The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the E-P1

Terry

Here are the goodies and the bag. I think I have a rear cap in the car so I left the E-P1 and kit out. Generally I have at least one camera out of the bag but I can get everything in. The pancake and 50 lux are back to back in the same pouch. I did that a lot with my M8 that also has some really small lenses. Yesterday I had the two Oly lenses back to back and the Leica lens between two of the padded pouches.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
If I had the choice I would buy the Oly in a heart beat. The G1 like for Mike just would not be worth holding onto. The EVF on these things are not that great anyway. Okay that came a MF shooter with a big as day viewfinder.:D

To me coming from a history of the M8 the Oly just reminds me so much of it as a RF camera to throw in the little Domke and run out the door. Most likely sell my G10 and get one but first I want to see about raw converters and if C1 will support it. Most liky get a 7-14 a 17 pancake and something like a Oly 50mm Macro f2 which would also be a nice 100mm portrait look lens wide open. Obviously for me this would be my toy.

Godfrey

I've been really tempted by the 25 f/1.4 but it is really larger than I'd like for this system.
It is large, but it's a great lens. I use it mostly with the L1 and E-1, but when you need a normal and it's dim out, it's the one to have.

I was interested in how others would use it if they had the G1/GH1 and I can see everyone has a bit different way/reason. I'm still honestly not sure w/o the VF if I would get a lot of use out of it. I'm not a tele shooter (thus less interest in IS)--my 45-200 is rarely on my camera-- I'm not a street shooter--and sometimes critical focus (MF) is very important to me and I'm just not sure about that with only an LCD.
The G1's 'two-button-press to get to focus assist' is much more convenient than the E-P1's 'get to the right info screen, press ok, dial in magnification'. But beyond that, the screen and magnification seem just as easy to use as it is with the G1. The real question is whether you prefer to use a TTL eye-level viewfinder more.

Personally, I see the E-P1 as my two-three lens camera: the 12.5mm, the 17mm, and a 35-40mm will be just right. Wide lenses are easier to use with the LCD than long teles, unless I'm using a tripod (then teles are great!).

I see these two cameras as two complementary bodies with different feature sets and very similar image quality potential. If you find you use the viewfinder a lot with the G1, and prefer it for your critical focus work, I'd say the E-P1 is probably not the right camera for you. I'd wait for the next Olympus before doing it.

There's no need to be in a hurry. Consider your photography and act on that basis.

I saw the Cube with the EP-1 .. LOL
Someday I'll give you all a real laugh and dig up the photo of my ultraminiature Minox IIIS fitted to a 22lb pro tripod and head ... ];-)

Godfrey

If I had the choice I would buy the Oly in a heart beat. The G1 like for Mike just would not be worth holding onto. The EVF on these things are not that great anyway. Okay that came a MF shooter with a big as day viewfinder.
I've compared the G1's viewfinder with my Pentax 645 and Hasselblad 500CM prism finders. Frankly, I prefer the G1's finder: it's brighter and easier to set critical focus manually, even with slow lenses stopped down to f/8-f/11 and extremely wide lenses (like Terry's G Vario 7-14mm f/4). Far as I'm concerned, it blows away the Canon and Nikon "full frame" DSLR viewfinders completely.

All a matter of opinion and preference, of course. I'm fussy about certain aspects of viewfinders and not about others. To date, the only two optical reflex viewfinders I miss are the Nikon F3/T and Leica R8. The rest, eh? the G1's EVF does a better job of what I want a viewfinder to do.

That said ... I will buy the Oly anyway. It services another kind of work better than the G1, that's all, and the fact that it shares the lenses makes it affordable. :)

lambert

To me coming from a history of the M8 the Oly just reminds me so much of it as a RF camera to throw in the little Domke and run out the door.
I thought the same when I first picked up the EP1. But the gritty, low res LCD on the EP1 and the crystal clear finder on the M8 make for a very different shooting experience. Shooting with the EP1 is like shooting with your basic point and shoot.

Guy Mancuso

No doubt , for me the EP-1 is really something to play with so not a big a deal since i shoot medium format backs for the real work. Seems like a step up from my G10 which I never use the finder anyway.

Terry

I thought the same when I first picked up the EP1. But the gritty, low res LCD on the EP1 and the crystal clear finder on the M8 make for a very different shooting experience. Shooting with the EP1 is like shooting with your basic point and shoot.
Ahh but a point and shoot that allows me to do a better job getting my shots in critical focus which is better than I was getting with the M8 wide open :ROTFL:

lambert

Ahh but a point and shoot that allows me to do a better job getting my shots in critical focus which is better than I was getting with the M8 wide open :ROTFL:
I guess it depends how and what you shoot. You can fire up an M8 and focus your f1.4 lens quick smart. On the EP1 you need to go through half a dozen button presses. This may be fine for stills and landscapes but is clumsy for pretty much anything else.

Going completely off-topic: looks like a VERY nice bag, Terry. Not at all like most of Lowe-Pro´s line so far (and I´m no fan of theirs...:cool:). Seems most Swedish dealers are still waiting for delivery...

I took a picture of my bag with my m4/3 kit. Small bag with lots of stuff. So the whole thing is very easy to grab and go for the day.....
In my small Lowepro Terraclime 100 bag I had both bodies, 7-14, 14-45, 45-200, 17, 14-42, 50 lux.....
Here are the goodies and the bag. I think I have a rear cap in the car so I left the E-P1 and kit out. Generally I have at least one camera out of the bag but I can get everything in. The pancake and 50 lux are back to back in the same pouch. I did that a lot with my M8 that also has some really small lenses. Yesterday I had the two Oly lenses back to back and the Leica lens between two of the padded pouches.

Terry

Per

I like the bag a lot. Not very big. No velcro on the outer closure :clap:. Also comes in black or a light green. Not a lot of padding (which I like) but this size bag also comes with a wrap for the camera.

View attachment 19009

the name of the series is called terraclime

.... oh and to bring it back on topic. If you are going out with just the E-P1 and an extra battery and lens here is the smaller size

Guy Mancuso

I have a smaller version for my G10 and actually showed Terry these bags at PMA. What I like about them is you can cross shoulder them and put them in the side of your back and not even feel you are carrying a bag at all. Also i hate a lot of padding which these do not have.

back alley

funny how people dislike velcro.

the smaller bag reminds me of the domke 5xb.
interesting clasp on these, is it easy to use with one hand?

joe

Guy Mancuso

You have to get used to it Joe. You can do one hand but certainly slower than Velcro. Harder to put back on than release

back alley

maybe that's why i'm ok with velcro, i can do it with only one hand, all others require 2 hands.
i'm looking for a small one camera, maybe 2 lens bag and will check this series out.

joe

back alley

no crack intended terry...
it's usually the sound that bothers people.

i use duct tape and cover more than half the velcro.

joe

Godfrey

I'm very taken with the Terraclime 100 too. Sigh. As if the dozen or three bags I already have aren't enough. Best bag out of Lowepro I've seen in a long while.

I hate velcro closures too. I do like velcro on the interior to allow easily repositionable dividers and padding, however. Billingham does this just right.

Diane B

Here we have the detachable EVF!!!:D

Karl
This is how Uwe Steinmuller is shooting with his EP-1--and other small cams. I get that this makes usability much easier for folks like me that just have issues with shooting with the LCD--but it rather defeats the purpose of small, doesn't it? I did look at it on his site awhile ago and even considered it for my G9 at one point, but never went further than that.

Diane