The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Selling G1 getting E-P1, a Good Decision?

M

mattyUK

Hi, i had a similar dilemma to the poster. I have recently sold my D300 and decent set of primes (180 f2.8, 35f2, voigtlander 40 & 58) and switched to m4/3 for health reasons (weight). I had to weigh up (excuse poor pun) choosing between faster AF (although not necessarily more accurate), swivel lcd, built in EVF etc. I was sorely tempted by the EP1 and I thought it might have been ideal but in the end plumped for the G1 (price factor too, great deals on it now).
Its horses for courses. I chose G1 as quite like a deep grip, and looking through a 'traditional' viewfinder (even if it is evf) due to my eyesight. I cannot crouch and the swivel screen allows me to frame shots quite easily.
Theres pro's and con's. Based on 90% of the threads i've read EP1 buyers love the camera. I am in no doubt had i chosen the EP1 (even though due to medical reason i would be very slightly more restricted) I would have loved it.
Just my 2 cents :)

RichA

E-P1 shine will be off soon enough

Hi, i had a similar dilemma to the poster. I have recently sold my D300 and decent set of primes (180 f2.8, 35f2, voigtlander 40 & 58) and switched to m4/3 for health reasons (weight). I had to weigh up (excuse poor pun) choosing between faster AF (although not necessarily more accurate), swivel lcd, built in EVF etc. I was sorely tempted by the EP1 and I thought it might have been ideal but in the end plumped for the G1 (price factor too, great deals on it now).
Its horses for courses. I chose G1 as quite like a deep grip, and looking through a 'traditional' viewfinder (even if it is evf) due to my eyesight. I cannot crouch and the swivel screen allows me to frame shots quite easily.
Theres pro's and con's. Based on 90% of the threads i've read EP1 buyers love the camera. I am in no doubt had i chosen the EP1 (even though due to medical reason i would be very slightly more restricted) I would have loved it.
Just my 2 cents :)
Once the novelty factor wears off, they'll desert it. The people likely to be satisfied with the E-P1 are the people migrating from lesser P&S's because they won't already have a DSLR experience. People for whom no viewfinder (EVF) and poor manual focusing capabilities are alien concepts to them.
Olympus said they aimed it at such people.

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Re: E-P1 shine will be off soon enough

Once the novelty factor wears off, they'll desert it. The people likely to be satisfied with the E-P1 are the people migrating from lesser P&S's because they won't already have a DSLR experience. People for whom no viewfinder (EVF) and poor manual AF capabilities are alien concepts to them.
It seems to me, that Olympus have been caught out by the level of interest in the E-P1... and from all quarters - if you use the camera for a couple of weeks (provided you have decent eyesight), I think you'll appreciate the level of excitement out there.

Cheers

Brian

RichA

It seems to me, that Olympus have been caught out by the level of interest in the E-P1... and from all quarters - if you use the camera for a couple of weeks (provided you have decent eyesight), I think you'll appreciate the level of excitement out there.

Cheers

Brian
I don't doubt the camera is reasonably competent, but it comes down to comparative capabilities. IMO, it is vastly underspec'd compared to the G1 and most DSLRs and isn't much smaller than the G1 so what people are buying is newness and novelty. If they release a new one with a good EVF (or even a good LCD, the current one is mediocre) and built-in flash, and a true pancake lens (like Pentax's 40mm f2.8) then it will be a terrific alternative to a DSLR.

nostatic

It is a different form factor and a different way of shooting. Trying to do a direct comparison to a dSLR won't get you very far.

fwiw I have a dSLR and vastly prefer the EP1 to the G1. The G1 is essentially trying to imitate a dSLR. The EP1 isn't. And spec sheets rarely tell the whole story. My g/f loves her G1. I hate it.

But that is the beauty of the marketplace. Buy and use what makes you happy.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
It's not just what a camera does that counts...it's maybe more important HOW it does it and HOW it works with the photographer.
I feel the EP1 working with me and I only had it for 1 day...The first few images and I felt a synergism with the camera.....This feeling is not common and when it happens....it's magic.

