The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I like the E-P1 neck strap but...

tom in mpls

I now have my E-P1 white body, which I think is way cool. We went out to a festival in a nearby river town today, and I found the neck strap easy to wear, and I rather like being able to display the camera since it is so great looking. However it didn't work for shooting. Since I was not using the viewfinder, I found that every time I wanted to shoot something I had to remove the neck strap in order hold the camera out far enough to see the screen. It would be perfect for viewfinder shooting, but I find I liked shooting from the LCD. I believe I actually take more pictures than I would with a viewfinder for some reason.

What to do now? With my big 5D I carry it in a small shoulder bag (Lowepro TLZ-1, I think), and then hold it with an RRS hand strap which allows me to relax my grip and let the camera hang on my lowered hand.

Since it really isn't small enough for a shirt or pants pocket, I'm thinking of trying a wrist strap if I can find one I like.

Are there others who spend their energy mulling this over?

Terry

I wasn't using anything until this week. I ordered a strap from Luigi (Leicatime.com). I've shortened it up (it's adjustable) and carry it over my shoulder but being short it doesn't really bounce around. I did manage to put a scratch on my screen early on and now I've used the film meant for iPhones on it (I cut it to the right size. I was worried about doing this but it did not affect the viewing angle)

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TN612LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0NA&mco=MTIxOTQ5OQ

So yes you aren't the only one thinking about it. Also, if I had the white camera the strap would be perhaps the "desert" color

http://www.leicatime.com/DeluxeStraps12finishes-01-06warn1.jpg

terry

slosync

I now have my E-P1 white body, which I think is way cool. We went out to a festival in a nearby river town today, and I found the neck strap easy to wear, and I rather like being able to display the camera since it is so great looking. However it didn't work for shooting. Since I was not using the viewfinder, I found that every time I wanted to shoot something I had to remove the neck strap in order hold the camera out far enough to see the screen. It would be perfect for viewfinder shooting, but I find I liked shooting from the LCD. I believe I actually take more pictures than I would with a viewfinder for some reason.

What to do now? With my big 5D I carry it in a small shoulder bag (Lowepro TLZ-1, I think), and then hold it with an RRS hand strap which allows me to relax my grip and let the camera hang on my lowered hand.

Since it really isn't small enough for a shirt or pants pocket, I'm thinking of trying a wrist strap if I can find one I like.

Are there others who spend their energy mulling this over?
Hi Tom,

I've run into the same problem with the neck strap... Especially when I carry it across my body (over the neck and left arm).

I'm playing with two options that I'm trying out now; 1) a wrist strap and 2) a sling.

The wrist strap works ok, except I find myself trying to use the hand with the camera for other things and have come close to smacking the camera against things... e.g table, chair, doors...

The (neck) sling seems to be working however I'm trying to find one that works freely with the camera while being able to hang at the right "spot". I tried the R-Strap from Black Rapid but it's a little to thick or heavy for the M4/3rds cameras and doesn't slide well. Gordy's Sling on the other hand looks like a hot set-up. He makes them out of leather and it looks like it will allow the camera to slide easily. I have one on order.

Take a look at Gordy's Straps, you might find some possibilities there plus they look good too. Here's a link.

http://www.electricedge.com/gordy_s_straps/index.htm

Here's the Black Rapid Link also:

http://www.blackrapid.com/innovations.php

Best,
Don

tom in mpls

Thanks, Don. We look forward to your report on the Gordy's strap.

Was the Black Rapid long enough to shoot with the LCD screen without "unhitching" the camera?

barjohn

I just received my white E-P1 and the strap that came with it is black; however, pictures I have seen with the white show it with a light brown strap that matches the grip. Did I get the wrong strap?

tom in mpls

I just received my white E-P1 and the strap that came with it is black; however, pictures I have seen with the white show it with a light brown strap that matches the grip. Did I get the wrong strap?
We both got the wrong strap. :grin:

Mine is black also.

Last edited:

Diane B

Has anyone tried the Y strap?? Terry (TEBnewyork) put me on to it. I haven't really shot with it 'in anger' as they say LOL, but trying it, it works nicely for the G1 and I would certainly think for the EP-1.

