The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Selling G1 getting E-P1, a Good Decision?

V

Vivek

As you can see, plenty of shadow detail in her black shorts,
Evidently, that pro has very low standards for a studio shoot. Only details are near the edges. The crotch area of the shorts has no "details".

This is no different than "Hot"'s posts, only has a different direction, in my opinion.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Vivek,
On my monitor...there is details all over and tone separation. I just think the image is bad and the eye travel does not flow at all..but
there's details on my Calibrated Mac...
shooter

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Vivek,
On my monitor...there is details all over and tone separation. I just think the image is bad and the eye travel does not flow at all..but
there's details on my Calibrated Mac...
shooter
Agreed Streetshooter - my Mac 17in MacBook screen also shows lots of details and tones in the black shorts.

Keith

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Vivek - for what it's worth, I can see detail as well.

However, I wouldn't personally choose the E-P1 for studio work. And I don't think it would have any technical edge over the G1, but it might have a more relaxing effect on the model (like the difference between an M8 and a DSLR).

Regarding the "hot" posts, I do see a difference here. This poster was not trying to put down any other camera - simply making some observations about situations/ways they could use the E-P1. I viewed the "hot" posts as mocking other people's camera choice. I may have totally misinterpreted them (that's easy to do when reading text), but that's how they came across to me.

monza

The only reason I posted my friend's comments and photo, is that he's coming from the full frame Canon world. He uses a 1ds Mk II and a 5D Mk II, and all sorts of high priced (huge) fast L lenses. It speaks very well about the E-P1 for him to react positively about the performance.

nostatic

He uses a 1ds Mk II and a 5D Mk II, and all sorts of high priced (huge) fast L lenses. It speaks very well about the E-P1 for him to react positively about the performance.
That's just heresy. Next thing someone will say that Pentax actually makes a decent camera. :ROTFL:

V

Vivek

Nostatic! :ROTFL:

I switched to another monitor (yet another temporary one, the "good one" is yet to come) and still there is no "shadow" detail to be found in the said area.
Wherever it was lit, there is detail.

(I am unsure if the shorts show as true black- but that could be just my monitor but PS black dropper does suggest that it isn't all that black.)

nostatic

Clearly we need more shots as reference. Since there seems to be a main point of contention can we get some of the model without the shorts?

(apologies to our female members:D )

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Clearly we need more shots as reference. Since there seems to be a main point of contention can we get some of the model without the shorts?

(apologies to our female members:D )
He means well, but his typing speed is faster than his brain :ROTFL:

What he meant to say is, could we get some pictures of the shorts without the model - that way we could be objective, and help solve Vivek's monitor problem :):)

Keith

V

Vivek

Like Mike said, there isn't much of a difference between the G1 and the E-P1 when in comes to shadow details/noise. The G1 files are very good but are easily bettered by even Nikon D40x'. Dropping names like Canon 1Ds and 5D is quite similar to LL making a comparison between medium format digital backs to Leica M8.

Besides, why would a professional model surrounded by studio lights and is paid to pose be intimidated by a camera? :confused:

Here is a shot through G1 and some lens. The major benefit is the swivel LCD screen (absent in E-P1) that allows for proper framing/focus. Since the my body and hand is surrounding the LCD screen in 2 directions it is easy to view the image even in bright light (in worst case scenario there is always the EVF- again not present in an E-P1).

Most of the subjects are not even aware of the G1 like in this instance (unintended self portrait as well).

monza

Vivek, I'm at a loss as to why you would discount my friend's comments to be of no value. He likes the camera, he is pleased with the images, that's all the counts, right? :) Nowhere did he say the E-P1 produced images the same quality as the Canons, so your medium format vs. M8 comment really is misplaced.

Robert

Diane B

'Turn on' the CA correction? -- you don't mean some sort of automatic correction, surely? Or have I missed something?
Robert, in LR you need to go to Details and CA correction. You can correct with sliders--but if that doesn't work (and actually I forgot to even pay much attention to CA so didn't do either--it was late), you need to select something rather than 'off---I find 'all edges' works very well--and you have to choose that or 'highlight edges'. I wasn't very clear. I almost always use one or the other--so have to 'turn on' one of the 2 options plus use the sliders. Sometimes it works fine without sliders by choosing one or the other--depends upon how bad the CA is.

Diane

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Vivek, I'm at a loss as to why you would discount my friend's comments to be of no value. He likes the camera, he is pleased with the images, that's all the counts, right? :) Nowhere did he say the E-P1 produced images the same quality as the Canons, so your medium format vs. M8 comment really is misplaced.

