The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lenses and adapters for E-P1?

tom in mpls

Please explain lenses and adapters for E-P1

I am soon to be an owner of the E-P1 and am very excited about it's potentials (and reports so far are encouraging!)

However, I am new to Oly and have no background or familiarity with it's lens systems and what other lenses can be adapted. The abbreviations and shorthand used to identify lenses in other posts have left me puzzled. I understand the 2 lenses that are being released with the camera, the 17mm and 14-42mm, but after that I'm mystified.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone would take the time to provide a brief summary. Which autofocus lenses can be used? And are there certain older Olympus lens systems, or other lens brands, that can be adapted with good results? Info on adapters also appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

peterm1

I with you Tom - I have never used Oly stuff before and I just got the E-P1. I also just ordered a Panasonic 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter from B&H ($139), and a Nikon F to 4/3 Fotodiox adapter from Amazon ($30). Using these two adapters stacked, I should be able to use my Nikon manual focus and Zeiss ZF Nikon-mount lenses on the E-P1.

Various companies are selling other adapters for other systems like Leica M-mount, etc. There is a chart in the first thread on this forum on these, and Cameraquest sells some, although their Nikon to 4/3 adapter is much more expensive than the Fotodiox one.

This site might also be of some help: http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lense.html.

Regards,

Peter

Terry

So, the lens range that can be adapted is huge. I will start with the bit that I know and let others fill in.

Micro 4/3 - Both Olympus lenses autofocus. There are 4 Panasonic lenses that also all autofocus and are much quieter if you are shooting video (7-14, 14-45, 45-200, 14-140)

4/3 - need a 4/3 to m4/3 adapter. Oly makes one Panny makes one. Not sure of others. All Oly lenses will AF some faster than others. I think all of the Panny lenses will as well. I am not sure about Sigma lenses

M lenses both M mount and screw mount - all work for manual focus. 28 mm and wider are not great performers with bad corners there are a few exceptions. I don't know the exceptions. There are several sources for adapters.

Leica R lenses - manual focus with an adapter. Don' know how the wides will do.

There are old Hexanon, Nikon, Canon (and the list goes on and on) lenses that can be mounted with an adapter.

Helps to figure out what focal lengths you are going to shoot and then ask forum members as people have experience with a huge number of lenses.

monza

http://doiop.com/g1adapters

This is a list I've been maintaining for the past few months after adapters started appearing for the Pana G1. It of course applies fully to the E-P1.

Since there are so many adapters available, I'm not updating all the various combinations, it just gets out of hand. :)

Diane B

I can say I tried the Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8 (converted to 4/3rds) with MA-1 adaptor--and an FD 24 f/2.8 with Cameraquest FD adaptor on the EP-1 today and they did just fine. I negelected to take my own SD card so don't have results, but they looked great zoomed in on the LCD.

Diane

Terry

I'm waiting for the Konica Hexanon lens. It should arrive tomorrow. Diane I bought an adapter for that lens to go straight to m4/3's. Hopefully it will work. The lens was a whopping $49 and the adapter was almost double!

Diane B

Yes, I read that there is a straight adaptor for it now. I think I paid $30 at FM and about the same to Jim Thompson for converting to 4/3rds. Now that there is an adaptor one could easily add others--and there seem to be several other good ones. I like mine quite a lot--seem to shoot with it a lot.

Diane

tom in mpls

Thanks! This is already making much more sense to me. It seems that the m4/3 format offers perhaps the largest range of lenses that could be mounted and used to good purpose.

I expect I will stay with autofocus, but of course I know the wonderful magic that Leica and others can produce.

J

JohnW

M lenses both M mount and screw mount - all work for manual focus. 28 mm and wider are not great performers with bad corners there are a few exceptions. I don't know the exceptions. There are several sources for adapters.
Can anyone elaborate on this statement about 28mm and wider being not so great? I'm considering a Voigtlander 25mm.

K

Kevin_b1

So, the lens range that can be adapted is huge. I will start with the bit that I know and let others fill in.

Micro 4/3 - Both Olympus lenses autofocus. There are 4 Panasonic lenses that also all autofocus and are much quieter if you are shooting video (7-14, 14-45, 45-200, 14-140)

4/3 - need a 4/3 to m4/3 adapter. Oly makes one Panny makes one. Not sure of others. All Oly lenses will AF some faster than others. I think all of the Panny lenses will as well. I am not sure about Sigma lenses

Leica R lenses - manual focus with an adapter. Don' know how the wides will do.

There are old Hexanon, Nikon, Canon (and the list goes on and on) lenses that can be mounted with an adapter.

Helps to figure out what focal lengths you are going to shoot and then ask forum members as people have experience with a huge number of lenses.
Hi can you please tell me what the quality of the 45-200 is like is it on a par with the 14-42 kit lens (E-P1) which I am pleased with. Also is the 14-45 better (Shaprer, quieter) then the 14-42 or very simular.

Regards

Kevin

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Can anyone elaborate on this statement about 28mm and wider being not so great? I'm considering a Voigtlander 25mm.
I ran into this issue. Neither my ZM 21 nor my 28 cron work well on my E-P1. Both produce soft corners. There is a technical explanation having to do with the angle of incidence produced by M lenses so close to the sensor.

