The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 taken to Fort Bragg, CA

greypilgrim

Well,
After the Oly came out, and when I had a chance for a really good deal on the two lens G1 kit, I bought it. Like many others, I have been looking for a lightweight, better manual camera (my ideal would be an FM3D).

I bought the camera in time for a trip to Fort Bragg, CA, and below is a link to a site I set up (Go easy, it is my first time making anything for the web more than a photo gallery :-o ).

http://web.me.com/greypilgrim/Fort_Bragg_-_G1_Adventures/Welcome.html

My thoughts on my first experience (many not unique):

1) The lighter weight is wonderful (I've been shooting Nikon for years). I can't wait to try some of my MF Nikkors once I get my adapter.
2) The EVF is acceptable although it seems to wash out the colors quite a bit. It was quite hard to see the effects of a polarizer for instance. Judging colors on landscape shots was pretty much a swag for me.
3) The swivel LCD is very nice. I need to use it more, but I did find it hard to view in sunlight.
4) A Canon 500D paired with the 45-200 makes a very acceptable macro lens stand in.
5) Achieving focus even without focus assist is a breeze compared to my Nikons (no full frame, no Katzeye screens though).
6) For me, using the Custom menu to get back to my default settings was a big help. Something I never felt the need to do with my Nikons.
7) The front wheel works okay, although I constantly find myself having to click it, almost as if I am always in the opposite setting of the one I need.
8) Can't argue with the kit lens.
9) IR sensitivity is way low, but possible with the right conditions. Be interesting to use an IR converted G1 some day :).

This is the first time I have had to make a choice between which camera to take, and it will be interesting going forward to see where I go. A month ago, you couldn't have pried my D200 out of my hands....

I've really benefited from all the posts fro everyone the past few months, as they really helped me in my decision.

Doug

greypilgrim

We had fun. MacKerricher State Park and the Coast Botanical Gardens are a treat. They sure do roll up the streets at night, though :)...

Doug

Terry

Congratulations on your new camera. Love the shot with the ocean and then the small ripple in the still water.

greypilgrim

Congratulations on your new camera. Love the shot with the ocean and then the small ripple in the still water.
Thanks. Your posts have been very helpful leaning me towards the G1 :).

I shot that pool at some many different times and in different lighting, trying to get something. I think that shot did it.

Doug