The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

40mm Voigtlander pancake on E-P1?

peterm1

Anyone try this lens on the E-P1? It might make a great combo, although of course the needed adapters will add more bulk.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I have the CV 40/1.4 Nokton, which just arrived today. Is that the one you're talking about?

I plan to compare it to the M 50 lux, to see if the CV is close enough to keep.

Mike

M

mtwo

I have this lens and have had it for some time. It is indeed small and fast. I have used it with film and with an M8. I did not much care for its rendition on the M8 but I never really liked that camera. On film it tends to have low contrast wide open which improves a couple stops down. It is a fun little lens and I also am anxious to try in on my G1 when the adapter shows up.

I also have the 40mm f2 Ultron in F mount which I think is a somewhat better lens. Now I am wondering if it is worth buying an F to micro 4/3 adapter. I have a bunch of Nikon glass so I suppose it is inevitable. JOhn

A

azul123

but mentioned lens is pancake... CV 40mm F1.4 is no pancake.

M

mtwo

I do not consider either lens a pancake. Both protrude from the body by about the same amount. I have not measured it but have looked at them with a calibrated eye. The 40mm f2 is a nice lens. It is sharp, renders colors well, and has about the right amount of contrast. It turns a D700 into an almost easy to carry walk around camera, well, almost. John

peterm1

Just to be clear I was referring to the Ultron f/2 in F mount sold by Cameraquest. It may not be a "pancake" but it is pretty darn small. I just ordered one for my E-P1 and D700. It should make a nice compact kit with the E-P1 for portrait length shots, and a nice street shooting kit with the D700. I was shooting yesterday with my 50mm ZF makro on the E-P1 and it is very front-heavy, but I was getting great results.

When the Oly 17mm is more widely available I plan to get one as well. The E-P1/17mm/40mm would make a great compact kit.

Peter