The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EP-1 an ideal "middle" cam?

nostatic

It seems that the EP-1 is a bit of a "holy grail" cam for a number of reasons. While I don't have legacy glass (other than some very nice Pentax ltd primes), I do like shooting "street" or at least walkabout. The DLux4 is ideal except that sometimes I'd like a higher rez file. My K20d gives a very nice file but...well, it's a dSLR. And that form factor immediately gives a different vibe both as a user and for subjects. I picked up a new K7 but am finding that it is too small (as is the G1). Carrying it around one-handed is tiring not due to large size or weight but lack of mass to fit in my hand.

I end up carrying the DLux4 differently, and seems the EP-1 might be in the same camp. A dSLR pretty much forces you into one way of holding it, whereas the "compact" gives a couple of options (I run my thumb along the bottom of the camera, middle finger curled in the front, index on top).

I know there are a lot of multiple system users here. Are you finding that the EP-1 is "replacing" a dSLR and providing you with the "I'm not a pro photographer, just out snapping pics" vibe? At this point I'm actually thinking DLux4/EP-1/a900 (or something FF). If I'm going to carry a "dSLR" form factor then I should get a big bang for the buck...

durrIII

I was thinking the same thing. I wish we would hear more about the "new" A800 or whatever it is going to be. The E-P1 has a nice feel to it. I just hope I can get into the VF vs LCD thing. I came from a Contax background and Zeiss glass has it's own look as does Leica glass. I love both. Only the Shadow knows for sure.

jonoslack

Hmmm - yes - it's a different thing.
I want RAW support in Aperture or C1, but given that I think it's going to be a real winner for me. . . three systems I think:

EP-1, M8, A900

nostatic

I went and handled the EP-1 and my reaction was mixed. I can't really shoot it "one-handed" holding it like I do the DLux-4 - just too much weight out at the lens. It shook a lot (though SR took care of that for the photo). Part of it is just getting used to the different shape. Seems like more of a 2-handed camera.

Held the a900, 5D and D700. None of them really "fit" my hand, though the 5d was closest. I have to admit that picking the Pentax back up made me appreciate it. I do love the ltd prime lenses. Maybe time to take some rubber foam tape and build out the grip on that...

This damn pursuit of "perfect" is going to kill me. I blame my mom.

jonoslack

I went and handled the EP-1 and my reaction was mixed. I can't really shoot it "one-handed" holding it like I do the DLux-4 - just too much weight out at the lens. It shook a lot (though SR took care of that for the photo). Part of it is just getting used to the different shape. Seems like more of a 2-handed camera.

Held the a900, 5D and D700. None of them really "fit" my hand, though the 5d was closest. I have to admit that picking the Pentax back up made me appreciate it. I do love the ltd prime lenses. Maybe time to take some rubber foam tape and build out the grip on that...

This damn pursuit of "perfect" is going to kill me. I blame my mom.
Give it up immediately - it'll all end in tears!:ROTFL:
As for the EP-1 - well, it IS different, but I nearly always shoot one handed, I think it's different enough not to be able to expect to get the feel of it in half an hour.

nostatic

Give it up immediately - it'll all end in tears!:ROTFL:
As for the EP-1 - well, it IS different, but I nearly always shoot one handed, I think it's different enough not to be able to expect to get the feel of it in half an hour.
Half an hour? I spent 3 minutes. I do everything in 3 minutes.

Well, perhaps not everything.

No...everything. If I can't figure it out in 3 minutes it isn't worth...oh...look...a shiny object!!!