The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fabulous colors with E-P1...do you agree?

tom in mpls

I've been using Canon DSLR's for years now, and just this last week have been using something different, the E-P1 (as you all have noticed with my many posts here). One thing has really been awesome--the colors! I have been wrestling forever with my Canon shots to get good, accurate, "alive" colors. I don't seem to get what I want, even with post processing. I'm sure I could be more skilled in Photoshop, but I think the camera should make it easier than that. What I am seeing from in my shots and those others are posing is colors that are so rich and alive, without appearing overly saturated. Not having been following other cameras myself, is this something that has been obvious to others? I would bet it's not just the E-P1, either. At any rate, I am just loving this camera. Give it an optical viewfinder, cut down the shutter lag, and revise the interface...perfection. In the mean while, I'm enjoying it as is.

nostatic

Actually I am rather smitten by the noise. I find it to provide a very nice grain - at high iso I get good sharpness mixed with grit.

peterm1

I do like the colors from the E-P1, and sometimes the more vibrant colors in the pinhole art filter. If you want great colors with a DSLR (I use the Nikon D700), I strongly suggest checking out the Alien Skin Exposure 2 Photshop plugin, which emulates various film looks. Whenever I think I am happy with the shot in Lightroom, I bring it into Photoshop, apply an Exposure 2 film setting like Astia, and am really surprised by how much more vibrant, yet natural, the results are. It's really worth checking out a demo - IMHO it's the best plugin after Nik Silver Efx.

jonoslack

Yes
Olympus colours always seem effortless (like the A900 colours). I still think it's because they do less 'processing' with the raw file, and that the downside is less good high ISO and more grain (but it's hardly a hardship).

Glad you're enjoying it.