The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 75mm lens compared

Terry

OK next boring but revealing lens test. Today we have the Voigtlander f2.5, Leica Summicron f2.0 and the Panasonic 45-200.

All on tripod. Image Stabilization - off. ISO 100 (didn't have fast enough for shutter speed at ISO 200 wide open). Aperture priority.

All shot as superfine jpeg with standard settings. All imported to Lightroom. NO adjustments. Export - sharpening for screen at standard. Kit lens at 75mm I slightly missed the 75mm mark on the lens (oops).

There are 31 shots to post. Please don't respond until I put up a post saying I'm done.

Full Scene - you will see the focus point on the first set of crops (bridge vertical) Leica f2.0 Summicron @ 2.0

F2.0
Leica

F2.5/F2.8
CV

Leica

F4.0 Panny @ F4.4
CV

Leica

Panasonic

Last edited:

Terry

F5.6

CV

Leica

Panny

Nothing too much changes at F8 and F11 but can post if people want.

Next up the problem area CA.....

Last edited:

Terry

So, we know that Panasonic lens are corrected for CA in the opcodes embedded into the RAW files. Lightroom can read the opcodes. It looks like the E-P1 is taking that information from the Panasonic lenses.

F2.0
Leica

F2.5/F2.8
CV

Leica

F4.0/F4.4 (panny)

CV

Leica

Panasonic

Terry

Here are the full shots reduced to 1200 pixels all at f5.6

CV

Leica

Panasonic

All done!

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Terry - thank you!

I shot my 75 Summarit vs the Panny 45-200, and saw similar results to what you show here. The Leica lens is visibly better (in my opinion). The CV 75 is a bit of a disappointment here - not even as good as the Panny zoom.

Mike

Terry

Hi Mike the CV surprises me and yes I agree that the Leica is visibly better. If there was no visible difference at 10x the price I would be a bit upset. The CV lens on my M8 was a joy (however many of the joyful shots wouldn't show some of the faults that are coming out here). Did you have CA on the Summarit at f2.5??? Gone at f4 or f5.6?

Last edited:

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Yes, a touch of CA (near the edges) at f2.5, less at f2.8, and pretty much completely gone by f4.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not much is going to beat a 75 cron. I did extensive tests on it the 75 lux and the 75 summarit. End of day the cron will win the resolution part. The Lux will win the look test and the Summarit is just a very nice balance between them. Plus the money is right on it and I like the focusing as well.

jonoslack

Excellent Terry - not boring at all.

Some would say that the 75 'cron is simply the sharpest lens you can get . . .

What really surprises me here is how excellently the panny is doing at 75 - especially at the edges - a cheap zoom really doesn't deserve to be that good.

It reinforces what I've always felt about 4/3 in general, which is that it's the quality of lenses which keeps me coming back - even the humble lenses which you would expect to be mediocre.

The fact of the new lighter AA filter makes the EP-1 into a real contender.

f6cvalkyrie

Thanks for this very interesting shoot-out, Terry.

The performance of the kit-zoom is indeed surprising.
I would be very interested in seeing a similar shoot-out at longer FL, eg at 150 or 200mm, because I seem to always come home with unsharp pics when shooting at such FL, but, from what I see here, that may well be me to blame, and specially my old shaky hands :D:mad::D

C U
Rafael

kweide

I would be very interested in seeing a similar shoot-out at longer FL, eg at 150 or 200mm, because I seem to always come home with unsharp pics when shooting at such FL, but, from what I see here, that may well be me to blame, and specially my old shaky hands :D:mad::D

C U
Rafael
Did you implement the new Update???
It includes the Double IS feature against shaky hands :)))

f6cvalkyrie

I searched the internet to no avail, Klaus, I could simply not find any firmware upgrade for my old shaky hands :cry::cry::D:D:D

Would you have a link to share ???

C U
Rafael

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

C U
Rafael
Seriously you may want to think about a monopod. You can gain about 3 stops in shutter speed.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

C U
Rafael
At 200mm (400mm equiv), I can't get a sharp image without either a ton of light (shutter speed of 1/500 or better), or bracing the camera on something. In a free standing position, my images always have a touch of motion blur.

If I lean against a pole, or sit down and rest the camera on my knees, then I am getting quite sharp images from the 45-200 lens on the E-P1. The in-body IS can handle those small tremors, but not my full-body sway when I'm free standing and zoomed all the way in.

Mike

Terry

C U
Rafael
Rafael,
I don't have anything longer than a 75 in leica, voigtlander or any other lens that fits on m4/3 to compare the 45-200 lens to.

Greg Seitz

Terry,

Great info. Thanks for comparing these. Do you happen to have the raw files for these shots? I'd love to let Raw Developer take a crack at them and see how they look. www.mediafire.com is a great way to post them if you don't already have a way to do so...

Thanks,

Greg

Terry

Greg - I will get you the files tonight. I can put them on my "iDisk" and send you the link tonight. I also have files from the other lenses (12mm and 7-14 zoom)