The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Selling G1 getting E-P1, a Good Decision?

V

Vivek

Peter, No experience. My lens is still with the customs. When it reaches me, I will let you know.

Terry

Haha, a camera without articulating display, without EVF, without flash .... - that is named "JOKE-P1" ! :D
Must you "mock" people's choices. Obviously we understand that is not your own preference but big red letters screaming out isn't really necessary. I have both the G1 and the E-P1 both have their pluses and minuses. As an all around camera I think the G1 is better executed. However, there is some pull that has me wanting to pick up the E-P1 and use it. Sitting in Iceland on a landscape workshop, I used the E-P1 around town in Reykjavik and on the first day out in the country. It has been in the hotel room ever since and the G1 is being used along side the Sony.

iiiNelson

I can't say whether or not it's a good decision for you. I will say I have no plans to get a EP-1. As much as I love Olympus colors I hate the contrast and DR of their blacks as they just doesn't seem to be enough detail or darkness to them most of the time IMO. I guess it could be "fixed" in PP but all in all I like the IQ of the G1 better as I NEVER shoot JPEG ever. It makes me glad I didn't wait on the EP-1.

I'm looking forward to the assumed smaller body Micro 4/3 camera from Panasonic (I'd really like a second G1 body but they don't sell them body only yet) but it would have to retain or improve certain features of the G1. I would like an updated sensor but it MUST have a high resolution articulating LCD (like the G1) and some type of EVF would be nice as well. I would be satisfied if it was just a G1 in a smaller body to be honest. A Leica body made of magnesium or aluminum would be really sweet though too while I'm throwing out "wishlists" though.

Brian Mosley

E-P1 is the low end deal for a m4/3rds camera. No future cam can be this featureless, lack functions/usefulness and be priced like this (or may be Olympus will prove that wrong?! Next time they show something under the blankets...).

So, I am happy it is done with, in a way.:)
Vivek, I'm sure we must be talking about different cameras... could you please expand on which features/functions/usefulness you feel are missing?

This is the most feature rich camera I've ever used, has a high quality build and delivers superb IQ... I'm baffled by your assessment. Have you actually used one?

Kind Regards

Brian

N

nei1

Must you "mock" people's choices. Obviously we understand that is not your own preference but big red letters screaming out isn't really necessary. I have both the G1 and the E-P1 both have their pluses and minuses. As an all around camera I think the G1 is better executed. However, there is some pull that has me wanting to pick up the E-P1 and use it. Sitting in Iceland on a landscape workshop, I used the E-P1 around town in Reykjavik and on the first day out in the country. It has been in the hotel room ever since and the G1 is being used along side the Sony.
I think it was just a :ROTFL:JOKE:ROTFL: terry,lighten up,some of you americans take yourselves tOOseriously............best to you...Neil

Diane B

Monza, Vivek,

I have been playing with the idea of buying the 17mm alone to use on the G1. What is your experience with this combination?

Cheers
Peter
There is a thread in this forum (look for thread header with 17 f/2.8 in name) with shots I took first day with the 17 on the G1--or you can go here--there are quite a lot of shots of the 17 on the G1. I like it very much--makes the G1 quite a small package, very few cons I can find. I shoot in RAW so any CA is dealt with (if I turn it on in LR--which I forgot to do in first shot in gallery LOL--Vivek pointed it out).

start here--a number of 17 shots
http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/115045910

nostatic

I am in fact playing with the idea of getting a DLUX 4 or the corresponding Pana. With your experience of both cameras, what is speaking in favor of the E-P1?
They both have pluses and minuses. The DLux4 is the best small sensor camera I've ever seen. 24-60mm at 2.0-2.8. That is fast. The colors are very nice coming straight out of the camera and it is a low-light champ. Plus it is easy to carry - I almost always have it, and when I shoot on-location with my K20d I have it as my "wide" snapper.

That being said, if you pixel peep or print large, you'll be able to get a "better" file out of the E-P1. Physics is physics - there is no way that the small sensor can get the resolution that the u4/3 does. Plus it just draws differently.

With the EP1 you can swap lenses. With the DLux4, 60mm can come up pretty quickly. Being able to put a small RF fast 50 on the EP1 gives you 100mm FOV, and the Panny 45-200 zoom (with intact AF) gives you very long range. DLux4 can't do that.

They are just different cameras. The files look different, and they serve different purposes. I wanted a "street camera" that was unobtrusive but would still give me a file that I could radically crop and/or print 24x36. With the DLux4 I have printed 24x36 and it holds up - but not if I've cropped it. The extra resolution gives me more flexibility while still being in a camera that doesn't make people think, "oh why is that big zoom lens pointing at me?"

