The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dilemma

V

Vivek

I handled an EP-1 today and am convinced about my thoughts about it.

So damned cute!:) No finder and no swivel screen. :mad:

Should I grab the 125 Euro cash back opportunity from Panasonic and grab one of the last G1s at this price ro should I wait for future products from Panasonic or, heavens forbid, Olympus?

Any news about any future offerings in the m4/3rds camera front?

Taken with a G1 and a Computar-TV 25/1.3 after handling the EP-1.

D

ddk

I'm waiting on the GH1, personally I think that in time the video option is going to add another dimension to street, travel and family photography as it already has to some with wedding and event photography. I agree with you regarding the EP-1's shortcomings I looked at it too, I need a finder.

simonclivehughes

I have the same feeling, Vivek, I was holding out high hopes for the EP-1 but without at least a finder (let alone the swivel screen), it makes no sense to me.

On the other hand, I already have two G1 bodies. I've always loved having two bodies with different lenses, so the kit lenses reside on them. My dilemma is going to be which lens do I swap out with the 7-14mm when I get it!

Cheers,

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
The big issue here is time - how long will it take for Panasonic to come up with a challenger. I think that camera will have an external evf, which I crave.
I'm can't wait.
This camera doesn't have all I would like, but I'm emotionally involved with it, just like you must be Vivek. The Pen FT was a lovely camera and the lenses are special. This camera just reeks of the Pen.
So I'm getting one (in two weeks, I hope) Justified because;
it has in-body stabilization, is small, is good in the streets, and can back up my G1

c'est la vie

Keith

RonSmith

I bought the G1 in May and I'm delighted with it. I have no interest in video, so the GH1 didn't particularly interest me. The Olympus looks interesting, but since I like using my Leica M and Nikkor lenses, the lack of a EVF is a significant shortcoming to me.

Terry

The big issue here is time - how long will it take for Panasonic to come up with a challenger. I think that camera will have an external evf, which I crave.
I'm can't wait.
This camera doesn't have all I would like, but I'm emotionally involved with it, just like you must be Vivek. The Pen FT was a lovely camera and the lenses are special. This camera just reeks of the Pen.
So I'm getting one (in two weeks, I hope) Justified because;
it has in-body stabilization, is small, is good in the streets, and can back up my G1

c'est la vie

Keith
My best guess (perhaps dream) is the 17mm pancake comes out this fall with a new camera body style attached to it including a detachable evf :D

Y.B.Hudson III

form foLLows function...Why would Panasonic want to follow the E pEE 1 foLLy... all I see are vendors trying to hype it...

Last edited:

Terry

form foLLows function...Why would Panasonic want to follow the E pEE 1 foLLy... all I see are shiLLs and vendors trying to hype it...
Pretty harsh assessment for something that seems to be working well for a lot of people. Perhap not your style but does that make it a bad camera?

monza

For me the E-P1 looks like a nice complement to the G1...no, it doesn't have articulating screen or EVF, but it does have video and image stabilization and is reasonably pocketable. As long as I don't put the 50/0.95 on it. :)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Pretty harsh assessment for something that seems to be working well for a lot of people. Perhap not your style but does that make it a bad camera?
No, this is not a bad camera. Just the opposite.
It is a sea-shift in digital photography, but perhaps just eclipsed by the Panasonic G1?
This could be as important to the digital photography world as Barnack's efforts were to film.

Onwards and upwards.

Keith

Last edited:

apicius9

Strange, the EP-1 has no appeal whatsoever for me, and I can't even really explain why. I just still love the more 'real camera-like' look and feel of the G1. I have big hands, and the G1 is the smallest I can comfortably go with if I want to really fiddle around with lenses and controls. For the quick snapshots I have an LX3 that also covers the rare occasions where I remember that a video might be nice.... My only thought is that I might eventually exchange the G1 body for a GH1 down the road but not in the near future. Unless someone tells me that wide angle c-mount lenses work with less vignetting on the GH1 ;)

Stefan

Y.B.Hudson III

yehh... Olympus peak'd with the Brilliant C-5050... pop out LCD...and a fabulous fast Lens... I reaLLy don't know what they were thinking when they designed the E pEE 1... If I wanted a chic magnet camera...t' Canon D-10 is off the scale for cuteness...and is waterpr00f...to b00t...in case you drop it in your beer...like I did with my now dead GRD:)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

It is definitely cute enough for me to take a look but left me in tears after fondling it a bit due to lack of usefulness.:cry:

Computar 25/1.3 wide open on the G1 (The Computar would have made a great combo with an EP-1)

I have no need for videos at the moment. GH-1 is off the table.

Thanks folks for your responses!:)

S

S.P.

The EP-1 is a beauty!

BUT I hate taking pictures with a camera which only has a screen.

Especially with my adapted LEICA M-Glass this is really uncomfortabel.

So I don´t buy the EP-1.

I don´t need another toy, I only work with real tools.

Last edited:

Jonas

It is not a dilemma; My best images have been taken with cameras I know well and like to use. There is no perfect camera but for me it can't lack essential features - then it won't make me happy using it and there will be few good images. Reading your first post make me think "Just return it".

regards, /Jonas

Rick Waldroup

yehh... Olympus peak'd with the Brilliant C-5050... pop out LCD...and a fabulous fast Lens... I reaLLy don't know what they were thinking when they designed the E pEE 1... If I wanted a chic magnet camera...t' Canon D-10 is off the scale for cuteness...and is waterpr00f...to b00t...in case you drop it in your beer...like I did with my now dead GRD:)
At least your GRD died happy.....;);)

V

Vivek

Jonas, I have to buy it to to be able to return it!

Just like the Olympus O-product (talk about a cute camera!),

I could never bring myself to reach for my wallet.

pellicle

Hi

I handled an EP-1 today and am convinced about my thoughts about it.

So damned cute!:) No finder and no swivel screen. :mad:
I know ... its attractive isn't it ...

Should I grab the 125 Euro cash back opportunity from Panasonic and grab one of the last G1s at this price ro should I wait for future products from Panasonic or, heavens forbid, Olympus?
I guess that this means you're not tempted by it?

I don't see the point of another G1 body, but the thing is that when I hand my G1 to my wife she prefers to use it with the screen swiveled back and locked flat ... viewfinders are a problem for her as she never got the hang of putting it close to her face so never saw just what was in frame.

so I think it'd work well for a camera to take with us which she'll be as happy to use as me :)

and I already have a G1 body...

Diane B

I'm sure I never saw that O camera LOL.

The EP-1 appeals to me on several different levels--I really like the slimness of it and the lack of the larger grip of the G1 (but OTOH--that grip does make it extremely easy to handle for me with average size hands) but what looks like enough grip to be useful. The design w/o the EVF is quite handsome--but the EVF is what 'makes' the G1 the camera that's useful for me and that I enjoy shooting with. So--it probably will not find a place with me. I bought (supposed to ship today or maybe next week) the 17 which will make my G1 quite a small package.

Secondly--well, I guess in truth there is no 'secondly'--its the design that catches my eye and I haven't seen a compelling reason to buy it as a second m4/3rds body for myself. I can see it for others--and there's no doubt its handsome with the Leica lenses. I don't use the LCD for anything but tripod shooting--and rarely have the G1 on a tripod--usually in hand. So--guess that tells me to just enjoy others enjoyment in the camera and see what is coming down the pike from both Panasonic and Olympus for Fall.

If I were going to buy another m4/rds body now, it would be the GH1. My hope is for a body similar to this (really a slimmer body) with EVF--likely as an accessory--because I really do like the slimmer body and would consider it--all other things being equal to the GH1 or better.

Diane

Last edited: