The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 and Pen F lenses

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I've just received my E-P1 and it seems as good as I thought it might be.

However, I've just tried a the Pen F adapter from JF and it doesn't mount the E-P1, although I have filed it to fit my G1.

This is just a tolerance issue, and I will get another mount from JF and make it work with the EP-1.

Of course the Panny 4/3 to m4/3 adapter works just fine.

Only an hour since I received the camera, but I know a few folks are interested if this adapter works with the EP-1. The answer is maybe!

Keith

pellicle

Hi

I once got a mount from another supplier with the same problem. I think its due to the slight raised section which ensures that the mount doesn't wobble around on the camera being just that wee bit snug.

mod2001

I've just received my E-P1 and it seems as good as I thought it might be.

However, I've just tried a the Pen F adapter from JF and it doesn't mount the E-P1, although I have filed it to fit my G1.

This is just a tolerance issue, and I will get another mount from JF and make it work with the EP-1.

Of course the Panny 4/3 to m4/3 adapter works just fine.

Only an hour since I received the camera, but I know a few folks are interested if this adapter works with the EP-1. The answer is maybe!

Keith
i contacted Jin yesterday (have the same probs, can work with it but the lens is not fully mounted), he said 1st batch of his adapter fits a bit tight on E-P1, he will send me a new 1 if i want, or you try this:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/wenonah_gown/penFG1adapterflange.jpg

Yogi

V

Vivek

I am curious to find out how you folks will successfully use the pen F lenses, especially the fast ones like the 42/1.2 on the E-P1. :confused:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I am curious to find out how you folks will successfully use the pen F lenses, especially the fast ones like the 42/1.2 on the E-P1. :confused:
Hi Vivek:

I've had my E-P1 for a few hours, but this I can say.

You would love it as a street camera. I bought the 17mm lens and OVF - this is as good as a Leica could get in the streets!

Having said that, I have a mix of feelings, positive and negative.

Keith

V

Vivek

Hi Keith, I have fondled it and sure is a delight to hold. Not for real shooting, for me, I am afraid.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I've done a bit more filing on my JF adapter and it now fits the EP-1, and it still fits the G1, so there is some latitude. But, I don't want to go through this experience with every adapter, so JF owes me one:clap:

The combination feels very good and very similar to the Leica experience.

I did some tests with the Pen FT 38mm/1,8 on both the G1 and the EP-1. I find it difficult to do critical focus with the EP-1 hand held. I will try harder, but this is the first result (an Echinacia at 100% crop) using the G1, which I find to be very good. Taken at F5.6,1/160s,ISO 100
Can't do this with the EP-1 yet, need more practice.

Keith

V

Vivek

Keith, I find it odd that almost everyone is showing off a pen F lens attached to a camera without any hood. I would not use any of them without one.:)

Not surprising to hear that you find them difficult on the E-P.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Keith, I find it odd that almost everyone is showing off a pen F lens attached to a camera without any hood. I would not use any of them without one.:)

Hi Vivek
I have four Pen lenses, but only two have hoods, the 150mm and 70mm. I'll see what I can find on e-bay.

The interesting thing is that in limited use of the 38mm on both the EP-1 and G1, the sharpest shots have been with the G1 (no stabilization)

I haven't tried the EP-1 with stabilization off, or with the lens FL dialed in. I have to try that next.

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Vivek - here is a Pen FT (150mm) lens with a hood.

I find this lens be exceptional in sharpness - so sharp, my wife won't let me post a facial shot :salute:

Keith

RichA

I've done a bit more filing on my JF adapter and it now fits the EP-1, and it still fits the G1, so there is some latitude. But, I don't want to go through this experience with every adapter, so JF owes me one:clap:

The combination feels very good and very similar to the Leica experience.

I did some tests with the Pen FT 38mm/1,8 on both the G1 and the EP-1. I find it difficult to do critical focus with the EP-1 hand held. I will try harder, but this is the first result (an Echinacia at 100% crop) using the G1, which I find to be very good. Taken at F5.6,1/160s,ISO 100
Can't do this with the EP-1 yet, need more practice.

Keith
The E-P1 is not the camera you want for this kind of thing, the G1 is far better suited because of the EVF. When the E-P1 successor/newer model hits with a viewfinder, IMO most E-P1 buyers will dump their old cameras to get it.