The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

c-mount lenses from 8mm film cameras

gmoe

Hi folks,

Been collecting my share of c-mount lenses. Most are from 16mm film cameras. I do have one, an Angenieux, from an old 8mm film camera.

There seems to be a number of c-mount lenses that you can find with 8mm film cameras. Should we stay away from c-mount lenses from 8mm film cameras? Or does it not matter that the c-mount lens comes off of an 8mm film camera?

I'd assume that it shouldn't matter and what really matters is the image circle of each lens.

Any thoughts or experience?

Thanks!

R

Ranger 9

I may be wrong about this -- and if I am, I'm sure there are plenty of people here who will enthusiastically inform both of us about my wrongness is voluminous and loving detail -- but I thought one of the differences is that 8mm camera flange-to-film distances were not standardized.

That means that even if you find an ex-8mm lens that fits your C-mount adapter, it may not position the lens for correct focusing.

I'd also bet you'll find that the vast majority of 8mm alumni lenses have a smaller image circle than 16mm lenses and won't come very close to filling the frame on your µ4/3 camera. Then again, I could be wrong about that, too, so you might as well have a whack at it...

gmoe

Thanks Ranger 9.

I have an Angenieux 8-64 f/1.9 that was probably pulled from a Beaulieu 4008 8mm film camera. The lens practically fits in my pants pocket and it's size is really prefect for the G1/GH1 and since it was such a small zoom at a fairly reasonable price I thought I'd pick one up for my collection to test out.

I thought one of the differences is that 8mm camera flange-to-film distances were not standardized
I was afraid of this too but I thought I'd take a risk. I'll let folks know if it's usable at all.

J

jlduh

I'm also very interested in your experiment!

I believe also it won't work but experience is better than belief!

So i stay tuned on this topic :thumbup:

JL

pentacon6

8mm lens is good for taking extreme macro photo.
If it can't cover the whole sensor, you may reverse the lens when using it.
The quality is amazing.

gmoe

Reversing the lens? What kind of adapter would you have to use to connect the front filter of the lens to a c-mount? Sounds interesting please share how it's done!

henningw

Reversing the lens? What kind of adapter would you have to use to connect the front filter of the lens to a c-mount? Sounds interesting please share how it's done!
See: http://tinyurl.com/nkjvcs

I used to have a 13mm/0.9 Switar that was truly amazing as a reversed macro lens. Also, it was one macro combination where you could really see what you were doing.

Henning