Robert
Hi Robert,

Those thoughts were from a friend of mine who uses a Canon 5D for casual snaps and street and other cams for other purposes.

If you want to discuss your take on a camera, I would not think about LL and make any such comparisons at all.

Oh, yeah. You should be pleased with the outcome that is the bottomline.:)

My friend deems the E-P1 to be of not much use. He and I agree that it is one cute camera.

jonoslack

It is a different form factor and a different way of shooting. Trying to do a direct comparison to a dSLR won't get you very far.

fwiw I have a dSLR and vastly prefer the EP1 to the G1. The G1 is essentially trying to imitate a dSLR. The EP1 isn't. And spec sheets rarely tell the whole story. My g/f loves her G1. I hate it.

But that is the beauty of the marketplace. Buy and use what makes you happy.
I'm with nostatic here Vivek - it takes a considerable rethink of how you shoot to make the most of it, but when you do - then it's great. The G1 didn't press my button either, but the pen certainly does, but not if I try and shoot it like any other camera.

As far as I'm concerned the LCD on the pen is just a framing device and a means of getting absolute focus - I'll normally be looking at the subject and glancing at the LCD. The G1 hinges around the use of the EVF, which might be better quality than the LCD on the E-P1, but is still pretty iffy (to me that is).

V

Vivek

Absolutely, no conflicts there, Jono. The folks here who are delighted with the E-P1, I am very happy for them and I enjoy seeing that delight shown through many lovely pictures being shown here.:)

Let me add here that I plunged into the G1 without much expectations, it took me a while to work with the files (still could improve) but the EVF and the swivel LCD changed the way I shoot. So, instead being a novelty camera (that was the original idea), it has become the street cam for me. Without those doodahs (I do not like the looks or even the form factor of the G1), what Oly did when they raised the blanket was an utter disappointment. I am eagerly awaiting the E-P2 to put those pen F lenses to use on it (or them- I might get a few).

Last edited:

hot

I was very disappointed by E-P1 .. perhaps Pana makes "the better E-P1"

If not .. I've my GH1 :)

For under € 500 (with 100 € promotion discount) you get a G1 + 14-45 .. wow!

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
This reminds me of a raging debate I saw on another forum about which was better: the Canon 5D or the Leica M8. That debate raged for months, and got quite nasty, with many folks getting 'religious' about their choice.

I thought that whole debate was quite silly, since I owned and used both cameras regularly. After all, these are just tools, and we each pick the one that best serves our purpose and shooting style, right? I can certainly see how the G1 would serve a certain shooting style much better than the E-P1, and vice-versa.

hot - I'm with you - I hope that Pana makes a better E-P1. I hope both Oly and Pana continue to evolve and refine the theme of the E-P1, because I like that form factor and shooting style.

Diane B

I totally agree that is is a silly debate--as was the 5D vs. the M8. Glad I missed that one LOL.

I'm trying to get my head around Jono's shooting style. I think I understand it--and its not really realistic with the G1 because the EVF overhangs the LCD at that angle making it a bit harder to try (that is with the LCD just flipped over on the back--not out to the side and tilted). So--got out my old G9 and tried (and interestingly enough--or not--shooting the same shot inside with both--there's no doubt the m43/rds sensors are SOOOOOO much better than the P & S--DR wise, etc.--maybe the G10 is that much better than the G9, but still....).

I'm thinking that the LCD on the Pen must be better optimized for that ability to shoot at different angles because the G9 was difficult to really see at the lower/fore angle that I think Jono is describing--and it has a very good LCD. Consequently (when I tried the Pen, it was raining so I didn't take it outside to try--and I was more interested in trying MF lenses with adaptors than anything else), I imagine that the Pen is quite nice for street shooting (and for things like riding, as Jono was--or just a very slim cam in a very small bag on a belt--just in case). As it is--that rarely comes up for me due to both shooting style, preference in subjects--and where and how I live day to day. For Jono's idea of shooting macros--not difficult to shoot with G1's LCD flat on back like the Pen, so that's a wash on the two from that standpoint.

I think, for those that like the 4/3rds sensor, want smaller and a VF AND can afford both, it would be a great pair. I'm still thinking I will likely buy an evolution of the Pen style from one of the mfg. down the road as I'm finding that the 4/3rds sensor works for me for a lot of my shooting these days--and the 5D, while I love output, just gets left at home quite a lot.

Diane

Last edited: