The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 vs. E-P1 size comparison

Terry

I was losing the light very quickly sorry for the blecchhhhh shots with motion blur but I was already up to 1600 ISO. This should give you a good idea of size.

With the GRD and TS! (waterproof thrown in the mix)

Diane B

Thanks Terry. Good size comparison. It actually looks as though if you cut off the grip on the G1--and the protuberance front and rear of the EVF (and of course the 'hump')--there wouldn't be a lot of difference. So--somehow they (Panny and Oly) will have to figure out how to fit an EVF into the camera to keep at least the G1 size (or a decent external EVF). I like the grip on the EP-1--i added the Franiec grip to my G9 and that's enough--as I think the EP-1 would be--esp. since it has the leather/leatherette.

The other thing I like about it are the clean lines--the recessed mode dial, etc. The 14-42 is obviously smaller too (but without hood) and we know how small/light the 14-45 is.

Thanks so much--off to bed here on the east coast. I'll be looking forward to images from it in the next few days--or maybe by the weekend. Glad someone on this side of the pond finally has one.

Diane

Terry

The E-p1 feels much smaller than the G1 in the hand partially because I seem to hold it differently. I met Godfrey for some coffee and he has the SD card with those shots on it. Hopefully he will post them later tonight or in the AM. I have a couple of shots but was losing battery and light very quickly by the time I got back to the city.

back alley

the oly seems not that much smaller really.
i like the grip on the g1 but then i try to add a grip to all my cameras.

i wonder about the oly being pocketable as compared the something like the grd, now that is a small camera.

i'm starting to think of the oly as a second body when/if they are eve sold w/o lens.
for me, the panasonic 20/1.7 is still the next lens on the list.

joe

Terry

While it doesn't look all that much different, I hold the two very differently. On the G1 I always grab it from the grip. On the E-P1 I seem to take my left hand Here is a low res self portrait with my iPhone.

View attachment 18830

f6cvalkyrie

Hi Terry,

interesting comparaison !

I saw the smallest of the 4 is the Lumix TS1, and it is water- and dustproof. That would be interesting for my holidays !
Do you have pictures made with it yet ?
I couldn't find much about this camera on the net :mad:

C U,
Rafael

Diane B

i'm starting to think of the oly as a second body when/if they are eve sold w/o lens.
for me, the panasonic 20/1.7 is still the next lens on the list.

joe
That's the direction I will go--or perhaps whatever Panasonic comes out with in the Fall. I'm happy enough with the G1 overall--attracted a lot probably by the EP-1's design, but in the end I've only ordered the 17 f/2.8 lens. I feel sure i will buy the 20 and then may sell the 17, but decided for the summer I really wanted the small faster lens for a one lens combo on the Y strap or tucked into a small handbag. Add my Konica 40 f/1.7 slipped into a pocket, and I'd be set for 90% of my shooting I bet (other than travel where I'd carry a small bag with 9-18 and 14-45 I would guess--I find, as with my Canons, I rarely shoot above 90-135mm).

Diane

Last edited:

Terry

so, what are you pressing the shutter release with normally?

isn't it on the right hand?
No, i bring my right hand in ....for the controls. Will need to soot shot again with full battery. Battery was charging last night.

Last edited:

Martin S

Terry

Did u get the 17 mm??? I only see the kit zoom.

Did ur retailer have any 17's??? I heard a rumor that they will be initially in short supply.

Martin

back alley

That's the direction I will go--or perhaps whatever Panasonic comes out with in the Fall. I'm happy enough with the G1 overall--attracted a lot probably by the EP-1's design, but in the end I've only ordered the 17 f/2.8 lens. I feel sure i will buy the 20 and then may sell the 17, but decided for the summer I really wanted the small faster lens for a one lens combo on the Y strap or tucked into a small handbag. Add my Konica 40 f/1.7 slipped into a pocket, and I'd be set for 90% of my shooting I bet (other than travel where I'd carry a small bag with 9-18 and 14-45 I would guess--I find, as with my Canons, I rarely shoot above 90-135mm).

Diane
hmmm, i hadn't thought about what panasonic might do next. the 20/1.7 will be appreciated here more in winter when my shooting is mostly done in available darkness.

joe

Terry

No I ended up with the zoom kit and I will have to get the 17 lens on its own. I haven't decided on viewfinder yet. Not sure when the 17mm kit is shipping which was the problem for me (if I wanted to take the camera on my holidays). Once more people have the 17 kit I could sell the 14-42 to someone who needs one.

Last edited:

monza

We are getting 17mm inventory in on Friday, but I'm not sure how many. The Olympus rep stated that initial orders are 2:1 in favor of the 17mm kit over the zoom kit. If that holds up, it bodes well for more primes. :)

D

ddk

Congratulations Terry, you are a getdpi gear sl.t, well you know what, like the rest of us :cool:, might as well get one of Guy's Street Walker Pro bags and make it official! :D

Diane B

No I ended up with the zoom kit and I will have to get the 17 lens on its own. I haven't decided on viewfinder yet. Not sure when the 17mm kit is shipping which was the problem for me (if I wanted to take the camera on my holidays). Once more people have the 17 kit I could sell the 14-42 to someone who needs one.
Terry, IF I end up with the EP-1--and I am getting the 17 now---I'll use my CV 35mm VF. I bet it will be brighter--and it does have parallax error lines. I've already adapted to using it for 4:3--and of course with the EP-1 you aren't kept to that aspect ratio anyhow---I really like the 6 x 6. I expect the CV is pricier than the Oly, but thought you might have one left from rangefinders.

Diane