The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus 17/2.8

nostatic

I find AF with the 17/2.8 on the EP1 to be great. Seriously great. Today I was shooting in very low light indoors and it never faltered. I was shooting back to back with EP1 and K20d (switching between 15/4 and 43/1.9 lenses) and while the EP1 shots were noisier (iso 1600) they were crisp and in-focus.

V

Vivek

Auto focus sucks. I do not use it unless the subject is static.

Like Olympus said, there is no other prime lens for the m4/3rds like this. ;)

kweide

Auto focus sucks. I do not use it unless the subject is static.

Like Olympus said, there is no other prime lens for the m4/3rds like this. ;)
Its easy to work around:
Sens LENS RESET to NO
switch to MF
Prefocus to whatever distance you need and start shooting blazing fast
The distance seeting is not deleted when E-P1 goes off !

V

Vivek

"blazing and fast" :ROTFL: Very enthusiastic characterizations.

Seriously, where is the lens "reset" possibility in G1 (I only have v1.2 firmware)?

Even when in manual focus mode, the lens resets the distance when the camera goes to sleep after a few seconds. It needs constant refocusing, all the time, draining power in that process.

V

Vivek

I will see if the latest firmware (v1.3) would cure this menace.

Although I was not too keen on the Panasonic's purported 20/1.7, after the 17/2.8 Olympus lens, I have become more interested in it. I am sure Panasonic will do a better job.

The lens (CAUTION! May break the flimsy lens!) works reasonably well with my wide converters. Here is a shot with a 0.75x converter. This isn't the distance (infinity) I would use this combo. So, the corner mush would not be too bothersome.

f/7.1, on G1

slosync

Well I finally received my 17/2.8 from Amazon.... I was suprised because I got it for their originally advertised price of $229 shipping included. :clap:

A few pictures follows:

Looks good on the G1 - this is the none marking pen version. :p

Most of you know the 17/2.8 has a the capability for close-up work.:D Note: This picture was taken with G1 45-200mm with a hoya +4 close-up just to show the 17/2.8 lens info.

G1, 17/2.8, 1/5sec, f/5.6, ISO400, on monopod (Just can't hold em still enought at that shutter speed without help)

G1, 17/2.8, 1/8sec, f/5.6, ISO400, on monopod.

G1, 17/2.8, 1/25sec, f/5.6, ISO800, some noise reduction, on monopod.

Cheers,
Don

V

Vivek

The prices of this lens are all over the place. $229 sounds fair, Don. :)

A couple of shots using the AF under suitable conditions.

Diane B

Rafa, I paid the recommended USD $299. I bought it in a bricks and mortar store where I tried out the Pen---and also probably paid regular recommended price because it had just come out to buy separately.

I'm glad others are enjoying the lens also. I've found the AF quite good in most all situations with the G1.

Diane

slosync

Hi Rafa,

Back around June 18th Amazon listed the 17/2.8 for $229.99 with free shipping. They only had it listed for that price a few days. Seems that they mistakenly posted the incorrect price, but they honored my order. I don't know if they honored all that ordered the lens at that price. Here's a partial listing from my order: :D

Shipping Method: FREE Super Saver Shipping
Shipping Preference: Group my items into as few shipments as possible
Subtotal of Items: $229.99
Shipping & Handling: $9.12
Super Saver Discount: -$9.12
------
Total for this Order: $229.99

Delivery estimate: We'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item. It will ship separately. You can cancel at any time. 1 "Olympus 17mm f/2.8mm Lens"
Electronics; $229.99

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

Cheers,
Don

Rawfa

Thanks, Don. I thought that was going to be a price drop or something (which would be very weird considering the lens has just been released).

Rawfa

Vivek, nice shots of Plaza Catalunya and Portal del Angel. If you moved the camera to your to your left you would eventually see where I work ;-)

V

Vivek

I have snaps in that direction as well, Rafa. Will try to give you a call today.

BTW those 2 shots were using the Ricoh GW-1 (0.75X converter) on the 17/2.8. This (GW-1) makes the Oly a better lens (sharper, less CA, etc) in addition to making it wider (12.75mm).

Rawfa

That's a good idea (you wnd up with a 25.5mm!) but it probably turns the 17mm pancake into a very bulky "cake".

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I have snaps in that direction as well, Rafa. Will try to give you a call today.

BTW those 2 shots were using the Ricoh GW-1 (0.75X converter) on the 17/2.8. This (GW-1) makes the Oly a better lens (sharper, less CA, etc) in addition to making it wider (12.75mm).
Vivek, does the Ricoh converter fit without adapters?

Keith

C

cabo

Keith,

I just tried the Ricoh converter on my 17/2.8. The diameter of the thread fits, but its slope (I hope this is the correct term) is different, so you only screw it in for half a turn or so and will probably ruin the threads in the long run.

Carsten