The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

small lens cases/protection?

apicius9

Hi,

I just got a Domke F-2 camera bag and really like it, it should fit the G1 with quite a few of my lenses because many of them are small c-mounts. Now, with the tiny c-mount lenses I could easily get 2 lenses in one of these lens compartments, but I would want to somehow protect them since most don't have cases. I was thinking about 'micro' lens cases but didn't find anything online, thought about cutting some padded nylon (maybe one of the Domke wraps) into smaller wraps. I even thought about - don't laugh ;) - warmers for boiled eggs... Just wanted to check if anybody here has a good solution for that?

Thanks,

Stefan

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
The Domke F2 is still my all-time favorite bag (and I have a whole closet full.) Mine is Khaki color and I ran it through the washing machine to make it look a little more distressed. I have some small padded squares from a backpack that I place between two lenses in a compartment. I also put all of my lenses in little bags or pouches that I have gathered over the years (neoprene pouches are my favorite). Another good idea is to buy some extra lens caps. Sand the top of two until they make a nice fit. Glue them top to top. Then you can safely carry two lenses in a compartment without worry.

Terry

Ditto on Cindy's advice. I did back to back lenses with my Leica lenses. This method also makes it easier to change lenses in the field and you
don't feel like you need a third hand.

apicius9

Great idea, thanks, I will do the back-to-back thing with a few of the larger ones like the Canon FDs. What puzzled me were the tiny ones, I could probably fit 2-3 small c-mount lenses in one compartment on top of each other if I wanted to make the best use of the space. I'll see what I find in neoprene for them, maybe there are small cell-phone pouches that will work or I just glue & velcro a few custom ones together myself. For some of the old ones it is difficult to find matching lens caps, so I would want some extra protection for those.

Stefan