The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ep1 in depth review just posted

R

ravduc

I must have been misunderstood. I never intended to compare four thirds with full frame but rather with with the APS-C format. Many have been claiming for years that the APS-C format is far superior. IMO this is just a myth. Most of the people claiming this have never even used a four thirds camera.

Marc

Stuart Richardson

Ok Marc. I understand now. I guess the real catch is that every sensor size brings with it its own advantages and disadvantages. Assuming equal technology, the larger the sensor the better the resolution, noise performance, dynamic range and so on. But increasing sensor size has big disadvantages too -- more power consumption, larger camera bodies, bigger heavier lenses to cover the larger sensor area, slower data streams (assuming it is higher resolution), more difficulty storing images and so on.

For what it's worth, we had the EXACT same issue with film, and the fact that we are now getting there with digital is a testament to digital's maturity. You have to pick your poison -- do you want compact with good results but difficulty doing certain things (shallow depth of field, large optical VF's etc), kind of bulky and heavy with very good results and the best flexibility, or absolute best quality with quite big and heavy camera systems, less flexibility, extreme prices and complicated workflows? That is the 4/3rds, full frame/ MFD market choices for the moment anyway.

Diane B

I've long since given up the idea of only having one camera system, it just don't work.
Its been mentioned to me that I should sell off my 5D (and other Canon bodies) and lenses since they haven't been used much recently. I admit I've thought about it, but I just don't think that's really something I can do. I still love shooting some things--and the results--with the 5D. I can probably, in the end, sell off a few lenses, but not my fast primes, not my 12-24 or TS, not my FE--ah well LOL.

I admit I shoot more with the G1 than the 5D these days, but I think the 5D will stick around for a good while. They each have their place.

Diane

hlwms

Let me ask this question it may have been asked before. Will nikon lens be able to autofocus with the adapter on the EP1?
Will they meter correctly?

Harold

Last edited:

Diane B

Harold, I'm a Canon shooter, but think this applies. I believe all the adaptors, except the Oly/Panny adaptors, don't have electrical contacts (I reserve right to be corrected LOL). That means that all lenses are MF only on both G1/GH1 and E-P1. I do occasionally use EF mounts (current Canon mount with no aperture settings on lens--body only) wide open (or reset on EOS body) and they meter correctly--as do my old Canon FDs and Konica Hexanon, so I'm assuming all the legacy lenses meter correctly on all m4/3rds bodies.

Diane
c