The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the E-P1

N

nei1

:Dand what beautiful nails the young man,second from last,has,...........nice image:wtf:.

kweide

WOW Jono. I took some of your wedding pics and chased them thru my PP. Boy... i now go for E-P1. Its great stuff and you are right. That is a fun-machine. But tell me more about the glass you used. I saw thru EXIF it must have been legacy glasses and DOF told me the same.

Nei1, dont be jealous, but she must be beautiful. He enjoyed ....
Klick pic to expand

View attachment 18660

Last edited:
The Online Photographer had a link for a Youtubes video about the EP-1 which gave me a good idea of size. Larger than I bet most are thinking that haven't seen or held it.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgbN1iiuEUM
Ver-ry interesting....

My immediate reaction is, for all practical purposes, this is about the same bulk as my beloved Digilux 2 (and since I got the G1 with 14-45, I´ve considered that one to be similar to the Digilux 2; I use the same bags for either).

I´ve somehow been led to believe that the EP-1 was just slightly larger than my D-Lux 4; it certainly isn´t. I´m afraid this put some cold water on my desire for the EP-1: it really doesn´t trump my present trio of cameras, rather the other way around.

Waiting for that mythical "second" Oly mFT later this year; meanwhile, I´ll pass on this one, :cool:

jonoslack

Ver-ry interesting....

My immediate reaction is, for all practical purposes, this is about the same bulk as my beloved Digilux 2 (and since I got the G1 with 14-45, I´ve considered that one to be similar to the Digilux 2; I use the same bags for either).
HI Per
it certainly feels a lot smaller than the G1 - especially if you stick a leica 35 summarit on the front.

I wouldn't get too excited about the next one, I suspect there will be 2

1. which is pretty much like the G1 - probably slightly cheaper than this
2. like this but weathersealed and with some kind of EVF, slightly larger and considerably more expensive.

I doubt there will be anything much smaller.

jonoslack

WOW Jono. I took some of your wedding pics and chased them thru my PP. Boy... i now go for E-P1. Its great stuff and you are right. That is a fun-machine. But tell me more about the glass you used. I saw thru EXIF it must have been legacy glasses and DOF told me the same.

Nei1, dont be jealous, but she must be beautiful. He enjoyed ....
Klick pic to expand

View attachment 18660
Hi Klaus
they look pretty good don't they - especially considering I hadn't a clue what I was doing . . . and I'd been drinking for about 5 hours before I started taking those low light shots :ROTFL:

I was using the Zeiss 50 f1.5 sonnar for most of them - usually at f1.5 or f2. There are one or two taken with the Leica 75 f2 summicron - again, mostly wide open.

helenhill

I was using the Zeiss 50 f1.5 sonnar for most of them - usually at f1.5 or f2. There are one or two taken with the Leica 75 f2 summicron - again, mostly wide open.
They Look Quite Refined & Lovely...:clap:
Thanx for Posting because I really had no Interest in this Cam
BUT Now YOU have turned my head around...Coool
Best- H

kai.e.g.

Someone pointed out elsewhere that you can tether a screen to the E-P1 via its HDMI port, which simply outputs what you'd normally see on the rear LCD. This leads me to wonder: 1) could a 3rd party shoe-mounted EVF be engineered with a cable connection down to the HDMI port (kind of like cold-shoe flashes of old)... or 2) more easily, could one similarly rig up a little shoe-mounted 3.5" screen which would be viewed straight down (ie, like a Hasselblad or TLR) ? I think I (or anyone) could do that 2nd option, but the first one would be even more tantalizing....

HI Per
it certainly feels a lot smaller than the G1 - especially if you stick a leica 35 summarit on the front.
Well, I just referred to my subjective impression from the videos. You´ve handled both cameras yourself, so I take your word for it...:salute:

2. like this but weathersealed and with some kind of EVF, slightly larger and considerably more expensive.

Maybe I wasn´t clear about what I expected; I thought this was something close to the DL4 (or maybe the DP2) in bulk, but with a 4/3 sensor. If it´s more similar to the G1, I don´t feel it´s worthwhile for me. BUT: anything in mFT that retains the EVF and swivelling screen of the G1, AND adds weather sealing and in-body IS for my old Leica glass will be very worthwhile, even if it´s a bit bigger than the G1 (and not the price of a M8..:eek:).

Godfrey

In all of those 35mm cameras you mention, you can look through a viewfinder to see your image.
Why didn't they put in a chinzy optical OVF as in the Canon G10?
Nonsense. The LCD is what I use *whenever* I'm working on a tripod nowadays, whether indoors or outdoors. Ever heard of a dark cloth? ];-) And I use the LCD when framing for a lot of work even when I do have an EVF or OVF nowdays. This is one of the plusses of the digital camera era.

I will buy just two OVFs: the one for the 17mm and one for my 40mm lenses (I already have that one, actually). Don't need any more.

I absolutely despise the crappy built-in OVF of the G10. It's utterly useless IMO ... I can't see a thing with it. Waste of money to put it on the camera. I'd rather have only the LCD and learn how to shade it from the sun.

Godfrey

... The only photographic issue I really have with the G1 now is DR (and likely all 4/3rds sensors). ...
Not that I believe the G1 sensor is on par with the DR of a sensor with 3.5x the area ... but I found on testing the G1 for DR that given the fact that the metering is not protective of highlights AND the set ISO is about .3-.5 EV pessimistic. This means its easy to overexpose highlights. Dial in a -.3 to -.5 EV Exposure compensation setting, and its DR is right in line with L1, E-1 and K10D bodies at around 9.5 stops (K10D is best at 10.5 stops and the L1/E-1 turn 10 stops).

Works well enough for me. :)

Godfrey

Good stuff, Jono!

Nice to hear that the AF works ... I don't need "fast" ... and the image quality looks very good.

my piggy bank looks very scared.

Quentin_Bargate

I should have guessed....:thumbup:

I'll see if I can get one with the pancake lens in a week or two. Its as a genuine dslr alternative carry anywhere that this camera interests me.

kai.e.g.

There are a couple of very nervous-looking EF lenses in my cupboard which have not been used for some time, and whose combined resale value just happens to equate to the price of a 2-lens EP-1 kit....

Diane B

HI Per

#2 would suit me but for the 'considerably more expensive'. Guess I'll have to wait and see or choose this one. I just like the slim design of this one and with an added smallish lens (17 or 20 or something like my Konica 40 f/1.7), it should be a good one for in a small handbag--men's or women's--rather than a camera bag. I often have my camera out carrying it and this looks like it would be so nice for that--planning to buy the Y strap right now.

Diane