The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the E-P1

Terry

Yes, when the dealer was showing me the opening they simply turned it and the only time I used the "lever" is to lock it.

durrIII

Well, that's good. I thought I had broken mine already! I am going to try the movie thing out today. My daughter is playing Millie in "Thoroughly Modern Millie" and I will see how it does at dress rehearsal. Thanks Terry

T

terryc

I am have been having a ton of fun with the E-P1, especially with the Panasonic lenses 45-200 and 7-14. Without testing I find the Panny lenses seem to auto focus a bit faster the the Olympus KIT and the 17mm.

My own feeling is the AF is a bit of a tempest in a tea pot, it is early days and I am sure Olympus is busy on the next rev of the camera and firmware, etc.

Using the 17mm Olympus lens with the OVF in mode 3 has some advantages and I have been using this as sort of zone focusing method. Once you get used to it - mode 3 can be very quick.

From the weekend at the local version of Alice In the Park.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/streetfusion/sets/72157621353808506/show/

V

Vivek

Terry C, Any samples taken with the 17mm that you can point to? TIA.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Terry,

Can you explain what you mean by "mode 3"? Is this an autofocus mode or something?

Thanks,
Mike

jonoslack

I got it to work using HexEdit on Mac OS, replacing all the E-30 strings with E-P1 in the ImageCore.dylib file in the Capture One v4.8.1 trial version. There may be a better way, but this one worked for me. No guarantees/warranties, you are on your own, proceed at your own risk. :)
Thank you - I used BBEdit - also seems to work fine (and I don't have an E30)

T

terryc

Terry,

Can you explain what you mean by "mode 3"? Is this an autofocus mode or something?

Thanks,
Mike
Greetings Mike,

Mode 3 ties the AEL-AEF button to autofocus the camera and the shutter button is exclusively for exposure and shooting the picture (very little shutter lag). Once you press the button focus locks and you can shoot away - so most everything in the depth of field zone of the original focus lock will stay in relative focus (depending on F Stop, etc) until you press the AEL-AEF button again.

Give it try - takes getting used to.

Best regards. Terry.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Terry. I have been using the "mode 3" that you are referring too as my standard setup for the past few days. I just wanted to make sure you weren't referring to a different mode 3, as I didn't realize that separating AF from exposure lock would speed up the AF capability.

It makes sense. I use mode 3, and center point focusing. I pick something to focus on, then point at a highlight and lock exposure, then recompose to shoot.

The only problem with this method is shooting moving subjects.

That's why I wish Olympus had 2-3 custom settings on the top dial, where we could store our settings, and the quickly shift to a different setup.

Mike

T

terryc

Thanks Terry. I have been using the "mode 3" that you are referring too as my standard setup for the past few days. I just wanted to make sure you weren't referring to a different mode 3, as I didn't realize that separating AF from exposure lock would speed up the AF capability.

It makes sense. I use mode 3, and center point focusing. I pick something to focus on, then point at a highlight and lock exposure, then recompose to shoot.

The only problem with this method is shooting moving subjects.

That's why I wish Olympus had 2-3 custom settings on the top dial, where we could store our settings, and the quickly shift to a different setup.

Mike
Certainly agree. The other thing I have done is made sure that release priority is on. So even if the E-P1 hasn't quite figured out the AF I can get a shot or two - most of the time (famous last words) the images are OK.

Best regards, Terry.

Last edited:

Rawfa

Sadly I've been working hard and hadn't have the chance to the take the E-P1 for a real test drive (if the weather is right I'll be taking it into a small trip this weekend). For now here are just a couple of experimental self portraits and a shot of my wife:

Brian Mosley

Sadly I've been working hard and hadn't have the chance to the take the E-P1 for a real test drive (if the weather is right I'll be taking it into a small trip this weekend). For now here are just a couple of experimental self portraits and a shot of my wife:

This one is terrific Rafael! well done, and thanks for sharing.

Kind Regards

Brian

T

terryc

Thanks a bunch, Terry! They look good.:) My sample (17/2.8) is on its way now.

BTW, that 45-200 shots at 200mm (from your earlier set) are fabulous!
Vivek,

Thank you. Question for you - in another post you mentioned the importance of the M adapter being used relative to image quality, such CA, etc. Can you elaborate, I have the Novoflex adapter which they replaced - the new(er) version allows a lens change without taking the adapter off the camera and corrects a (there words) machining error. At the time of purchase (late October early November) it was the only adapter available locally. It seems to work but I have not done any minute testing, etc.

TIA, Best regards, Terry.

Leica 77

A couple from yesterday working with Monochrome red filter and highlight spot metering. All with the 17mm pancake.

The conservatory in Golden Gate Park. The colors were so lush it felt criminal to make the pictures in B&W but this is going to be one of my first outings with a converted IR camera

Hello TEBnewyork,
Simply gorgeous! I enjoyed visiting the Conservatory in Golden Gate Park when I lived in the Bay Area as a university student. All the best, Leica 77 :)

V

Vivek

Hi Terry, I think the Novoflex adapter also should have proper paint but the Cameraquest/RayQual has an edge over the others in that they have a little plastic ring in the rear (to protect the lens contact pins in the camera). This also acts as an additional (stray) light proofing element. Quite an ingenious design. The reason why I keep claiming this is the best M adapter there is.:)

T

terryc

Hi Terry, I think the Novoflex adapter also should have proper paint but the Cameraquest/RayQual has an edge over the others in that they have a little plastic ring in the rear (to protect the lens contact pins in the camera). This also acts as an additional (stray) light proofing element. Quite an ingenious design. The reason why I keep claiming this is the best M adapter there is.:)
Thanks Vivek! I just might have to order a RayQual.

Best regards, Terry.

scho

A few snaps with the E-P1 and kit lens from an evening walk through the Cornell arboretum.