The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 Portraits.

E

EWR72

Have been looking at many threads here and I am really enjoying the images produced. Looking at a G1 in the future and would like to see some portraits of current owners. Any lens of course but especially Manual focus lenses as I own a few Zeiss M42 lenses and OM zuiko lenses that I would like to use on the G1. On my Canon DSLR I can manually focus well with the viewfinder (as long as the lenses are wide-open) but would also like to know if you are taking portraits with a manual focus lens do you feel the EVF is more than ok or do you prefer using the LCD? I only got to handle a G1 (and E-P1) indoors so could not get a good feel for shooting outdoors obviously. Any portrait photos and comments most welcome.:)

Brian Mosley

The EVF is a better quality display for manual focusing, but the LCD being articulating makes for easy waist level shooting.

Here are a couple of favourites with the G1 + Hexanon 57mm f1.2

Kind Regards

Brian

E

EWR72

Thanks Ron and Brian for your input. Great examples. It may be awhile but I am sure I will get a G1 sometime this year. I love using the LX3 (been using it a lot more recently than my DSLR) but the possibility of using my manual lenses on the lightweight G1 with its big 3" swivel screen is very tempting.

Michiel Schierbeek

Here are some of mine with the G1.

Michiel

Nikon 105/2.5 ( My daughter )

Leica Elmarit 90/2.8 ( Very classical! )

Industar-61 50/2.8 ( Stone portraits :) )

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Some candids...

First two are 50 lux. Last photo is Panny 7-14. All taken by manual focusing the lens using the rear LCD.

EDIT: Sorry - these were with the E-P1, not the G1.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

All using a G1 and manually focused using the swivel TFT.

Canon 50/0.95.

Olympus Pen F 42/1.2

Angenieux 25/0.95.

Senko 25/0.95.

Computar-TV 25/1.3.

A custom made 12.5/1.4.

A 50/2 Schneider Xenon:

E

EWR72

Some more great examples, just what I was looking for. Thanks for the contributions. It´s also good to see some E-P1 portraits too. Does the inbody IS work with all lenses (eg-manual focus)? I really liked the fact that the G1 had the swivel screen as well as the EVF which I am used to shooting in this way (optical view finder on DSLR). The E-P1 looked very nice but I hope to use a G1 and LX3 combination as I shoot a lot of flowers/Cactus as well so the G1 swivel screen would be a great bonus.

C

cwilt

My wife yesterday. Not the best, but I liked the light.
G1 and OM 50/1.4
focus and compose via LCD

E

EWR72

The light is very good. What adapter did you get to use with your OM lenses?

E

EWR72

Nice to see a range of portraits using different lenses on the G1.
I saw the adapters from Jinfinance and noticed that if I bought an EOS to Micro 4/3 adapter I could use that with my EF lenses (although wide open which is not a problem) and also connect my M42 and OM lenses to the EOS-Micro 4/3 with the corresponding adapters that I already have. Anyone had any experiences with this?

Diane B

Yes, I have the adaptor--bought it primarily to use with my 45 f/2.8 TS lens and an old Lensbaby--but mostly with the TS. I've also shot the 50 f/1.8 and 28 f/1.8 with it. Here are some links to first photos after I got the adaptor--9 shots starting here http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/113978605
and 3 with the 50 f/1.45 starting here http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/114761394

Someone on the FM forum requested photos of the G1 with the adaptor and with EF lenses on the G1 so I have shot the G1 with the adaptor

and 9 more with side, top and 3/4 shots of the G1 with 50 f/1.4 and 45 f/2.8 TS starting here http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/114965879

Its doubtful I will use any of the EFs except the TS and LB because I also have some nice smaller FDs in same FL range--and they are much smaller/lighter.

Diane

E

EWR72

Thanks Diane for the photos of the EOS adapter on the G1. I would get the G1 to use my smaller 50mm and 24mm OM zuiko lenses on primarily as well as some M42 lenses but having the option to use my EOS lenses as well would be a bonus from time to time. Do you use another FD to G1 adapter or do you have a FD-EOS then EOS-Micro 4/3 set-up? I just thought that if I went with the Jinfinance EOS-micro 4/3 adapter I could then use the OM-EOS and M42-EOS adapters I currently own with it to have 3 possible combinations.

leuallen

I think the Gi is great for portaits. Use the EVF. Lens, since no EXIF data for adapted lenses is available and I have a poor memory, these could have been shot with:

OM 50 1.8
OM 80 2.0
Tamron 90 2.5 macro

Usually shoot 400-800, wide open to 2.8. Natural light.

My 90 year old mom. Failing health and memory. She is pretty static hence no problems focusing. A younger, more mobile victim, might be more of a challenge.

Larry

P

patbon23

G1 + Canon RF 50mm F1.4, made 1950

No Flash, Focus on right eye, Converted with Silky