The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Confirmed issue with Summicron 50 DR on DMC-G1

Just thought I'd share this info - I have a G1 and Cameraquest adapter for Leica M lenses. I love it, and use it regularly with a CV 28/2.0, CV 25/4, CV 35/2.5, and Summarit 50.

Today, I picked up an absolutely lovely Summicron 50/2 DR (dual range). It interferes with the adapter, and won't focus beyond about 6 feet. Steve Gandy of Cameraquest confirmed that there's a compatibility issue with the DR version, while all other Summicrons work fine. BTW - Steve answered my question immediately, and was helpful as always.

This is a bummer for me. But, I can either limit myself to using the DR on my film body, or hopefully trade it for a rigid version.

Anyway, thought I'd like to save anyone else the same disappointment.

Reed

monza

Hmm...is this the Rayqual-manufactured Cameraquest adapter? I've never heard of any issue with the DR...

wjlapier

Hmm...is this the Rayqual-manufactured Cameraquest adapter? I've never heard of any issue with the DR...
My DR 'cron works just fine with CQ's adapter. Just checked again and can focus at infinity.

What exactly is the problem you're having with the adapter?

Really? That's very interesting. The cam that couples to the rangefinder on the film bodies is longer on the DR (to allow focusing at close distance). When you go to infinity with mine, the rear of the focusing cam hits the interior of the CV adapter.

This part hits the inside of the CV adapter (black anodized inner ring).

I'd love to solve this one...

Anyone else using a DR with the adapter?

Reed

Last edited:

monza

Looks like Voigt has a physical compatibility issue that the Rayqual doesn't. Rayqual has consistently avoided any incompatibilities that have bit all the other makers...

wjlapier

Really? That's very interesting. The cam that couples to the rangefinder on the film bodies is longer on the DR (to allow focusing at close distance). When you go to infinity with mine, the rear of the focusing cam hits the interior of the CV adapter.

I'd love to solve this one...

Reed
Probably will have to purchase a CQ version I'm afraid.

Where does Stephen confirm the adapter issue with the DR Cron?

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
The DR Summicron works with the Rayqual adapter - see the image below.

I've also include an image shot with the DR on the G1 and a crop. They show that the DR is alive and well, that it has excellent center sharpness and decent resistance to veiling flare. It's waiting patiently for a full frame M9. But if you look at the crop, the red headdress is the focus point; the yellow decanter behind it is almost in focus, but the white lamp at the edge of the frame, which is midway between the headdress and the decanter, looks really funky. This is the "smearing" quality with third party lenses that has been widely discussed.

View attachment 20166

View attachment 20167

View attachment 20168

henningw

The Panasonic M adapter works fine with the Summicron DR, and it is all in all the best adapter I've seen with respect to design as well as fit and finish.

Henning

monza

I haven't seen the Panasonic. The Rayqual is tops of the adapters I've seen, the fit and finish is easily as good as any major OEM. I wonder if the Panasonic is in fact the Rayqual...

henningw

I haven't seen the Panasonic. The Rayqual is tops of the adapters I've seen, the fit and finish is easily as good as any major OEM. I wonder if the Panasonic is in fact the Rayqual...
They're not the same. The Rayqual adapters are indeed nice, but the machining on the Panasonics is a bit better. The M mount part looks like a Leica bit.

Henning

To answer the previous question, Mr. Gandy responded by email regarding the incompatibility.

Reed

Last edited: