The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ep1 in depth review just posted

andrewteee

I had planned on buying the EP1 anyway and did not wait for any reviews. Those I read now mainly confirm my experience. I believe one has to try the EP1 to actually grok it. I think it's a super fantastic camera and through real user feedback I've been able to get the most out of it.

Soon after the EP1 I went the other direction and bought a Mamiya 7ii medium format film camera too. I should have all my bases covered now : )

Robert Campbell

Robt.,
You won't like the camera. Afterall, it feels like a part of your vision and anatomy when you use it....It's got beautiful design and the quality just oozzeesseess from the essence of the camera....who needs that kinda stuff...
It also makes great images and with great IQ...who cares...

So what if it has interchangable lenses....who cares.....

Robt....forget it....

PS,... when ya get it...I'd love to see some images....
Don
And you are in league with Jono :D

O

OzRay

The real thing about the review is that it clearly demonstrates that this camera has excellent picture taking capabilities. The 'Cons' are really inconsequential, in the main, as they are just design factors that don't hinder the picture taking experience, if you're prepared to change your habits. And why mention slow focus twice?

Cheers

Ray

jonoslack

Jono....more grovelling!!!.... do you have a source for kevlar kneepads ? :)

plus I am worried what size of flies you have that can hide film :)

no panic .. do what you can do when you can

K

ps hugs from cam
I buy all my kneepads from bee berman (fogg bags), so there is no kevlar in sight.

It isn't the size of flies, it's the number - we have some kind of a plague - I counted 50 in less than 10 cm on the kitchen ceiling . . . it's very horrid, and we're having to eat in the garden . . even if it's raining (which, of course, it is!).

Hugs back to cam . . . . . you are a lucky man (possibly even as lucky as me, and that's VERY lucky!).

nostatic

ok I didn't read the whole thing and wish to register a complaint:

the batter door sucks. I mean seriously sucks. I predict it will be the first thing to break on the camera.

Back to hugs and kisses :p

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
ok I didn't read the whole thing and wish to register a complaint:

the batter door sucks. I mean seriously sucks. I predict it will be the first thing to break on the camera.

Back to hugs and kisses :p
Actually..what happens is this...

After you get the camera...on the eve of the 2nd night...the camera transforms in to a Leica M9...but no one talks about it....so the battery door is a null issue...

nostatic

Actually..what happens is this...

After you get the camera...on the eve of the 2nd night...the camera transforms in to a Leica M9...but no one talks about it....so the battery door is a null issue...
So then I have to buy IR filters and then get to claim that my files look better than those coming from MF digital back? :D

JMaher

Juno made me do it

I'll confess - Jono didn't really make me buy the Pen but his ideas on shooting did make me look at how I am using it. However, his early posts on the Pen and some of his even earlier posts with the E-3 did help convince me to give 4/3's a try.

I think it's worth blaming him a least a little.

Jono - thanks for the insights.

Jim

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

I had planned on buying the EP1 anyway and did not wait for any reviews. Those I read now mainly confirm my experience. I believe one has to try the EP1 to actually grok it. I think it's a super fantastic camera and through real user feedback I've been able to get the most out of it.

Soon after the EP1 I went the other direction and bought a Mamiya 7ii medium format film camera too. I should have all my bases covered now : )
Good decision. When it comes to making good photographs, there are few cameras at any price, format, or means of capture that can compete with the M7II. But it's not for everyone.

As for the EP-1, I recently got one. So far I have been very impressed. I had long wanted a compact camera with good results, and I was never really persuaded by the Ricohs, Canon G10 or Sigma DP cameras. The EP-1 is not much larger than these cameras, but in my eyes it obliterates them in terms of image quality and flexibility. For me at least, I often want a compact camera to bring along to parties, concerts, or just my daily life. Often these places are dark or require higher ISO's. The EP-1 is a HUGE improvement over the Gx-100, which I was using before. It does not have the image quality of the D3 or M8 (well, it beats the M8 over ISO 640), but it does not have to. I think we finally got something to fill the role filled by cameras like the Leica CL, Contax G1. It is not quite there in file quality compared to the full sized top of the line DSLR's, but it is close enough to make a more than adequate substitute when size and weight are more of a consideration than carrying a full kit.

But I do disagree about 4/3rds being a true substitute for full frame systems as expressed by ravduc. The inherent difference in depth of field and lens design means that for me at least, I am not able to achieve many of the types of photos I like most. There is no way to achieve something like what you can get with a 35mm f/1.4 on full frame -- a wide angle of view with narrow depth of field. Simply using a longer lens or moving closer is not a solution. Even 35mm is a stretch at times....6x6 or 6x7 gives me the best depth of field characteristics...give me a 50mm f/2.8 or 110/2 any day...