There are certain exceptions, based on lens design. Monza recently posted a list of wide-angles that do OK. Search for posts by Monza over the past 2-3 days, and you'll find it (it's in the "having fun with the E-P1" thread on this forum).

Mike

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi can you please tell me what the quality of the 45-200 is like is it on a par with the 14-42 kit lens (E-P1) which I am pleased with. Also is the 14-45 better (Shaprer, quieter) then the 14-42 or very simular.

Regards

Kevin
Kevin,

The 45-200 is pretty good - on par with something like the Canon 100-400L IS. It's best at the long end, not quite as good at the wide end.

I tested the Oly 14-42 vs the Panny 14-45, and found the Panny to be slightly better, especially when wide open. Both are excellent by f5.6 (wide end) or f8 (long end). Probably too small of a sample set (just one copy of each lens) to draw any conclusions.

From the tests I've seen from Terry, the Panny 7-14 is the real gem within the autofocus mFT lenses. It's expensive, but a very impressive performer.

Mike

f6cvalkyrie

the Panny 7-14 is the real gem within the autofocus mFT lenses
Mike
I can only confirm that, the 7-14 is certainly the (relatively) best performing of the 3 Panasonic lenses, and maybe one of the best UWA (zooms) that have ever been produced !

Expensive, to a certain level, yes, but at that level of performance, it's money well spent !

C U
Rafael

K

Kevin_b1

Thanks Mike

If the 45-200 is on a par with canon 100-400 IS it is a bargain at £280 so that may well appear in my bag shortly.

The 7-14 looks the best by far but will have to save up for that one.

regards

Kevin

andrewteee

Last night I briefly tried my Zeiss ZM C Sonnar 50/1.5 and I was pleased that it seems to be doing its thing well on the E-P1. The lens has a certain look to it, or way of drawing the image, and it comes through on the Olympus. The shallow depth of field at 1.5 is also still there. I plan to do more tests this weekend. To me this lens works best in B&W and I need to work through the B&W workflow to see if I can get close to what I was getting with the Zeiss Ikon and Tri X. If I can I'll be very happy.

The Panasonic 7-14mm is apparently available, but I wonder why its distribution is so limited. The m4/3 lens roadmap is still tiny, but I hope the apparent success of the E-P1 kicks it into higher gear.

Robert Campbell

I can say I tried the Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8 (converted to 4/3rds) with MA-1 adaptor--
Diane
Diane,

I don't know this lens, but a local shop here in Switzerland has one -- I think it's this one -- for Fr 5.- = a cup of coffee. Is it worth getting?

Diane B

Diane,

I don't know this lens, but a local shop here in Switzerland has one -- I think it's this one -- for Fr 5.- = a cup of coffee. Is it worth getting?
Robert, I use mine quite a lot. I believe Godfrey, Kernow (Jim Thompson who converted mine to 4/3rds) have it also--and Terry has one on the way. Oh, Carl Schofield, Mingjai also have it--its quite popular. I shoot quite a lot with it--very nice focal range, light and small. I have to use it with the MA-1 because mine is converted to 4/3rds but there is now a direct Hexanon to m4/3rds adaptor I believe. Look at Terry's post--ah, yes, its been added to our adaptor list--Konica AR.

I'd say yes--be sure its AR--for some reason something sticks in my mind about a different version also, but could be just some misinformation creeping in LOL.

Diane

mod2001

http://doiop.com/g1adapters

This is a list I've been maintaining for the past few months after adapters started appearing for the Pana G1. It of course applies fully to the E-P1.

Since there are so many adapters available, I'm not updating all the various combinations, it just gets out of hand. :)
Hi Monza,

i'm not sure about this, i tried the RJ Camera Pen F to m43 adapter for the Pany G1 on my E-P1 today, if i mount the adapter, i only can turn the adapter 2mm to the right (the Oly Lens goes about 20mm vom the red point into the middle). So, i'm a little bitte afraid of loosing the lens.

Yogi

Robert Campbell

Robert, I use mine quite a lot. I believe Godfrey, Kernow (Jim Thompson who converted mine to 4/3rds) have it also--and Terry has one on the way. Oh, Carl Schofield, Mingjai also have it--its quite popular. I shoot quite a lot with it--very nice focal range, light and small. I have to use it with the MA-1 because mine is converted to 4/3rds but there is now a direct Hexanon to m4/3rds adaptor I believe. Look at Terry's post--ah, yes, its been added to our adaptor list--Konica AR.

I'd say yes--be sure its AR--for some reason something sticks in my mind about a different version also, but could be just some misinformation creeping in LOL.

Diane
Thanks, Diane.
I've also found that my late father-in-law had a Konica Autoreflex T3 which has a Konica Hexagon AR 50 mm f/1.4 and an AR 28mm f/3.5 -- so the direct to m4/3rds would be an idea for them.
I'll check out this 40mm f/1.8 tomorrow -- Fr 5.0 can't be bad!