The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the E-P1

Diane B

Thanks Terry. That was a good one. I especially liked seeing the 3 cameras together--gave me a much better idea of size with a camera I was familiar with.

Diane

Terry

Thanks Terry. That was a good one. I especially liked seeing the 3 cameras together--gave me a much better idea of size with a camera I was familiar with.

Diane
Hopefully I will have one this week and can post a whole series of side by sides with different lenses. The 25 lux didn't look so hideous on the camera. Wow that could be an interesting "party" lens for low light situations.

Diane B

No, it didn't. Playing around with my EF 28 f/1.8, I would really like a fast in that range that I can change apertures on without mounting on an EF body LOL (I do have an FD 24 f/2.8 but would really like a faster lens in this FL--there is an FD 24 f/2 that I passed up initially. I'll have to do a bit of looking around).

Looking forward to YOUR 'review' also. This has been a good thread--lots of things to consider from different viewpoints.

Diane

Last edited:

monza

Hopefully we'll get shipments this week, Olympus is training Tuesday. I might have to train them, thanks to this thread. :)

Godfrey

This is an interesting thread. Cartier-Bresson would not have used a tripod (we all agree on that). But he looked at life through his viewfinder which showed him maybe 90% of life. But he got it.

I don't think you can do that with an LCD. So, put on the OVF, and I have no problem with that. But you have to put on a new OVF for each one of your primes, and I don't know what you do with zooms. At least, Leica could accommodate a few lens changes without adding an OVF.
Of course you can do that with an LCD. Thousands of people do already.

I only need two OVFs, for wide-normal and portrait lenses. For my other lenses, I'll use the LCD.

MoJo

Registred Users
That B&W set of Dezemery's is INCREDIBLE, like Helen, it has sold me on this little camera. He has some incredible processing techniques too, i think.

davemillier

Tripods are required for low light landscape work (you know, before dawn, after sunset, shutter speeds of several seconds). I can see the advantage of a camera like the Ep1 then. If you are carrying a huge bag of cameras and lenses, the thought of a tripod can be a step too far. But if you are carrying a tiny camera and lens in a pocket with perhaps one spare lens, the tripod burden becomes modest. I tried this with the DP1. A 300g camera is nothing so I didn't have any bother with carrying a tripod.

That's my experience anyway. I can't use a viewfinderless camera like the DP1 for handheld use. Completely impossible, might as well shoot with my eyes shut. Ummm... good idea, might improve composition...

ps

We are off to iceland on Friday, and I'm going to put this theory to the test.

Hi Keith
I also have two tripods and a monopod . . . but they instantly kill every photographic instinct I have (few though they may be). I'm not working towards using them, I'm refining techniques for NOT using them.

The idea of buying an EP1 because it's small . . . . and then sticking it on a tripod . . . . seems very strange to me. If I really was willing to use a tripod, I'd use it on an MF body, or at least the A900.

I sometimes have photos ruined by camera shake, but I've never taken a photo on a tripod which was worth a damn (me of course).

davemillier

Yes, I looked, then rushed off to try and convert some of my shots to B&W trying various tools. Couldn't get anything with that range and depth of tone. I wonder how he does it.

That B&W set of Dezemery's is INCREDIBLE, like Helen, it has sold me on this little camera. He has some incredible processing techniques too, i think.

jonoslack

I don't think you can do that with an LCD. So, put on the OVF, and I have no problem with that. But you have to put on a new OVF for each one of your primes, and I don't know what you do with zooms. At least, Leica could accommodate a few lens changes without adding an OVF.
HI Keith
Well, I can't do it with an EVF, that's for sure, but actually, the LCD is different.

Remember that 4/3 has more dof then 35mm - if you're using, say, a 17mm lens (like the pancake), then if it's at f5.6 or thereabouts, then you can set the focus on manual, put it on 2.5 metres and blast away.

What I found myself doing at the wedding was holding the camera down at sternum height, using the lcd for framing (the angle is really good) and then using my eyes on the subject for the 'decisive moment'. This wasn't perfect in poor light of course, but it's how lots of people shoot rangefinders. Of course, with manual focus the shutter lag is very small too.

This is a 'different beast' IMHO and requires different techniques. I'm not going to be in a hurry to put an Optical viewfinder on mine though, because using the LCD as a rough guide and my eyes for confirmation seems a good way to go.

jonoslack

Yes, I looked, then rushed off to try and convert some of my shots to B&W trying various tools. Couldn't get anything with that range and depth of tone. I wonder how he does it.
Have you tried Silver efex pro?

Have a great trip to Iceland - will you be taking an Ep1 with you?

Sorry Jono but I coudn't wait for your results and thought that I would post someone else's who went to Berlin ... and it shoots in square format which is a plus so here they are and I hope that the photographer doesn't mind sharing them

http://mdezemery.zenfolio.com/p1018430367
FANTASTIC B&W Set...I'm Sold :cool:-H
Indeed a great bunch of pictures. But, honestly, don´t you think a good photographer could do that with some other camera as well?...:rolleyes:

(As you can see, I´m putting my defence up using any argument I can think of....:cry: )

J

jKK

Hello

I went to Jessops [London New Oxford St] yesterday
to check out the E-P1 !