N

nei1

:banghead:

Neil,
Please stop disturbing the other members, American or from other parts of the world; it is just a matter of respect and do not be racist on top of insulting:banghead:

Its just a joke,really some of you swiss take yourselves too seriously,lighten up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!best to you,..........Neil.:banghead::wtf:

V

Vivek

Vivek, I'm sure we must be talking about different cameras... could you please expand on which features/functions/usefulness you feel are missing?

This is the most feature rich camera I've ever used, has a high quality build and delivers superb IQ... I'm baffled by your assessment. Have you actually used one?

Kind Regards

Brian
Indeed, I have, Brian. Gorgeous camera. With the black outfit that is now available, it would be stupendous (I am looking for a gold cover to commemorate the 50 years of Pen though).

Seriously, I close my eyes everytime I pass by a shop that has the E-P1. Absolutely, drop dead gorgeous.

V

Vivek

Monza, Vivek,

I have been playing with the idea of buying the 17mm alone to use on the G1. What is your experience with this combination?

Cheers
Peter

Apologies for forgetting Diane's threads (actually two) with many samples from the 17/2.8. :eek:

hot

Indeed, I have, Brian. Gorgeous camera. With the black outfit that is now available, it would be stupendous (I am looking for a gold cover to commemorate the 50 years of Pen though).
Ask for a similar E-P1 outfit :p

woodyspedden

I think it was just a :ROTFL:JOKE:ROTFL: terry,lighten up,some of you americans take yourselves tOOseriously............best to you...Neil
Neil

I know Terry and she takes her photography very seriously indeed.

She, and many, use these threads as a learning tool, not an entertainment experience. So while you joke, others choke.

I am very O.K with your point of view. But not if the way it is applied is to irreverently POKE on others who are trying to learn and share.

I think you should take your humor elsewhere and allow the folks on this forum and these threads to maximize the learning experience.

Yours

A way too uptight, foolish, AMERICAN. And thanks for the geographical attempt at humor which is worthless!!

Woody

iiiNelson

:banghead:

Its just a joke,really some of you swiss take yourselves too seriously,lighten up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!best to you,..........Neil.:banghead::wtf:
I don't think most people here are uptight at all. Quite the opposite actually.

The problem is until people really "know you" the internet isn't the best medium to convey humor through text based conversation alone. You lose body language, character, and tone amongst the many things involved in translating humor to an audience.

That said I don't think anyone means harm on either side so it's best just to move along to newer topics. :)

N

nei1

As you are commenting on a comment by someone else as was I.The original comment was made by hot where a rare attempt at humour was misunderstood ,my comment was over that missunderstanding.If you find that annoying then it looks like Im right.

However my intent was to cause nothing more than a wry smile so my apologies to all you frowners.......Neil.

:ROTFL:

Last edited:

hot

If you are not a professional photographer, photography should make

FUN / FUN / FUN & JOY

Cameras are tools for that. Not more.

That's my opinion about taking pictures - since (light)years.

Terry

I'll jump back in here. I'll think you'll find from my cumulative list of posts on this forum that while I do take my photography seriously I do have a sense of humor that I use quite regularly. What I try not to do is to mock peoples' choices of gear. What I was finally reacting to was not a single joke but a cumulative batch of posts about the E-P1 vs. G1 from "Hot". Here are some of the posts:

I think E-P1 is a (nineteenth) milestone in mFT, a nice camera - but for ME a overpriced toy. For pocket (aaaand 1280x720 movie) I have a Samsung WB500 with 10x zoom for 1/4 price of E-P1. And it IS...

Haha, a camera without articulating display, without EVF, without flash .... - that is named "JOKE-P1" ! :D

Hehe, I've G1 AND GH1 and would not change for all money of this world against "a toy" like E-P1 :D :p

GH1 is the better E-P1 :thumbs:

detto ... but I have enough toys :-}

barjohn

I played with the E-P1 on my latest trip and I leave tomorrow on another trip so I will get to play some more. It does take a little more effort to really start to feel you are mastering aspects of this camera. I just wish there was better RAW support. I have played with the JPGs using the new Bibble Pro 5 and I really like some of the aspects of the way it renders the image. It may actually give LR a run for its money as it seems to be much faster. LR has steadily gotten slower and slower. C1 renders nicely but is harder to use and does not have as many features.

Robert Campbell

There is a thread in this forum (look for thread header with 17 f/2.8 in name) with shots I took first day with the 17 on the G1--or you can go here--there are quite a lot of shots of the 17 on the G1. I like it very much--makes the G1 quite a small package, very few cons I can find. I shoot in RAW so any CA is dealt with (if I turn it on in LR--which I forgot to do in first shot in gallery LOL--Vivek pointed it out).

start here--a number of 17 shots
http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/115045910
'Turn on' the CA correction? -- you don't mean some sort of automatic correction, surely? Or have I missed something?