The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m4/3 adaptor question

Diane B

Yes--I have the Cameraquest (Rayqual) FD adaptor but if I was to buy today, I'd buy the one you linked to. I have another adaptor from jinfinance (EOS->m4/3rds) and its very nicely made and finished and gives a secure fit with camera body (G1) and lenses.

Yes, again--check the adaptor list at the beginning of this forum to see if one is avaialble http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dx428wg_10fdvsmtd7 but, AIR, there is one--and likely jinfinance has one. He did have a 'deal' if you bought 2 adaptors, so look for that.

Diane

B

Burningalive

Thanks! Do you or anyone else have some images your could post from this lens? I would love to see what it can do. I will be mounting it on a e-p1. Thanks.

pellicle

Hi

well, for the FD 50 there's several examples on my flickr pages here then I did some quick comparo's on my FD and OM 50s on my blog here.

its a nice lens, but will of course be a mid telephoto on the micro 4/3rds

the FD 28 works as a nice 'fifty' in look and feel, but is not quite bright enough. I'm hoping that a Pentax 110 lens will adapt nicely (it'll be smaller too)

B

Burningalive

Thanks for the photo's, it sounds like you have decided that the quality on the canon 50 1.8 isn't that great, would that be correct? It's about 100 dollars for the adaptor and I don't want to buy it if it doesn't make sense. All I will have is the kit 14-42mm until I can get some better glass. Thanks.

Diane B

Personally, I find the little 50 f/1.8 to be a nice lens on the G1. Others prefer the 50 f/1.4--minimum focusing is less, a bit faster--nice bokeh. You can see a little FD gallery here http://www.pbase.com/picnic/fd_gallery which includes all 4 of my FDs (24 f/2.8, 35 f/2.8, 50 f/1.8, 135 f/2.8). I chose the f/2.8s over the f/2.0s because of size/weight since my G1 (and I assume others' EP-1) was bought to be used as my 'small' cam (you can check FD's specs here http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/index.htm I already owned the 50 f/1.8 so might have bought the f/1.4 if I had bought a 50. As it is--I find I'm using my Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8 more--just a litte wider. Even more---I wish I had bought the 35/2 since I really like the 35 on the G1--and usually carry it (minimum focusing is less also than the 40 or 50).

Beyond trying to keep 'small'--I also didn't want to invest a huge amount in MF lenses but still wanted quite good ones. I anticipate that eventually there will be more primes for m4/3rds--I bought the 17 f/2.8 and like it for its FL--but am looking forward to the 20 f/1.7 in the Fall from Panasonic (we hope LOL). I'll have to consider which I want to keep at that point--but--for now, really enjoy shooting with the FDs and Hexanon and like the output.

Diane

B

Burningalive

I gotta say I think the 50 1.8 pictures you have are stunning! Now I really want the adapter! Thank you for the link.

pellicle

Hi

... it sounds like you have decided that the quality on the canon 50 1.8 isn't that great, would that be correct? ...
Thanks.

well its not quite that simple. For starters the FD 50 1.8 is cheap, I paid $12 for mine. I then use it on some extension tubes, this is very effective.

I think that the OM 50 f1.8 is slightly better but that could as well be my examples of gear.

I think it comes down to what other lenses you have and what you're thinking of buying. I've got a 300mm for birds too and I think that the Canon FD lens operates nicer than the Olympus 300 does.

I use the Olympus lenses on a film EOS camera which I can't do with the FD lenses (flange distance).

Check out jinfinance's adaptors and see if you can get one of the 2 in 1 designs ... there's plenty of M42 mount stuff out there which is lovely too.