The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 approx 150mm lens comparaison

f6cvalkyrie

Hi !

I've been searching the web on this focusing problem when changing FL.
It seems that manufacturers and photographers are using the word "zoom" in a wrong context :wtf:

Real "zoomlenses" are common in TV and cinema, where one zooms in to max FL in order to have the easiest and most precise focusing on the right position. And then, they zoom out to the wanted composition.
TV and cinema operators do also need sharp images throughout while recording and zooming.

So, real zoomlenses should remain in focus while changing FL !

Other users, like us photographers, do not necessarily need an image that remains in focus while changing focal length. We can first determine the composition and then focus. Lenses that do change focus while changing FL should ideally be called "variable focal length lenses" to differentiate them from the real "zooms"

Peter, I suppose your zoom from Angenieux comes from a movie camera ?

C U
Rafael

henningw

Many zoomlenses are true parfocal lenses. The Pany 45-200 definitely is not, but that should not matter much unless used on the GH1 for movies and zoomed on manual focus.

Check the near focus on this lens in manual focus. It is much closer at 45mm than at 200mm while not touching the focus ring.

Henning

henningw

With respect to the lens test; the Konica f/3.5 135mm Hexanons are not their best; the earlier ones are a bit better but the later ones were definitely built to a price and are the same formula as the previously marketed Hexars. The best is the 135/3.2.

I don't have all the adapters I want yet; the Konica will come.

Henning

pellicle

Tripper

I only have the Panny 45-200mm
Here is a shot I took recently with this lens.

Acrocephalus schoenobaenus 'Sedge Warbler'

Panasonic 45-200mm @ 200mm f/6.3 1/400s iso200
and gosh isn't that a nice shot!

I would like to ask you about the AF of this lens. I've previously used USM Canon lenses and as the technology in the G1 is the same I wonder if the AF is the same?

Do you find the AF to be fast on it?

Have you tried AF-C as well?

while I presently lack an AF telephoto I am wondering if this one is fast, you've certainly shown its sharp enough :)

Thanks for your time

T

tripper

Tripper

and gosh isn't that a nice shot!

I would like to ask you about the AF of this lens. I've previously used USM Canon lenses and as the technology in the G1 is the same I wonder if the AF is the same?

Do you find the AF to be fast on it?

Have you tried AF-C as well?

while I presently lack an AF telephoto I am wondering if this one is fast, you've certainly shown its sharp enough :)

Thanks for your time
First let me say thank you' pellicle for your kind words

I am not sure I can really offer you any reassurance on the AF-C speed of the 45-200mm, I have not owned the lens long and have not shot anything where AF-C is needed. I am not normally a 'birder' I just got lucky when out walking with this bird shot. I certainly have no complaints as regards the AF-S with the lens or the G1 with any Panasonic lens. I have no experience with the Canon USM as I use Minolta/Sony dSLr equipment but question your statement

"I've previously used USM Canon lenses and as the technology in the G1 is the same"

I understood dSLR's use Phase detect AF where the G1 uses Contrast detect ? one of the more knowledgable members will correct me if I am wrong.

tripper

pellicle

"I've previously used USM Canon lenses and as the technology in the G1 is the same"

I understood dSLR's use Phase detect AF where the G1 uses Contrast detect ? one of the more knowledgable members will correct me if I am wrong.
the technology doing the mechanical driving the lens elements (something moves in there right ...) is the same as USM (as Nikon also now have something similar too) however the input to the CPU (which controls the lens) is of course different in nature (phase detect vs contrast detect). There is much more to determining AF speed than simply the detection system, the lens's ability to stop when told and how quickly it accelerates to begin moving has a large bearing on the speed and accuracy.

So an EOS 1D III will not AF any faster with a EF50 f1.8 mounted on it than my 10D does ... or my EOS 630 for that matter ;-)

From what I've seen with my G1 and my kit lens the AF speed is as good as any USM motors on lenses such as the 28-105 USM ... what I don't know is how well the G1 copes with telephoto (always more of a test)

so ... is it

zeeeeeeeeeeeep and insert optional hunting or missed focus​
or

zip​

More comparison shoots, 4 different lenses on the G1 and the same shot with the Nikon D700. The various lenses, all top lenses in their category, give very similar results on the G1. The big difference in color rendition comes from the Nikon. I personally prefer the rendition of the G1, it approaches the character of the Leica M8 and R9+DMR, but this is a very personal choice.

First, what the lenses look like:

Angenieux 3x70, 70-210mm/3.5

The same Angenieux 70-210 from a different angle

Kern Macro Switar 50mm/1.9

Leitz Macro-Elmarit R 60mm/2.8

Nikon D700 with 90mm/2.8 Sigma Macro

Here the results of the shootout:

Angenieux 70-210mm/3.5 on the G1

Kern Macro Switar 50mm/1.9 on the G1

Leica Macro Elmarit 60mm/2.8 on G1

Nikon D700 with 90mm/2.8 Sigma Macro

The Angenieux, while giving excellent IQ, as do the other lenses on the G1, is really too big to be agreeable to use on the G1. The color rendition of the Switar is slightly cooler and with less contrast, but that can easily be fixed during postprocessing.