On my Black Laq M4, I had the range finder removed and the frame lines except for the 35mm.... That camera is MOJO for me but alas....it eats film and not pixels....

With the OLY, I gotz magic man and it's a pretty site I tell ya...

barjohn

While the size difference is small between the EP1 and the G1 the perceived size difference is much greater. I think it i due to the thiness. I have now received the case and carrying strap from Japan and find it is easy to carry and use and feels like it isn't there. Being all white makes it appear to be innocent and inconspicuous and certainly not threatening like a big black DSLR.

See the photos below:

Last edited:

monza

I don't doubt the camera is reasonably competent, but it comes down to comparative capabilities. IMO, it is vastly underspec'd compared to the G1 and most DSLRs and isn't much smaller than the G1 so what people are buying is newness and novelty. If they release a new one with a good EVF (or even a good LCD, the current one is mediocre) and built-in flash, and a true pancake lens (like Pentax's 40mm f2.8) then it will be a terrific alternative to a DSLR.
Well, the G1 doesn't have image stabilization and it doesn't have HD video, so the E-P1 is hardly "underspec'd." To some, the G1 is underspec'd. It all depends on individual choice. I disagree with the newness/novelty comment. It either works for the user, or it doesn't. For example, I rarely if ever use the G1 flash. If I had an E-P1 I wouldn't care that it doesn't have a flash built-in. But my needs aren't the same as other's.

I've said for months that I would consider buying an Olympus if they brought out a model with all the G1 features plus in-body image stabilization. They didn't. Rather than knock the E-P1 for what it is, I'm sticking with the G1 for now. It won't be long til there are more models. That's what is really good about micro 4/3 - having two companies supporting the format.

nostatic

Well, the G1 doesn't have image stabilization and it doesn't have HD video, so the E-P1 is hardly "underspec'd." To some, the G1 is underspec'd. It all depends on individual choice. I disagree with the newness/novelty comment. It either works for the user, or it doesn't. For example, I rarely if ever use the G1 flash. If I had an E-P1 I wouldn't care that it doesn't have a flash built-in. But my needs aren't the same as other's..
Is there a built-in flash that doesn't suck? Especially on a smaller camera they generally yield terrible results at least in my hands. I vastly prefer having IS and decent high ISO. I *never* use the flash on the DLux4 or my K20d. Fast glass, IS and available light are a beautiful thing. I'll happily take the high iso noise...

In-body stabilization is a big plus for EP1 and knock against G1. Video is plus for EP1, knock against G1. The articulated display is plus for G1 (if you want to fiddle with it - I don't like to) and knock against EP1. EVF? I despise the G1 EVF. Give me a pentaprism or an LCD. But that is a personal bias...

Diane B

I've said for months that I would consider buying an Olympus if they brought out a model with all the G1 features plus in-body image stabilization. They didn't. Rather than knock the E-P1 for what it is, I'm sticking with the G1 for now. It won't be long til there are more models. That's what is really good about micro 4/3 - having two companies supporting the format.
That's about where I am. I won't knock the E-P1--it knocks my socks off design wise, but otherwise isn't the right camera for me. I'm looking forward to more models to have choices.

I don't/never have used on camera flash so that's not an issue.

Diane

monza

EVF? I despise the G1 EVF. Give me a pentaprism or an LCD. But that is a personal bias...
There won't ever be a micro 4/3 with a pentaprism, of course. On the otherhand, I think the G1 EVF is fantastic. ;)

nostatic

There won't ever be a micro 4/3 with a pentaprism, of course. On the otherhand, I think the G1 EVF is fantastic. ;)
I was thinking of gluing one on :p

I think it is a case of expectations with me. I had an early EVF camera (Panny FZ-20) and the EVF drove me nuts. I know the G1 is light years ahead of that but when I bought the G1 for my g/f I shot it back to back with my K20d and just had a hard time liking the look of the EVF. I do appreciate the articulated screen though.

