The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 with Zuiko 17 f/2.8 lens

Godfrey

Hi Diane do you know how well it would do for indoor shots for kids? Do you think the flash would still be required. Is it too slow for such things? Thanks
A wide to normal f/2.8 lens is fine for a lot of indoor, available light work (I work with the ZD 25/2.8 quite a lot of the time). You simply have to learn how to use ISO 400-800-1600 and make good exposures so as to get the quality you want.

Of course, moving subjects are always a challenge in dim lighting. Both on focusing and on subject movement. That takes practice and study to do well.

Diane B

A few more with the G1 and 17 f/2.8

One of the few times I've used the overhead/tiltable LCD, but the AF on the 17 f/2.8 is quite good and put it where I wanted it.

Diane

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

Wonderfull pics, Diane.
Excellent b&w conversions and the sepia toning adds to the overall effect !

C U
Rafael

Diane B

Thanks all. Rafael, I tend to like my b & w toned a bit--whether just slightly warmed or a bit more at times. May go back to when it was so difficult to print a neutral mono before the 3800. Now--its just what I have found I like.

I've tried a number of things over the years for B & W--now do almost all in Lightroom, but have found that I can be more consistent with toning for a project by using a fill layer in PS. Other times, I have a number of presets I've created in LR.

That day (last Friday) was a really productive one. I started out yesterday morning, had light rain to start LOL--then just malaise set in --and I couldn't 'see' anything--so used the morning to scout for my Highway 70 project. Now--i need a morning without showers to get out and shoot those targeted subjects and spend some time deciding how to shoot them. Some days it just doesn't come together.

Diane

Joan

:clap: Wonderful work, Diane! Love the nostalgic feeling of these shots and your processing is perfect for them. I am so inspired to learn when I see the great stuff posted here, thank you!

Diane B

Thanks Joan. Since I don't live in an urban area, my subjects tend to be rural or just what I find along the way thats interesting (unless I spend some time in Charlotte, my closest larger city or travel--I love the nitty gritty urban shooting but there's not much in my part of the world LOL).

For my Highway 70 project I'm just looking for interesting things as I wander along--it goes from the coast to the TN mts. and our state is very long (wide) so its going to take me some time, but the fun is in the looking LOL. Sometimes I loop off of it for other shooting and just make turns with no place in mind--and luckily have my GPS with me LOL.

Diane

Joan

It's good that you have a project to motivate you, Diane. I am SO bored with Tallahassee that I'm sure I do miss possible opportunities because I've STOPPED looking. I love to get out of town as it makes me open my eyes again.

I need to take a class, that always does it for me when my painting hits a standstill, and should help with learning photography, too. Hard to find anything here beyond a basic digital photo class though, I'm past that point by a bit, but need help to move upward.

Diane B

Joan, I had to do the same and 'create' a project LOL. I've shot so much around here that it doesn't even work to try and look at the same subject in a different way--I've done that--and done that LOL.

Maybe a workshop would do it for you. Right now, due to the economy, the ones I'd enjoy are out of my price range, but in FL, likely there are some being given locally (meaning maybe within 1/2 days drive) and maybe above beginners but not so advanced you'd feel overwhelmed. I know there are always lots of nature/bird workshops down there. But--possibly worth looking for something different.

Good luck.

Diane

Joan

Yes, I should look for workshops here in Florida. (In the fall when the weather cools down! :) ) Thanks for the suggestion, Diane.

helenhill

TRES,TRES, COOOL & Artsy
I LOVE your EYE & STYLE Diane

Beautiful Project & Great Sense of Processing
Best-H

Diane B

Thanks--I should add I'm not just using the 17 f/2.8 exclusively for the project. I shot quite a bit with the Hexanon 40 f/1.8, a bit with the Zuiko 9-18--and I'll use whatever lens gives me the subject as I 'see' it, but the 17 works quite well with the 40 for a nice workable pair.

Diane

Rawfa

Diane, your photos a truly a pleasure to the eye. I specially liked the B&W ones.
On a different matter, could you tell me what is the minimum focus distance? You have some shots there that look almost like macro.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Diane, those are very lovely. They pull of the astonishing trick of making a shot on screen evoke the feeling of a silver print made from B&W negative film and then toned.

I am generally greatly turned off by 'frame-like' effects and have never used them myself but for these shots it works really well. What's your technique?

You know what, your shots actually make me feel like taking photos! I going to grab my Pen and go for a walk (hobble actually, I've twisted my knee). Thank you.

Tim

Diane B

Diane, your photos a truly a pleasure to the eye. I specially liked the B&W ones.
On a different matter, could you tell me what is the minimum focus distance? You have some shots there that look almost like macro.
Sorry, I missed this--for a good while. I just measured (roughly) and it appears to be about 4-5 inches on the G1. Easy/quick AF even in quite low light. I find it quite good enough for the money--and a lot of fun to use--plus the fact it makes the G1 a quite small package--and pretty versatile. I usually add at least one other lens--maybe a 40--when I want to go very light/small.

Diane

Diane B

Thanks so much Tim.

I love b & w (do tend to tone mine just a bit at least). Since I got my 3800 several years ago I'm pretty happy with the prints also (tried a variety of things with 1280 and 2200 over the years but never really quite there).

I started framing years ago in my online gallery so have kept doing it for consistency. I made a little action--actually several--in PS--and for odd sizes, I've done it so long I can do it really quickly when needed besides the action.

Glad I pushed you out the door. I do find I'm shooting even more with an m4/3rds.

Diane

Diane, those are very lovely. They pull of the astonishing trick of making a shot on screen evoke the feeling of a silver print made from B&W negative film and then toned.

I am generally greatly turned off by 'frame-like' effects and have never used them myself but for these shots it works really well. What's your technique?

You know what, your shots actually make me feel like taking photos! I going to grab my Pen and go for a walk (hobble actually, I've twisted my knee). Thank you.

Tim