My problem is that I really do like to carry at least 2 lenses--one on body and one other--minimum (If I HAVE to have only one lens, it likely will be a 35 or 40). So--there again Terry had a good suggestion. I have a Terraclime 100 on its way. It appears to be softer, more flexible than my Domke 5Xb (which is still 'square' sort of). I really have found I like my Domke 6 (little bit smaller) for a FL range from 9mm to 200mm. Worked with it today--great--I had the 17 f/2.8, 9-18, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2.8, 50 f/1.8 and the 45-200--plus 2 adaptors and assorted other things (NDs, polarizer, IR filter, extra battery and SD card--and more). However, the Terraclime looks as though I can use it with a lot of flexibility (I have a lot of bags--but tend to use my 3 Domkes the most--plus my 2 Slings)--just the camera and a lens or 2, some personal things--or carry the G1 and the lenses I feel I need--probably, as she does, in lens bags.

But--back to the Y--it seems that a lot of Leica folks love it so an EP-1 person maybe would also because of form. I think you would have no problem using the LCD--and I think its quite a bit lighter than the R strap.

Diane

slosync

Thanks, Don. We look forward to your report on the Gordy's strap.

Was the Black Rapid long enough to shoot with the LCD screen without "unhitching" the camera?
Hi again Tom,

Yes, the strap is long enough and can be adjusted however if you like to hold the camera well out in front of you then when you put the camera back down it may feel a little low (on the hip).

I also purchased the Y-Strap and it is much lighter than the Black Rapid and it works well with my G1. However it's length is not adjustable. It works pretty well for me as I usually use the EVF. However if you use the LCD to compose and focus, I find that I have to keep your elbows tucked and the camera will be around 8-10 inches from my face. (At least with the length of strap I bought.)

Cheers,
Don

tom in mpls

Hmm, the Y-strap is red. Not good. Also, I wonder if the attachment rings will rub against the camera. It is adjustable. Still not sure if it will work well for LCD framing; it seems I like to hold the camera in a variety of positions that are further away from my body than a neck or cross-body strap allows.

However, perhaps the cross-body strap is longer than a neck strap and will allow enough range.

tom in mpls

Jonathon, I'm guessing you are using it on a G1 as well. Do you find any problem with the attachment ring rubbing against the camera? I would like to avoid any damage to the finish. A fabric strap that runs through the camera lugs sounds preferable to me.

His web site needs a refresh. The video shows a red strap, but the description at indianhillimageworks.com lists black only. Black would be a big improvement.

Last edited:

back alley

i use only wrist straps on each of my cameras.

latest one to try was from zhou, 19 bucks from ebay, all leather, very very nice.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Jonathon, I'm guessing you are using it on a G1 as well. Do you find any problem with the attachment ring rubbing against the camera? I would like to avoid any damage to the finish. A fabric strap that runs through the camera lugs sounds preferable to me.
Tom, believe it or not, I bought the Y-strap for the EVIL camera that I intend to purchase. I'm waiting for the August announcements by Panasonic about their compact m4/3rds model and Samsung about the NX10 before making a decision. But I might wind up getting a G1. (I think I'm amongst the minority that doesn't find the E-P1 and its lenses particularly appealing.)

But I'm pretty sure that Terry uses the Y-strap with a G1 so hopefully she'll answer your question.

Ben Rubinstein

I have a Y strap. Warning, if you're a big (fat) bloke like me (6' tall, 250lb) then it's just not long enough, you end up with the camera dangling halfway down your stomach rather than comfortably at your waist. I have the black one. Don't like the whole foldover 'Y' stitching thing either, doesn't sit comfortably on my shoulder at all.

Diane B

I will say that my preference is for a wrist strap. That's what I use 99% of the time. I have several but particularly like Gordy's--bought a black with red thread. I also have an Optech (I think) which will detach easily--the strap is simply a safety thing--not to carry it by.

The Y is really for travel--which I haven't done lately. I don't think I'd bother for day to day and really like the wrist strap (carrying the camera in hand by grip--I do the same with my 5D most of the time) and put extra lenses in a very small bag.

tom in mpls

For those at home keeping score, at this point I favor the Mr. Zhou as I am leaning towards the wrist strap, and Mr. Zhou has the small pad bit to prevent the ring from chafing on the camera.