The G1 is just a totally different gestalt than the EP1. Really the only similar thing is the sensor size. Otherwise I find them to be totally different beasts.

ecsh

The E-P1 is a no go for me. I tried the no viewfinder thing with the D-Lux and that did not work out well. Never felt comfortable shooting it. Sold it less than a month in. Have the G1 and love it. Even though i use the A900 more, alot of times the G1 goes along for the ride because its so small. All in what you like and feel comfortable using.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Sorry Rich, but you just don't know what you are talking about here.

No, the E-P1 is not for everyone (no camera is). But I know some very serious photographers who are delighted with it, and I am one of them.

My main systems for the past two years have been the 5D Mark II and the M8. Not exactly P&S material. I use almost exclusively manual focus lenses. I owned the G1. Nice camera - well conceived and executed. But for me, not nearly as enjoyable to use as the E-P1.

I've been using the E-P1 daily for the past few weeks, and I find it to be an excellent tool for certain situations, most notably travel/street/walk-around shooting. I still grab the Canon for serious portraits, landscapes, or any sports/action shots.

For those who think it's a toy... you are entitled to your opinion, and the E-P1 may not be for you. But you should do yourself a favor, and open your mind a bit. Your close-mindedness will do you a disservice in the long run.

Once the novelty factor wears off, they'll desert it. The people likely to be satisfied with the E-P1 are the people migrating from lesser P&S's because they won't already have a DSLR experience. People for whom no viewfinder (EVF) and poor manual focusing capabilities are alien concepts to them.

monza

A good friend of mine (20+ years) who is a Canon 1ds Mk III/ 5D Mk II pro (portrait/models), recently picked up an E-P1 from me, and he finds that unlike the big behemoth Canon DSLRs, his models feel much more comfortable when he shoots the E-P1. It doesn't look like a pro camera, so they tend to be more relaxed. He's enjoying the heck out of it.

Terry

I've now been in Iceland for 6 days. Each photo session I take two cameras with me with the A900 always going.

So, the choice is E-P1 or G1. On day 0 before the workshop it was the E-P1 for walking around Reykajvik. Day 1 of the workshop E-P1. Every day since then it has been the G1. While I really enjoy the E-P1 it think it is better suited for street and more casual travel not more rugged back country landscape photography. To me the G1 with the EVF and articulated screen is just much easier to handle and work with out in the field.

In the weeks prior to my trip just shooting in and around San Francisco I hadn't picked up the G1 and loved walking around with the E-P1. I've found both have their strengths and weaknesses. Both are excellent and very happy to have the luxury of owning both. I now feel very comfortable with which tool is best suited for ME for each purpose.

terry

Last edited:

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Terry - your current assessment makes a lot of sense to me, after working with both cameras.

I think the E-P1 is more suited to street/walk-around type shooting (the types of situations where I would often grab my M8), while the G1 would be better suited for landscape work.

I can see where the articulated LCD and EVF would be really handy in landscape shooting situations. The nice thing about the G1 EVF is that it is well in low light.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your shots from Iceland!

monza

More info from the Canon pro:

"I took the new Olympus into the studio today and did a few
test shots on a white seamless. This is the kit zoom at the longest
focal length, the hot shoe triggered the Alien Bees on first attempt.
Neither Aperture or ACR support the RAW file yet, so this is a 100%
non-retouched full res jpeg - of my camera shy assistant ;)

As you can see, plenty of shadow detail in her black shorts, nice skin
tones, a "little" banding in the highlight transition area on her
arms, but that should be better with RAW.

Of course, it's not designed to be a studio camera, but I wanted to
test the image quality and the lights were already set up.

So far, I think Olympus has a winner here!"

Click on the image for full-size.

A good friend of mine (20+ years) who is a Canon 1ds Mk III/ 5D Mk II pro (portrait/models), recently picked up an E-P1 from me, and he finds that unlike the big behemoth Canon DSLRs, his models feel much more comfortable when he shoots the E-P1. It doesn't look like a pro camera, so they tend to be more relaxed. He's enjoying the heck out of it.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I am feeling concerned for your DP1. ;)
Tim,
Yeah...Siggy is in trouble. There are a few features missing from the OLY but I'm sure in a firmware update....that will be fixed.

I sold G9 already...much to my surprise. Oly replaced that camera in about 15 seconds....
Shooter