The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Multi exposure

hot

petersr asks - I also :p

The new GH1 review shows a “Multi-expo” record mode, p.10, Record Menu (which some Panny P&Ss do have), but neither the GH1 user’s manual nor the record menu image shown on the same review page shows this feature. Must be either an error or part of the 1.1 firmware update. Anyone know which?

V

Vivek

No idea (cool feature to have).

But it looks like Panasonic finally caught you using 3rd party batteries with the firmware.:(

BTW, a G1 review also shows this multiple exposure feature. So, I strongly suspect that it is in the latest firmware. Damn.:cussing:

Last edited:

Diane B

I just saw an example of a multi-expo with the EP-1
http://www.lens-scape.com/pen/pen.htm and the 20th shot down in the gallery. Would one assume that it would be similar?? I don't have any issues with downloading the newest firmware since I have 2 Panny batteries and doubtfully would ever add any 3rd party batteries. Perhaps I'll try the latest firmware and report back LOL. We'll see--trusting you, Vivek, that its in the G1 firmware also.

Diane

slosync

No idea (cool feature to have).

BTW, a G1 review also shows this multiple exposure feature. So, I strongly suspect that it is in the latest firmware. Damn.:cussing:
I have the latest G1 firmware installed and the menu still does not include "Multi-Exposure".:mad:

Cheers,
Don

hot

Ouuuuhhh, that's "Pana-s.h.i.t"

In description (by Panasonic) of firmware updates (G1/GH1) there is no "official multi exposure feature" to find. Also looking manual for this feature - 0 hits.

scho

I just saw an example of a multi-expo with the EP-1
http://www.lens-scape.com/pen/pen.htm and the 20th shot down in the gallery. Would one assume that it would be similar?? I don't have any issues with downloading the newest firmware since I have 2 Panny batteries and doubtfully would ever add any 3rd party batteries. Perhaps I'll try the latest firmware and report back LOL. We'll see--trusting you, Vivek, that its in the G1 firmware also.

Diane
I didn't see it in either v1.2 or 1.3 for the G1.

Diane B

The EXIFs in this pictures are UNUSABLE - saying NOTHING.
It was an assumption that it was multi-expo since it is obviously 2 images and he said (on FM) that this was a demo gallery for the EP-1. Beyond that--one could ask him on FM which I've just done.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/792313/0#lastmessage

BUT--in thinking back, he mentioned that he used the art filters which he hadn't thought would be of any interest to him at all--but he liked. I suspect this is an art filter--and that would seem to be the easiest/best way to do a multi-expose I can imagine--choose an image--then shoot over/into it. How else would one think it would be done with the G1?? (It says start, next, retake, exit--that would open a lot of doors on the 'start--what more would one find in the submenus--and 'next'--the same thing) The only other way I see is to allow the camera to choose the last file (or another file) and shoot your next shot over it--which is the same thing as I mentioned in the 'art filter' thing. I need to check out exactly what they are capable of--or we can ask Brian Mosely who has tried them I believe.

Diane

Terry

The E-P1 definitely has multiple exposures. While it sounds cool I'm not quite sure why you would want to do this in camera instead of with layers/composites in Photoshop. I guess you could say it wasn't a "photoshopped" shot but....????

Diane B

The E-P1 definitely has multiple exposures. While it sounds cool I'm not quite sure why you would want to do this in camera instead of with layers/composites in Photoshop. I guess you could say it wasn't a "photoshopped" shot but....????
Rather my thoughts--esp. if you are really conversant with PS (which I am). Nonetheless (and these will be jpegs), there are lots of folks that will never go RAW--never use PS, so they might be fine with these. Have you tried art filters?

I'm a straight RAW person:D--have been since 2000, so they don't appeal to me--but I was more intrigued by the listing in the firmware than the actual usage I think:eek::eek::eek:.

Diane

Terry

When I want to do something like art filters, I will shoot RAW plus jpeg and get the art filter in the jpeg and then have the original RAW to work with. When I know I want to be shooting B&W that is exactly what I do. Then you have the LCD showing the monochrome image. Switching the E-P1 to the red filter was nice in B&W to see what you are going to get. I think to be "really good" (read: knowing the controls blindly) at all of the settings Oly has you really need to be a dedicated Oly shooter. There is just so much available in the interface that switching cameras from different companies you can never remember all of the combinations of settings available.