The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

kodak cine ektars with c-mount adapter ring

gmoe

Hi folks,

Anyone using Kodak cine ektars with the c-mount adapter ring? Just wondering if there's a difference or advantage in image quality or image size to the sensor versus the ektar cine lenses that already have a c-mount built in them.

Thanks in advance!

Photomorgana

I never did any tests, but from using different Ektars and Anastigmats I cant tell the different between native c and kodak type c adapter.

D

dwright

I have used a Kodak Anastigmat 15mm/f2.7 with my Panasonic G1. This uncoated "Made in USA by Eastman Kodak, Rochester N.Y." lens probably dates from about 1950. I find it useful as it is ergonomically very well designed - easy to focus and change aperture when mounted. It focuses down to 7inches and is good for close-ups.

Like most C mount wide angle lenses it does not cover the G1 sensor but you can get round this by using the EZ feature which yields a 2048x1536 image. For US$18.99 on EBay I'm well satisfied with this American Veteran.

gmoe

Thanks guys.

Those pics are great dwright! And you can't beat it for the price!

I also noticed there are Ektar II's versus just regular Ektar's. I picked up an Ektar II 25mm 1.4 c-mount which is tiny compared to the regular Kodak ektar 25mm lens. I'm hoping that the tiny factor doesn't mean it won't cover most of the sensor.

Has anyone tried the Ektar 25mm to 15mm converter lens on their Ektar 25mm lens? Just curious if you can get a wide lens that way with decent results.

Thanks again!

R

Ranger 9

This uncoated "Made in USA by Eastman Kodak, Rochester N.Y." lens probably dates from about 1950.
If it really is uncoated, I'd guess it's considerably earlier than 1950 -- most likely pre-World War II era. Kodak was one of the civilian pioneers of lens coating, and began offering coated lenses in December 1938 (although these were "soft-coated on interior surfaces only" -- not on exterior surfaces as the coating would be subject to wear -- so might look uncoated on external inspection.)

By the late 1940s they had a hard coating suitable for use on exterior surfaces, and I think they were coating almost everything -- I remember that even the doublet lens on my grandmother's Brownie Hawkeye was coated.

Kodak's trade name for its lens coating process was "Lumenized," and lenses from the immediate post-WWII era that were coated usually were marked with a small L-in-a-circle trademark on the name ring; you might look and see if there's one of those on your Anastigmat.

The Kodak Cine-Special I -- a pretty darn serious 16mm camera with interchangeable lenses and just about every other professional feature of that era -- first appeared in 1933, so it's plausible that your lens could be as early as that. If so, it's in really nice shape for a septaugenarian optic!

gmoe

Just wanted to check again and see if there was anyone other than apicius9 who has used the 25mm to 15mm Ektar converter and if you have used it on an Ektar II 25mm 1.4 rather than the older Ektar 25mm 1.4. From my research it sounds like so far this converter only works with the older Ektar 25mm 1.4 lens but wanted to see if anyone else has tried it with the Ektar II version and was successful.

D

dwright

Kodak's trade name for its lens coating process was "Lumenized," and lenses from the immediate post-WWII era that were coated usually were marked with a small L-in-a-circle trademark on the name ring; you might look and see if there's one of those on your Anastigmat.

I can't see this indicator on the lens so I guess it is even older than I thought. I checked the US patent number on the mount and this dates back to 1922.

The lens barrel that fits into the C mount adapter part has a diameter of 24mm and has one lug that can mate with either of two grooves on the adapter. The rear element is pretty small - I would guess 5mm.

I recently looked at a Kodak Magazine Cine-Kodak in a local shop http://www.marriottworld.com/stock_pics/cinecampics/cinekodak15970.htm with a view to possibly using the 25 mm. f/1.9 Kodak Anastigmat and 3 inch f/4.5 Cine-Kodak Telephoto lenses with my G1. Unfortunately their barrels were too large to fit the C mount adapter.

As a matter of interest I found an old National Geographic of August 1938 with a Kodak Ad which priced the Magazine Cine-Kodak with "fast" f1.9 lens at US$130 with carrying case. As a comparison the same issue had the Rolleicord II with Zeiss Triotar f3.5 at US$65. 1938 Dollars had, of course, much more buying power than 2009 Dollars.

I've tried Googling "Kodak Lens Mounts" but can't find very much in the way of information.

gmoe

Hey dwright

I recently looked at a Kodak Magazine Cine-Kodak in a local shop http://www.marriottworld.com/stock_p...kodak15970.htm with a view to possibly using the 25 mm. f/1.9 Kodak Anastigmat and 3 inch f/4.5 Cine-Kodak Telephoto lenses with my G1. Unfortunately their barrels were too large to fit the C mount adapter.
Hmm.. you were thinking the same thing I was thinking of doing. Shoot! That's too bad..

I picked up the newer version -- the Kodak Magazine Cine-Kodak-- it has an Ektar 25mm/1.9 the guy said it was in c-mount-- I'm hoping the barrel won't be too large to fit the c-mount adapter-- did you check on this lens too on the newer Magazine Cine-Kodak?

Last edited:
D

dwright

I now suspect the Magazine Cine-Kodak I looked at was using lenses in Kodak S mount (no details on size of this) via an Ektar M adapter.

This is a deduction formed from looking recently at some Kodak lenses advertised at http://www.jimscamerasseattle.com/smomole.html where it says

1- Type S mount movie lenses fit directly on the
16mm Cine-Kodak Special II camera.

2- With a P adapter S lenses will fit the
16mm Cine-Kodak Special Camera.

3- With a M adapter S lenses will fit the
Cine-Kodak Magazine 8 and 16 Cameras.

4- With a C adapter S lenses will fit
any C mount 16mm Movie Camera.

I may have another look at the camera, if not sold, to check this theory.

I don't know if the cine S mount is the same as that used on the Retina but if they are it would imply that some Retina lenses can be used on Micro 4/3 using the Kodak C adapter.

Last edited:

gmoe

dwright, I think you may be right :)

Or at least I'm hoping you are right. I got an s-mount to c-mount adapter and will get my Magazine Cine Kodak next week. So I'm crossing my fingers...

Otherwise, if it doesn't work Oh, well... That's the risk of being an early adopter using these c-mount lenses is a crap shoot-- sometimes you win some and sometimes you lose a little money and chalk it up to experience.

By the way, Jim at Jims Cameras is a great guy. Sold me an Angenieux just a couple days ago. I didn't want to battle it out on ebay and thought it'd be nice to support a good local small camera shop. He says he's selling his cine c-mount lenses like hot cakes and he couldn't figure out why. He still has a good selection of stuff. Get them while you can!