They had one "use-able" display model that can be handled.
But . . .

Unfortunately the focus was no longer working on the zoom kit
lens.
Already broken after only 4 days on display !

The camera is quite nice tho !
PS they had sold out already

Can someone please try a Pen F lens on this camera, I
am keen to see the combo :)

-jkk

davemillier

I use Black and white styler from the Focal Blade people. I tried out silver efex but it is a silly price and I wasn't convinced.

Too soon for an EP1 for me; but I'm keeping an eye on what people say. Obviously, I'll have to wait a bit to evaluate your opinion; love at first sight, then sold two weeks later, LOL.

Iceland will be seeing: 5D, 450D, 20-35 Tokina, 70-210usm, 35mm/f2 Nikon. DP-1, ND grads, polariser, Sherpa pro CF tripod. That will all fit in one Microtrekker backback but even though I'm leaving a ton of stuff behind it still looks a lot to lug. An EP-1 and a couple of lenses would be a lot smaller!

So, what do you think. Could the EP1 + 2 lenses + tripod make a satisfactory landscape outfit for prints up to A3? Or is it a compromise too far?

Have you tried Silver efex pro?

Have a great trip to Iceland - will you be taking an Ep1 with you?

jonoslack

I use Black and white styler from the Focal Blade people. I tried out silver efex but it is a silly price and I wasn't convinced.

Too soon for an EP1 for me; but I'm keeping an eye on what people say. Obviously, I'll have to wait a bit to evaluate your opinion; love at first sight, then sold two weeks later, LOL.
I admit it all! Still, it doesn't mean I've changed my mind . . . I only had an E620 for 4 days . . . and I DID really like it, it was just that it wasn't going to fit in with what I already have usefully.

The danger for the E-P1 is that it will always seem better to take an M8 with me - that remains to be seen.

Iceland will be seeing: 5D, 450D, 20-35 Tokina, 70-210usm, 35mm/f2 Nikon. DP-1, ND grads, polariser, Sherpa pro CF tripod. That will all fit in one Microtrekker backback but even though I'm leaving a ton of stuff behind it still looks a lot to lug. An EP-1 and a couple of lenses would be a lot smaller!

So, what do you think. Could the EP1 + 2 lenses + tripod make a satisfactory landscape outfit for prints up to A3? Or is it a compromise too far?
I'm sure - quite certain in fact, I would have thought that for most purposes you could go up to a2

jonoslack

Indeed a great bunch of pictures. But, honestly, don´t you think a good photographer could do that with some other camera as well?...:rolleyes:

(As you can see, I´m putting my defence up using any argument I can think of....:cry: )
Hi there Per
Of course, mine could have been taken with any other camera which would mount both Olympus and leica lenses . . . . and Marc's could only really have been taken by Marc - not sure that the camera is important!

Still - now I know your reason for being critical I'll try and find some more reasons for you not to buy it.

. . . I have to say, I thought the body material was a bit . . .erm . . flashy - I prefer low key.

there - does that make it better :ROTFL:

davemillier

Can we just go over that point again...

I have been looking for a way to carry a lightweight camera outfit dedicated to landscape use. So lightweight I would actually bother to take a tripod.

I have a e410 and the two tiny kit lenses but I have never considered it for this role even though it sounds suited, mainly because all the reviews and sniping comments about its small sensor, softness, noise and limited DR have put me off even trying it out seriously.

Are you saying 4/3 can be taken seriously in this role? If so, is there much difference in A3 print quality between the E410 and EP1? How would either compare to 450D and 5D up to A3? Why am I even asking you this when I already own 3 of the 4 cameras????

The trouble with reading forums is that sometimes the opinions seem to override the evidence of your own eyes...

I admit it all! Still, it doesn't mean I've changed my mind . . . I only had an E620 for 4 days . . . and I DID really like it, it was just that it wasn't going to fit in with what I already have usefully.

The danger for the E-P1 is that it will always seem better to take an M8 with me - that remains to be seen.

I'm sure - quite certain in fact, I would have thought that for most purposes you could go up to a2

Terry

Can we just go over that point again...

I have been looking for a way to carry a lightweight camera outfit dedicated to landscape use. So lightweight I would actually bother to take a tripod.

I have a e410 and the two tiny kit lenses but I have never considered it for this role even though it sounds suited, mainly because all the reviews and sniping comments about its small sensor, softness, noise and limited DR have put me off even trying it out seriously.

Are you saying 4/3 can be taken seriously in this role? If so, is there much difference in A3 print quality between the E410 and EP1? How would either compare to 450D and 5D up to A3? Why am I even asking you this when I already own 3 of the 4 cameras????

The trouble with reading forums is that sometimes the opinions seem to override the evidence of your own eyes...
I think the sensors used in 4/3 and m4/3 have gotten considerably better since the 410. This is on both ends of the spectrum noise and dynamic range. Certainly I would print a G1 image at A3.

I think the EP1 and G1 share sensors and Oly has certainly improved the firmware.