The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Heavy lenses on G1?

mrtoml

I got a G1 a few days ago and and very impressed with it. If I had one misgiving it would be that it feels a little flimsy and plastic (I'm much more used to solid metal cameras). But obviously this is also one of its attractions - it is a light camera that is easy to carry around all day.

I have a lot of manual focus Nikon lenses and I am thinking of buying an adapter, but I am slightly concerned about using the bigger, longer, heavier ones like the 75-150mm on a small plastic camera for which it wasn't designed. The smaller lenses will present no problems, but has anyone had problems or concerns with bigger lenses on the G1?

Thanks.

simonclivehughes

Mark,

On the dvxuser.com site, where there's a few forums on the GH1, there was a report by one member who had a heavy lens wreck the mount on a GH1. I think careful handling will go a long way and proper support on a tripod, such as taking advantage of lens (tripod) mounts for the bigger lenses will also help. You'd also might be wise to transport them separately, or in a lens down position.

Your concern, however, is not yours alone. I use my Nikon 85mm f1.4 lens on my G1s and GH1 and I sure wouldn't want to bounce it around much.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Cheers,

mrtoml

Thanks, Simon. I will check that site. I might just stick to my shorter primes in that case.

RichA

Thanks, Simon. I will check that site. I might just stick to my shorter primes in that case.
Have to be logical about it. Most of the DSLRs and the G1/E-P1 are made of plastic today. They screw their bayonet mounts into plastic with tiny screws. No way would I ever mount a lens heavier than a 200mm f4 (old metal lens) on one and let the camera do the supporting. This of course makes these cameras unsuited for strap carry with lenses other than the light plastic kit lenses they come with or lenses of very moderate weight. If the mount does get dislodged, that will mean a repair or replacement cost that the user will bear.

somewhere there's a spec from panasonic that claims lenses up to 1 kg is okay.

found a reference to it at getdpi:
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=85724&postcount=122
I have used a few heavy lenses, but always taking great precautions, sustaining the lens AND the camera, not carrying around the camera with a heavy lens attached, but separately, not bouncing the assembly arond. A telephoto lens support, such as the Manfrotto might also help.

9.8mm/1.8 Kinoptik Tegea on the G1. This lens weighs 1.4 Kgs

Cheers
Peter

Last edited:

mrtoml

Thanks, everyone. I think I will only mount my lighter primes on it (28E, 35 f2, 50 f1.8) and leave the rest at home. I also have the 55 micro and an 85, but I think these can stay off.

pellicle

Hi

Thanks, everyone. I think I will only mount my lighter primes on it (28E, 35 f2, 50 f1.8) and leave the rest at home. I also have the 55 micro and an 85, but I think these can stay off.
I use this lens on my G1

it of course has a tripod mount on the lens.

I'm using FD 50 1.8 (and extension tubes up to 40mm) and Olympus 100mm f2.8 without problems when using the camera mounted on the tripod.

both of these rigs are compact

I think that the 'guide' is to look at the standard offerings and not exceed their potential leverage ... other wise mount on the adaptor?

I have suggested an adaptor based lens mount in the past but with little interest. My Ciecio7s adaptor is very suitable to making a rotating mount and mounting the adaptor on the tripod ... I'm sure the camera mount will have no trouble supporting the camera itself

slosync

Just for the fun of it....

Here's a picture of the G1 with a Sigma 50-500 mounted (Nikon Mount). As long as you utilize some sort of tripod lens mount, you should be find large lenses are ok. (I realize I'm stating the obvious). I occasionally try to shoot the moon with this set-up... Marginally successful on occasion.

Cheers,
Don

mrtoml

Thanks, guys. I just ordered the adapter.

If I'm going to lug a tripod around I think I would take my Mamiya 7 or something. I really bought the G1 as a light walk around camera, but it doesn't look as though it is a good idea to mount relatively big zooms and have it dangling about. At least the Nikon primes will give me a wider aperture than the kit lens and they don't weigh all that much (especially the 28E ;)

pellicle

If I'm going to lug a tripod around I think I would take my Mamiya 7 or something. I really bought the G1 as a light walk around camera
which in that case it hardly matters at all ... unless you 'granma grip' it and hold the body with left and right hands and nothing on the lens.

mrtoml

Yes. The 50mm is extremely small and light.

I'll try and take some shots with them this afternoon.

f6cvalkyrie

My Reflex-Nikkor 500/8 did arrive yesterday.
As long as you put the G1 on the heavy lens, and not the heavy lens on the G1 (if you understand what I mean :confused::LOL:), there should be no problem :angel:

C U,
Rafael