The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 110 lens on G1

m3photo

Re: Pentax 110 <-> mFT Tinkering

Re: German Four-Thirds Forum - It seems "Ich bin nicht angemeldet" and therefore "habe keine Rechte diese Seite zu betreten", so as to not have to join just for this; any chance of posting the information here for us?
Thanks.

L

Lupo

Re: German Four-Thirds Forum - It seems "Ich bin nicht angemeldet" and therefore "habe keine Rechte diese Seite zu betreten", so as to not have to join just for this; any chance of posting the information here for us?
Thanks.
:eek:

I took the bayonet from 110 body
(sorry old lady)

test with c-m4/3 adapters, lens mount and tape
(from left: 18, 24, 50, 70 and 20-40)

ready (without finish, but it works)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Ach so, vielen Dank.

Excellent idea, now off to buy a Pentax 110!
Yes, Lupo - Thanks for showing us the way.

I had been thinking about doing this but got put off because the screws were very difficult to remove. Now I've taken more drastic measures and I'm half way through.

Keith

slosync

:eek:

I took the bayonet from 110 body
(sorry old lady)

test with c-m4/3 adapters, lens mount and tape
(from left: 18, 24, 50, 70 and 20-40)

ready (without finish, but it works)
Great illustration and information Lupo.

Have you determined how you will make the mount permanent?

I have the Pentax 110 Kit also, so I will be doing some surgery as you outlined above. :cry:

Cheers,
Don

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
What a cruel kill...
I will not show mine, because I was much crueler, and I still haven't finished. When I got tired of the jammed screws I used a chisel.

I have no love for this camera anymore, at the two-year point the advance lever broke, and the pictures were just plain awful. However I have hopes for the lenses after reading Vivek's post

Keith

L

Lupo

What a cruel kill...
It was not cruel. The old lady has mild smiled!

It was all very easy and without violence. The reincarnation was a success.

(Viele möchten lieber als eine G1-Linse denn eine heilige Kuh wiedergeboren werden :p)

S

simplebot

Cool, I just built one of those a couple of days ago. I didn't destroy my 110 though, I just removed the mounting flange from it and built up enough spacers into a jinfinance c mount adapter to hit close to infinity focus. I was trying to use parts I had lying around, so I used a couple of ring plates from an old hard drive and a circle I cut from some expanded PVC sheets that I had. I still need to adjust for infinity, but it's getting pretty close. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

m3photo

I was trying to use parts I had lying around, ...
Hmm, I've just bought a couple of dead 110's for spares that were available on EBay thinking of Lupo's idea and will try to mate the lens mount to a spare LTM/m43 adapter I have from Jinfinance that didn't quite make it to infinity focus and he kindly sent me a corrected one and let me keep this one.
I'm thinking maybe I won't need that many spacers in comparison to a C-Mount adapter. Once I get delivery of what I need together with a couple of Pentax 110 lenses I got from EBay I'll show you the results.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Cool, I just built one of those a couple of days ago. I didn't destroy my 110 though, I just removed the mounting flange from it and built up enough spacers into a jinfinance c mount adapter to hit close to infinity focus. I was trying to use parts I had lying around, so I used a couple of ring plates from an old hard drive and a circle I cut from some expanded PVC sheets that I had. I still need to adjust for infinity, but it's getting pretty close. I'll take some pics tomorrow.
I've removed the flange assembly - had to grind off the heads of the screws. I plan on putting onto a T to m4/3 mount. Any clues on the distances involved? What is the best way to get it set up for infinity focusing?

Keith

S

simplebot

Here is the adapter I built. I'll try and do some measurements on the thickness. I've gotten my infinity focus pretty close, but my adapter isn't very stiff, and there is a bit of "squish" to it. Once I get to tapping holes and assembling it with screws it'll be more solid.

Here are all the parts that make it up:

and on the camera:

I haven't really done any decent test shots with it yet. It's difficult to use it outdoors since it's fixed aperture and in the sun it wants to max out the shutter speed. The 25mm lens is also a bit too small to use well. Perhaps the other lenses would work a better.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Here is the adapter I built. I'll try and do some measurements on the thickness. I've gotten my infinity focus pretty close, but my adapter isn't very stiff, and there is a bit of "squish" to it. Once I get to tapping holes and assembling it with screws it'll be more solid.
. . . . . . .The 25mm lens is also a bit too small to use well. Perhaps the other lenses would work a better.
Thanks simplebot, this will save me a bit of time.

Keith

D

daggerlee

Anybody know what the flangeback distance for the 110 system is?

S

simplebot

Thanks simplebot, this will save me a bit of time.

Keith
Well, so far I'm measuring about 7.6mm from the front of the pentax flange to the back face of the c mount adapter that sits flush against the micro 4/3 flange. This gets pretty close to infinity.

I think the flange back distance for the 110 lenses is about 28mm. Not sure of the exact number though.

madmaxmedia

Hi Vivek,

Thanks for posting all those pics and explanation of how you adapted the lens. I think this looks like a real sleeper lens- I would love a cheap and small wide like this. Too bad about the fixed aperture, but I shoot wide open more often than not anyway. It would be nice to be able to dial it down a bit and shoot hyperfocal though.

In looking at your photos of the adapter, I think all you basically did was glue the Pentax lens to a 10mm C-mount extension tube? At that point, the Pentax is basically a C-mount lens right? (I only have 1 C-mount adapter, so didn't want to permanently attach that as well.)

Is the 10mm extension exactly right for the distance? Is infinity focus okay?

Thanks,
Steve

V

Vivek

Is the 10mm extension exactly right for the distance?
Steve, No. As the picture shows, the front end was ground down a bit (trial and error) which is easy to do with the aluminum tube.

While not exact, it was the closest match. After grinding (1mm or less), the infinity focus is achieved. The rear element of the 18/2.8 lens sits well inside 10mm extension tube.

My objective was to have the simplest possible solution for mounting the 18/2.8. After trying, I did not find the other lenses all that useful.

The 18/2.8 (with the help of a step ring) also can be used with a Ricoh GW-1 (0.75X converter) and that combination does a decent job.

madmaxmedia

Thanks guys, that sounds very promising. I didn't figure out that the grinding was to match distance- I thought it was for better epoxy bonding. I will begin looking for one!

Last edited: