The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Selling G1 getting E-P1, a Good Decision?

barjohn

I decided to sell my G1 and purchase an E-P1. I hate giving up the EVF and faster AF (from what I read); however, every time I try and take it to a social event my wife complains that the camera is too big and it embarrasses her if I take it out to take pictures (imagine how she would react to a real DSLR). I am hoping the E-P1 is sufficiently smaller (at least from a perception standpoint) that she won't object. She is OK with our various P&S cameras. What do those of you with E-P1s think? I should get a white one tomorrow with a 17mm lens thanks to Monza. I hope that the white will make it seem less like a big hunking DSLR and look to her more like a discreet P&S about the size of the G7 we have.

Anyone wanting a good deal on a black G1 in like new condition with all the original items, box etc. feel free to PM me. I also have the 45-200 lens available.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I did the same thing, and don't regret it at all. If you've used and like the M8, then I think you'll enjoy the E-P1, as it has a similar 'feel' to it.

For some, the EVF is critical, and for them, the E-P1 is not a good answer. For me, the other advantage of the E-P1 outweigh the need for an EVF, and I'm quite happy with E-P1.

barjohn

Thanks for the feedback Mike. I have owned the M8 and constantly wished Leica had come out with a digital CL as I also owned a CL and loved the camera. I always thought it was a perfect size to carry around and yet get high quality images. Of course, if they could get a FF DSLR like the old Oly OM series I would jump on it too. The G1 is a great little camera but just a tad too obtrusive for my usage.

John,

Would an additional P/S not be a better solution? Even a second hand FX01 or similar might give good enough results at social events. See here some examples of what they are capable of.

Cheers
Peter

Y.B.Hudson III

john... my "bright ideas" and gear choices have often been the source of embassment for my significant others... "Like you c@n't take him anywhere"...that said, The EP 1 might just fit your shooting style with out too much compromise.

regards, Hudson

pentacon6

:ROTFL: Why every man on earth has to ask his wife before buying a thing?
IMO, I will buy one more, and keep the G1 as a backup. Although G1 looks
bulky, the flip monitor is still unbeatable in some critical situation where ever at low and high angle.

I own G1, and tried E-P1 too. What I think is the user interface is not ease of use as G1 and also the LCD resolution is a little bit dragging my leg to go on it.

I just wonder, if one day E-P1 and GH1 has another advance models with fullHD video @ 120 fps, I will wait till that day to replace my G1. The only reason of E-P1 are styling, HD movie and image stabilizer.

Last edited:

Joan

John, can you hold off on selling your G1 and wait until you give the E-P1 a good test to decide? I just got my G1 and absolutely love it, would sorely miss the EVF and the articulated LCD.

My husband and son are like your wife ... they get freaked out if I take ANY camera into a social setting and try to take pictures. I have been trying to convert them to my way of thinking - that the slight embarrassment they might feel at the moment will be replaced by the great memories those pictures will preserve for years to come. So far I haven't really convinced them, stubborn pair of .... :rolleyes:

JMaher

John,

I have only has the E-p1 less than a day but I can easily see me taking it to events I would not have brought my other cameras to. It just looks so less intimidating in real life.

Jim

barjohn

I have to admit the wives and in Jean's case husband and son can be a pain about these issues. My wife doesn't mind if it is discrete like a P&S but I don't like the poor image quality of higher ISO on P&Ss and the deer in the headlights look from the tiny flashes. I have a Canon G7 and an Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 and the IQ just isn't there. I have also owned the Leica DL3 and it didn't have sufficient IQ. The G7 has significant noise even at low ISO and it is very visible when printed above 8x10. I like to print large images up to 13x19 and if there is a lot of noise present I don't like the look.

barjohn

I can tolerate the poor IQ of the Stylus Tough because I use it in the water and at the beach where I wouldn't want to risk a more expensive camera that was not water proof. I just wish it had better image quality. Perhaps the new Pentax waterproof camera will finally offer a waterproof camera with at least decent IQ.

Brian Mosley

Hi John,

I know exactly where you're coming from on this, and now that I have the E-P1 I can confirm it works so much better than a camera with eye level viewfinder.

You'll love it! except for the CDAF focusing, which lags some way behind the G1 in terms of speed and sophistication. I am sure that Olympus are ploughing time and money into improving their CDAF performance right now. I expect a number of firmware upgrades.

Kind Regards

Brian

barjohn

The stories of slow focusing concern me but then the Canon G7 and the Oly Tough 6000 are really slow.

Frank Petronio

Not Available
It is a shame Panasonic hasn't released the 20mm prime lens yet, as I think that smaller lens will make the camera much less awkward. Right now it feels like a miniature Digital Rebel but with a smaller prime lens it will feel more Leica-like and jacket-pocketable.

I just saw speculative renderings of a "Pany LX-5" that looks to have a removable EVF -- the best of both worlds. I really like the G1 EVF now though, to me it is better than the APS DSLR optical viewfinders in real world use.

barjohn

I'm not sure a removable EVF is as good an option as a built in one. They could put the viewfinder and electronics off to the left (as seen from the back) ala Leica VF. But provide equal to or better than current G1 EVF resolution.

retow

Buying the ep1 is a good decision. Whether selling the G1 an equally good one, I'm not so sure about. Both have a lot going for them.
With the 17mm, the EP1 is coat pocketable, DR seems to be slightly better, compact, lightweight yet sturdy design (feels like a premium product), form and size just feel right. The G1 offers EVF, tilt screen, focuses faster. I prefer EVF over lcd focusing with longer/heavier lenses and also believe the G1 form allows to handle larger lenses easier.
An alternative could be to buy the EP1 with the pancake only, keep the G1 and use its kit zoom on the EP1 as well. I prefer the Pana kit zoom over the Oly's, not only because of slightly longer reach. The Oly 14-42 is a somewhat akward, wobbly feeling construction, extending quite a bit when used. And there seems to be no straight forward solution to use it with filter and hood.
I presently have both cameras and had thoughts of selling the G1, but considering how low prices have come down, I might simply keep it.
Just my 2cents.

barjohn

I just received the E-P1 and I need to do some playing and shooting to see how well it works for me. The body certainly feels solid and the 17mm pancake is small. I will post more later after i have had more time with it.

Diane B

It is a shame Panasonic hasn't released the 20mm prime lens yet, as I think that smaller lens will make the camera much less awkward. Right now it feels like a miniature Digital Rebel but with a smaller prime lens it will feel more Leica-like and jacket-pocketable.
I can say that a pancake def. makes the G1 quite jacket pocketable. I bought the Oly 17 f/2.8 to use through the Summer (until the 20 appears) for just that purpose, though for now I'm sticking it in a small handbag when I only want to carry it without a photographic purpose. The pancake barely protrudes past the grip--nice compact package.

barjohn

I also have the Minolta (Leica) 40/2 and it works very nicely as a very compact package and gives me that extra f-stop.