The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the E-P1

jonoslack

You lucky one.... none 17mm kit here in Germany.....But i can live with that for the next 3 weeks. Tomorrow i will leave for Italy vacation and yes, the E-P1 is with us...the white one.
Have a great time Klaus
I hope the weather is better than it is here!

K

Kevin_b1

Have to say really liking this camera, got the 14-42mm kit lens waiting for the 17mm to arrive here in the UK.

Attached are some photos from the first couple of days.

Regards

Kevin

Diane B

Well--got to drool over the EP-1 today when I skipped down to Charlotte to try one out--and pick up a 17 f/2.8. The salesperson (who is an Oly shooter) had sold an EP-1 this morning--and they have one more. No more lenses, so I lucked out, but they expect more of both very soon.

Overall--I liked the camera very much. He said that the man who bought it this morning took it out in the bright sunlight (we happened to be there--precariously driving through Charlotte's always under construction streets in a 'toad strangler'--for those not Southern--this is about as fast as water can fall from the skies LOL--so I couldn't try it out in sunshine) to try it, shot for awhile, came back and said "YES--gotta' have it". So--there you are LOL. I thought the LCD was quite alright. The 14-42 did nicely, focused quick enough. I took 2 MF lenses--tried those out with adaptors (an FD and the MA-1) and they did very well. Focused nicely--though we couldn't figure out how to get to the MF assist--got the manual out and tried, but he was busy, so since I KNEW it worked, wasn't concerned. However--focusing normally with it set to MF--worked just fine when I turned the focusing ring of the two MF lenses. I also took the 9-18 and tried it with the MA-1 and it did just great.

So---I came away thinking this would be a terrific camera to own. I was more emotionally taken with its form--liked it in hand very much--but couldn't, in the end, justify 2 m4/3rds bodies right now and I don't think I would give up the G1 for it.

The 17 f/2.8 makes the G1 a very small package--it protrudes just to about the grip--perhaps a bit more--on the G1. It did great AF in our very dark end of our studio/office a bit ago without any problem at all. Think I'm going to like it very much. I'll do some shooting with it tomorrow when I have time.

Diane

Diane B

Here's the 17mm on my G1.
Thanks Monza. I mentioned in my lower light shots on other thread that I would post a pic of the 17 on the G1--but now I won't need to.

I really like the lens on the G1--mainly shot at f/2.8 tonight with higher ISO, but no hesitation on AF--and quiet also. The lens doesn't protrude much more than the grip so its quite a nice little package. I'm going to try and take some time and go out and shoot primarily with the 17 tomorrow sometime--various subjects, apertures, etc.

I did forget to mention MF focusing with it--just twist the focusing ring is all it needs.

If you like this FL--I suspect you will like the lens. It keeps it small, light and gives us a faster AF lens.

I might mention--as Terry did--the teeny tiny lens cap. I can see it disappearing quickly so guess I need to start looking for some extras.

Diane

C

chingwa

Any chance we can see a video shot with that Summilux, mike? Terry? :D Or a side by side comparison with the m8?

I also have a question about aperture... does the e-p1 automatically correct for the lighting when you are setting up a shot? So what I mean is if you focus at 1.4 and then stop it down to 8.0, does the lcd get too dark to see or does it automatically compensate for the reduced aperture?

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Any chance we can see a video shot with that Summilux, mike? Terry? :D Or a side by side comparison with the m8?

I also have a question about aperture... does the e-p1 automatically correct for the lighting when you are setting up a shot? So what I mean is if you focus at 1.4 and then stop it down to 8.0, does the lcd get too dark to see or does it automatically compensate for the reduced aperture?
I'll see if I can do a comparison of the 50 pre lux on the M8 vs the E-P1. What I can tell you is that the 50 lux is essentially glued onto my E-P1, and I really love the files. So much so, that I haven't really picked up my M8 at all in the past week.

Regarding the LCD... it "gains up" so that it will be bright when you stop down the lens. You'll see some obvious noise in the LCD image as it gains up, but at least you can use the LCD for focusing even when stopped down.

monza

It's nice to see the Olympus getting so many positives. Of course, us G1 owners have been enjoying the 50 Lux and other great lenses on micro 4/3 since last fall. :)