The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 and LX3 combination?

E

EWR72

I own and really enjoy using the LX3 but I am very interested in the G1 as a lightweight two camera travel combination. I managed to have a look at both the G1 and E-P1 last week but liked the swivel screen of the G1 and the option of the EVF. I have various A3 prints from the LX3 framed on the walls so I am sure the G1 would have no problem with this size. Does anybody shoot with both of these cameras together when they go on holidays?

I own and really enjoy using the LX3 but I am very interested in the G1 as a lightweight two camera travel combination. I managed to have a look at both the G1 and E-P1 last week but liked the swivel screen of the G1 and the option of the EVF. I have various A3 prints from the LX3 framed on the walls so I am sure the G1 would have no problem with this size. Does anybody shoot with both of these cameras together when they go on holidays?
Yes, if you substitute the D-Lux 4 for the LX3, that´s my present arsenal (together with my cherished Digilux 2 for special occasions...).

I can tell you they complement each other quite well (if you really need to complement the LX3, that is. More about that later). The G1 provides a big sensor, a (perfectly usable) eye-level EVF, and a swivelling screen, also a decent range of lenses (plus a huge number of legacy ones): it´s almost the equal of a dSLR system with one fourth the bulk (if you have a few lenses). The DL4 (and assuredly the LX3 as well) is a great pocket camera, with small sensor, fixed short but fast zoom and "less comprehensive viewfinder solutions", to coin a silly phrase. But, it does contribute about half of my shots, and I seldom have to make any excuses for the IQ, even when the images are displayed beside the G1 ones.

Never handled an EP-1, but it seems one would trade-off all of the G1´s viewfinder advantages (going right "down" to the DL4 level) just to get a little bit smaller camera body. While the Olympus does look sexy, and the G1 looks more or less like a Fisher-Price version of an SLR, I don´t even contemplate swapping the G1 for the EP-1...

All that said, if you already own, use, and like the LX3, you should sit down and think just what you would get from the G1 that the LX3 doesn´t already provide:

Wider range of focal lengths? Sure, but you´ll have to carry extra lenses and change them all the time.

Less noise in low light? Yes, but not quite as much as one might think, since the lenses are much slower (the Pana zooms; shooting with legacy lenses is something of a hassle unless one shoots portraits, still life & c).

Faster AF and card writing? Yes, a little, but not much.

Higher IQ? Not really. Colours and contrast in my DL4 images beat the G1 ones noticeably direct from the camera (I shoot raw; in jpg the difference is even bigger). PP does help the G1 shots, but there´s still a difference.

My own order of acquisition was the opposite from yours: I had the G1 first, and bought the DL4 later, "just for when I absolutely couldn´t carry a bag". I´m surprised at how much the DL4 has taken over, even when I do have a bag. But you have to think and decide for yourself.

kweide

Per: full support !
I can really follow your thoughts
DL4, no flash, direct jpg

No flash, direct jpg

In such situations the little DL4 is a perfect SLR companion. Fast and invisible

Last edited:
E

EWR72

Many thanks Per for your insight. The LX3 on its own is great and I have been very impressed with its output. I took it to Barcelona with my Canon Dslr and used the LX3 the majority of the time. I am thinking about the G1 as a lightweight companion to the LX3 especially on longer vacations/holidays where I might need extra reach whilst still having LX3 features such s 16:9, Dynamic B&W etc. I would probably get the G1 with Kit-lens or body only and use my Jupiter-3 50mm 1.5 for portraits (and a bit of extra reach). Also interested in the 20mm 1.7 when it surfaces. I do a lot of flower/nature shots so would get a M42 to micro 4/3 adaptor to use my M42 lenses with the G1. Having the swivel screen would be a very useful feature for fine-tuning manual focusing. Having looked at both the E-p1 and G1 I think that the G1 would suit my needs much better. Once again thanks for your input and the DL4 photos from Kweide:)

...Also interested in the 20mm 1.7 when it surfaces.
Yes, so am I. It might well tip the scales, making the G1 regain some of its lost territory with me...:thumbup:

I do a lot of flower/nature shots so would get a M42 to micro 4/3 adaptor to use my M42 lenses with the G1. Having the swivel screen would be a very useful feature for fine-tuning manual focusing. Having looked at both the E-p1 and G1 I think that the G1 would suit my needs much better....
Indeed, nature and closeups are exactly what I use the G1 for now, while it seldom goes with me in the city or to a party. And that´s exactly where the swivelling screen is at its best. But, if one is willing to crawl a bit on the ground, the DL4 is a formidable closeup camera as well....

E

EWR72

Do you use the EVF much or do you prefer to use the LCD screen? When I looked at the G1 I was indoors so the lighting was so-so but I guess outdoors it would be different. For example if you were taking a portrait would you use the EVF or prefer to look at the LCD? I would be inclined to use the EVF as I am use to that with a DSLR but am unsure of the clarity using the EVF.

Do you use the EVF much or do you prefer to use the LCD screen? When I looked at the G1 I was indoors so the lighting was so-so but I guess outdoors it would be different. For example if you were taking a portrait would you use the EVF or prefer to look at the LCD? I would be inclined to use the EVF as I am use to that with a DSLR but am unsure of the clarity using the EVF.
Well, I´d say that´s a very individual choice. For myself, I tend to use the LCD as much as possible (I used Hasselblads and Rolleiflexes with waist level finders for many years, and the LCD reminds me of the experience). But whenever the EVF wins (strong sun, fast action), I use it. It certainly isn´t the same as a really good dSLR, but quite workable, and much bigger than the finder images of most "consumer" dSLR´s.

A great advantage is the automatic change between LCD and EVF: just look at whichever you want, and the image is there; no need to push buttons or set switches. And the resolution on both the LCD and EVF is much higher than the LCD of the Olympus. It does make a difference when focussing manually!

nostatic

I have the DLux4 and find that it is my go-to camera. The only time I feel the need to pick up my Pentax dSLR is if I need/want a longer lens or just feel the need to have a better file. Frankly I shoot mostly jpg with the DLux4, mostly because Aperture *still* doesn't support the proprietary raw format, and while I think Raw Developer does a great job I prefer my Aperture workflow (ie, plug it in and I'm done). Thankfully the Leica jpgs look great right out of the camera, and take well to pp.

In fact I've been pondering getting out of my Pentax system on and off. While I love the ltd prime lenses, I find that I am much more comfortable shooting with an LCD. For street I prefer the LCD as, in the words of Mitch Alland, it is a "looser" style. And my 47 year old eyes can sometimes fail to see focus details on an OVF anyway.

All that being a long way around saying that I think that, depending on your desires, one needs to have a larger sensor camera. As good as the LX3/DLux4 is, it still is a small sensor. I bought a G1 for my g/f and while it is a nice camera I find it too small for my hands. I'm getting more interested in the EP1 as it is like a slightly larger version of the DLux4, but with a much bigger sensor. The lower resolution of the EP1 display is concerning though - at 460K pixels the DLux4 is gorgeous.

Or maybe I'll just bypass the smaller "big" sensor and get a Sony a900 :p

E

EWR72

Thanks for all the feedback/info. I think the G1 will be a worthy companion for my LX3 sometime in the future and a great comination for travelling without lugging too much gear around whilst still being able to get A3 images if needed. I will be taking my LX3 to Barcelona again at the end of the month as it was used 95% of the time last time I went but will take my Canon DSLR and OM Zuiko 50mm 1.8 for some shots of street performers etc.