The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the E-P1

Godfrey

Well I actually forgot a lens....ooops I also have the 25 lux.

For fast and long I don't have anything in m4/3 but I do have a wonderful Voigtlander 75 f2.5 and I have my whole Sony kit which includes the amazing Zeiss 135 f1.8.
Interesting to read about people's planned kits around the E-P1.

I will order one with the 17mm lens and OVF ... or body only + OVF if the Panasonic 20/1.7 is available. My adapted Cosmicar 12.5/1.4, G.Zuiko 40/1.4, and G.Zuiko 70/2 will likely be the most used alternative lenses on it. The Summilux 25 and Olympus 25 will both probably see a lot of use on it.

Can anyone confirm yet just how effective the AF is with non-CDAF Olympus/Panasonic-Leica lenses? I'll certainly want to use the 11-22, 35 Macro and 50-200 on it too, occasionally.

I won't order one until Lightroom supports it ... or if I have a windfall of extra cash happen out of the blue. Sometimes it does ... ! :)

Terry

Interesting to read about people's planned kits around the E-P1.
First I have to see if it is a keeper!

Mine should arrive at K&S later next week. In Jono's picture of the E-P1 the 50-200 doesn't seem balanced in any way and would never suit how I walk around with a camera. (at least my impression is that there would be stress on the mount if I used it with a strap over my shoulder).

The body only price doesn't seem priced particularly well compared to the kit prices. :mad:

Brian Mosley

Terry, I used the Lumix 45-200 on the E-P1 today - balances very well. You wouldn't seriously use a ZD 50-200 on this body! Lol

Cheers

Brian

Diane B

Brian, I've seen comparison shots of the EP-1 and the G1 around--but none of them were actual photos--really superimposed shots over each other. IF you still have the EP-1, would it be possible to show the 2 next to each other and maybe from the top--OR have you put somthing like that on your Safari site??

Hearing what people say that have them in hand or have tried them (EP-1) in shops, they all seem to say its not pocketable really---and def. not size of LX3 for instance and nice and dense so I just can't get a feel for size even with specs. Is it in the size range/weight of the G9 (which I have--and really like the size and feel in my hand with the Franiec grip)?

The reason I'm curious is I might be better off with a GH1 for a second body in the future--or perhaps some other camera since I'm not really comfortable without a VF--but--and there is a BUT--it might still be the camera for me in a VERY small bag or over shoulder like Terry mentions. The 17 is right in the FL range I like to shoot and I can see it as my carry around. I'm not sure I would even consider using other lenses on it--why not shoot with the G1 if you're going to add larger lenses (just thinking out loud LOL)???

Diane

Godfrey

Mine should arrive at K&S later next week. In Jono's picture of the E-P1 the 50-200 doesn't seem balanced in any way and would never suit how I walk around with a camera. (at least my impression is that there would be stress on the mount if I used it with a strap over my shoulder).
If you're going to be in the neighborhood to pick it up at K&S, give me a holler (contact page on gdgphoto.com). I live about 15 minutes from there ... we can do lunch or coffee. :)

I always use the ZD 50-200 on a tripod, and certainly would never hang a small body with such a large heavy lens off my shoulder via a neckstrap. I hate neckstraps anyway...! Panasonic spec's the lens mount as "safe" for up to a 1 kg lens but it would make me uncomfortable to have a thousand dollar lens hung on the lens mount like that.

The body only price doesn't seem priced particularly well compared to the kit prices.
I agree ... the 14-42 seems like quite a bargain at $50 over cost of the body. I really don't need another 14-42 zoom ... hardly use the three I've got ... so when I do buy it will most likely be the 17/OVF kit.

Godfrey

... The 17 is right in the FL range I like to shoot and I can see it as my carry around. I'm not sure I would even consider using other lenses on it--why not shoot with the G1 if you're going to add larger lenses (just thinking out loud LOL)???
I see it as a complement body to the E-1, L1 and G1 ... smaller, different feature mix... and yes: will likely shoot MOSTLY with a shortish prime lens only.

But one of the things I've been very happy about since I bought into FourThirds is the ability to swap around lenses between the L1 and E-1, then G1, etc. It adds to the potential of what I have in my lens kit and makes any body that can also use these lenses a plus.

In film days, my 35mm system kit was Nikon SLRs and Leica RFs, along with the Rollei 35S as pocketable ... I could pick up whichever camera/lens suited what I wanted to do and get the image quality, sensitivity, etc that I wanted. Here I finally have the same deal back again ... Compact, Pro, EVF-TTL and OVF bodies that can all make the same image quality ... and this time for bonus I can also use the same lenses across most of the bodies.

Terry

If you're going to be in the neighborhood to pick it up at K&S, give me a holler (contact page on gdgphoto.com). I live about 15 minutes from there ... we can do lunch or coffee. :)
Depending on which day they get them in I may be zooming down to get there before they close....so perhaps an aperitif instead of coffee :D.

The only other issue is finding a fully charged battery or we will be staring at a brick instead of playing with it. :ROTFL: I could get an extra battery from Amazon and they have knock off chargers. Anyone used an non Oly charger?

Godfrey

Depending on which day they get them in I may be zooming down to get there before they close....so perhaps an aperitif instead of coffee :D.
Fine by me. We could even do dinner for that matter. :)

...The only other issue is finding a fully charged battery or we will be staring at a brick instead of playing with it. I could get an extra battery from Amazon and they have knock off chargers. Anyone used an non Oly charger?
Most of the time the batteries are packaged with about 60-80% charge and don't lose much. I've often opened things up, tested the camera, then charged up the battery ... But a spare battery is something I always buy anyway.

I use third party chargers all the time. Never had any problems.

Diane B

I see it as a complement body to the E-1, L1 and G1 ... smaller, different feature mix... and yes: will likely shoot MOSTLY with a shortish prime lens only.

But one of the things I've been very happy about since I bought into FourThirds is the ability to swap around lenses between the L1 and E-1, then G1, etc. It adds to the potential of what I have in my lens kit and makes any body that can also use these lenses a plus.

In film days, my 35mm system kit was Nikon SLRs and Leica RFs, along with the Rollei 35S as pocketable ... I could pick up whichever camera/lens suited what I wanted to do and get the image quality, sensitivity, etc that I wanted. Here I finally have the same deal back again ... Compact, Pro, EVF-TTL and OVF bodies that can all make the same image quality ... and this time for bonus I can also use the same lenses across most of the bodies.

That makes sense to me--in fact, really a very nice situation. For me, I get no advantage unless I switch systems (unlikely at this point) so I'm back at the point of deciding whether I even need another m4/3rds body at this point. Likely, I will sit on the sidelines for now and consider what will come this Fall and look over what's out there.

Diane

jonoslack

HI There
Well - no pictures yet, but I had no choice of kits - it was the 14-42 or nothing.

I agree with Godfrey about batteries, I'm not precious about modern batteries. The reason mine went straight on charge yesterday was that we were off to a wedding and I wanted it to last all night . . . which it did. Not like the old days when it was really important to charge them properly to start with.

The kit zoom seems fine - it was fun having a little bag with an M8, the 14-42, the ep1, zeiss 50, leica 35 summarit (makes a lovely tiny 70mm f2.5 on the Olympus), and the 75 f2 leica (mmmm. small 150 f2!).

I'll try and get some processing done later, but right now the sun is out and the grass hasn't been cut for a fortnight!

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
. . .

In all of those 35mm cameras you mention, you can look through a viewfinder to see your image.
Without an OVF or EVF the E-P1 is emasculated. One of the attractions of m4/3 is the ability to use a huge range of lenses. Unless you are prepared to buy a half dozen optical finders, you can't use this camera in bright sunlight.
I tried doing it with my Dlux-4 on a trip to the UK recently, and it is hopeless - forget trying to get a tight crop on the image - it all becomes guesswork.
Why didn't they put in a chinzy optical OVF as in the Canon G10? - I can always fall back on that on sunny days.
Ricoh are masters of the external EVF, and I'm sure that Olympus will do this next, but Panny will beat them to it, and do a good job I'm sure. So I'm going to wait it out - and if I get desperate I'll buy a GH-1 body.

Keith

jonoslack

In all of those 35mm cameras you mention, you can look through a viewfinder to see your image.
Without an OVF or EVF the E-P1 is emasculated.
HI Keith . . . a feminine camera eh . . . what a splendid concept :)

Just to prove a point I've spent a happy hour taking photos with an old 50-200 pre SWD lens on the EP1 using S-AF+manual - splendid - works fine, handling is different of course, hold lens, dig elbow in ribs or whatever - there always seems to be some way of supporting it.

Results later

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
HI Keith . . . a feminine camera eh . . . what a splendid concept :)

Results later
Jono - I wondered if I should use that word, but it sounds good when you say it.:bugeyes: But, Olympus have chopped off an important part :eek:
Truth is I'm jealous that you've got one before me. But if my Panny strategy works, I'll have one before you :clap:

Let's see some pictures and stop mucking about

Keith

Diane B

The Online Photographer had a link for a Youtubes video about the EP-1 which gave me a good idea of size. Larger than I bet most are thinking that haven't seen or held it--but a nice size from my POV. I still think its a handsome camera body--this gives the chance to see silver/black and white/beige next to each other (I prefer the silver/black--it looks a lot like my old AE-1 and Mamiya though they had black leatherette spanning the cameras completely).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgbN1iiuEUM

If only for a VF *sigh*. I do have the really nice CV 35mm VF that will work with the 17 nicely but not sure how I feel about trying yet again a VFless camera with other lenses. If Panny would come out with a body more like this in the Fall (with all the GH1 has) I'd buy it in a minute--not disparaging this one at all. I really only seem to have one issue with it--but its a big one for me--not necessarily for others so, again--I'm waiting to see how others get on with it.

Hey, Jono--I'm with Keith--stop mucking about and post photos. We got OUR mowing done yesterday (oops--you were at a wedding).

Another EP-1 video that's helpful for getting size and dials/buttons in relation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfIAEeiQ2qU&feature=fvw

Diane

Last edited:
R

rover

I almost don't care to see what the results look like, I expect them to be wonderful. Maybe that is not 100% true, I want to see high ISO results that prove I am right thinking they will be wonderful.

I do want to hear about the handling and performance of the camera. How about that AF, fast? slow? just different but perfectly fine? What is your spin on the AF?

Terry

If only for a VF *sigh*. I do have the really nice CV 35mm VF that will work with the 17 nicely but not sure how I feel about trying yet again a VFless camera with other lenses. If Panny would come out with a body more like this in the Fall (with all the GH1 has) I'd buy it in a minute--not disparaging this one at all. I really only seem to have one issue with it--but its a big one for me--not necessarily for others so, again--I'm waiting to see how others get on with it.

Diane
Diane,
I'm getting good at swapping camera equipment. If Panasonic comes out with a body of similar size and is like the "dream" mockup circulating the internet (with detachable EVF), that WILL replace the E-P1. As you know the E-P1 is a trial for me and if I didn't order it right away, and waited for all of the reviews, I was sort of toast for the summer. So we shall see...