Edit: sorry for my miserable writing...it's 1am and I am just trying to get the ideas out...

arashm

Even the best reviewers are not as good as
a users post...I follow threads from users and
make my decision from the real info.
Which is why I have a DP-1 coming my way in the mail... :thumbup:
I squarely blame it on certain members of this forum :eek:
thanks guys
am

Terry

I think the review was very fair and balanced. They did ding it for AF and they did say the menu system while ultra configurable was a challenge to use. I'm just excited that the format has a lot of people looking and trying it. That can only be good for the future and the desire for Oly and Panny to create more models.

O

OzRay

And lenses. I *really* want something like a light weight 50mm prime (100mm equivalent).
Personally, I'm not so sure about 'light weight'. I'm currently using a Nokton 50mm f1.1 and it feels perfectly balanced with the Pen, much more so than the standard zoom. Even the 28mm f2, being a lot lighter but heavier than the standard zoom, feels better. That little bit of extra 'heft' just balances things so much better.

Cheers

Ray

P

PeterLeyssens

Hi,

First of all, I am also very impressed by the DPReview review. It's clear that they appreciate the fact that Olympus has gone all-out to try and change the market. They see the weak points and point them out, but they put it well into perspective when they say that this is basically an E-30 in a pocketable package with an incredible amount of design innovation added to it.

I wonder about the target market . . .I wonder if Olympus knew who it was as well.
I wonder too. After all, they can start with a vision (get great quality in a tiny package, like the original PEN and OM series), but this is 2009, not 1959. There's a lot that has changed, and one of the key points is the LCD vs VF discussion. Olympus has taken a couple of very tough decisions, but I doubt they could've guessed what the impact would be. All they could do, was try their best at making a camera consistent with their vision. The fact that Canon, Nikon and Leica users are taking notice, I think, is way beyond their expectations. Also, they could not have anticipated that the E-P1 seems to be becoming an instant cult classic with manual focus users.

Referring to a few other posts about the E-P1 and changing one's ways of approaching to photography: I'm looking forward to it, but there doesn't seem to be a single shop in Belgium where I can try the camera out before I buy it. Reading this forum, I sure get the impression that it's what I have been waiting for in a digital camera, so I already bought myself 3 convertor rings and a C mount lens in anticipation. :wtf::angry: Let's hope I like the camera, then, I'd feel like a complete fool otherwise :ROTFL:

Luckily, there's always Jono to blame. Be certain that my wife will get to know your name when she finds the packages on the doorstep ! :D

Peter.

pellicle

Hi

Also, they could not have anticipated that the E-P1 seems to be becoming an instant cult classic with manual focus users.
well, perhaps they could have ... I have a friend who worked in r&d for Hitachi in home stereo stuff in the late 80's He said that their philosophy was never be #1 with release on a product. You might miss the wave but you definitely miss costs in being bleeding edge.

Given that Panasonic had that edge I think it has paved a lot of the cult interest in the adapted lenses. I notice that Olympus has released a OM -> micro4/3rds adaptor straight away and I think that its interesting just how close it really is to the original concept

jonoslack

But I do disagree about 4/3rds being a true substitute for full frame systems as expressed by ravduc. The inherent difference in depth of field and lens design means that for me at least, I am not able to achieve many of the types of photos I like most. There is no way to achieve something like what you can get with a 35mm f/1.4 on full frame -- a wide angle of view with narrow depth of field. Simply using a longer lens or moving closer is not a solution. Even 35mm is a stretch at times....6x6 or 6x7 gives me the best depth of field characteristics...give me a 50mm f/2.8 or 110/2 any day...
I quite agree - I use the A900 for that. However, the extra depth of field on 4/3 (and m4/3 of course) is great sometimes - macro comes to mind, but there are lots of circumstances when more is better.

I've long since given up the idea of only having one camera system, it just don't work. But I'm right with you with the E-P1, finally there is something small which is actually good as well!

Edit: sorry for my miserable writing...it's 1am and I am just trying to get the ideas out...
Been out boozing with Terry?

jonoslack

Luckily, there's always Jono to blame. Be certain that my wife will get to know your name when she finds the packages on the doorstep ! :D

Peter.
Hey you guys - what's all this with 'telling your wives'. I can handle you guys no problem, but not the girls!

Lucky I'm just a cyberperson and don't really exist . . . . met me?
I rest my case
:ROTFL:

p.s. my real name is Guy Mancuso :D

Terry

Hey you guys - what's all this with 'telling your wives'. I can handle you guys no problem, but not the girls!

Lucky I'm just a cyberperson and don't really exist . . . . met me?
I rest my case
:ROTFL:

p.s. my real name is Guy Mancuso :D
Hey, I don't ask my wife! :D I would just have to look in the mirror and ask myself! :D