The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus 17/2.8

V

Vivek

Keith, Although it should be a direct fit (37mm threads), it does not. It needs an "extension ring". This is simply a 37mm filter without any glass in it. Works fabulously this way. So far, it seems to be holding up and even AF works fine (as good as the AF is).

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Its easy to work around:
Sens LENS RESET to NO
switch to MF
Prefocus to whatever distance you need and start shooting blazing fast
The distance seeting is not deleted when E-P1 goes off !
What I have found is this...very similar but less steps and faster....

Lens Reset......no
Fn button to Screen off
Focus at AEL button....
17mm with Finder....

I focus the camera at a predetermined distance with the AEL button....the camera will stay there.....

I hit the Fn button to turn off the screen, (conserves power also)

The camera is now ready to work very fast and responsive....I also have the camera set to not Sleep...

If I need AF, I just hit the AEL button and it's right there in 1 step....
If I need screen info, I hit the Fn button and shes back on...

The camera will stay at the focused distance until you refocus with the AEL button...even days later....

Remember, we're on the 17mm thread. This will work with the zoomie but if you zoom, you have to refocus...the lens has focus shift...

I'm lovin the 17 w/finder....as fast as you hit the release...it's there.....and the battery last a long time....

We doin need no dang MF around here......
shooter

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Keith, Although it should be a direct fit (37mm threads), it does not. It needs an "extension ring". This is simply a 37mm filter without any glass in it. Works fabulously this way. So far, it seems to be holding up and even AF works fine (as good as the AF is).
Thanks Vivek and Carsten - I'm going to give it a try :salute:

Keith

V

Vivek

The GW-1 has become a permanent fixture on this lens, a couple of shots (12.75mm), pretty much straight out of the cam.

E

elf

Nope - my understanding is that it rotates forever, no end stop at infinity: so there's no constant place to make the marks.
Once you've rotated the focus ring past infinity (or the close focus distance) you're at a known focus point. Keep rotating the ring in the same direction until you have the previously marked hyperfocal scale infinity position lined up with some registration mark. Now you can set the focus distance fairly accurately. Try it with the hyperfocal scale printed on a piece of paper taped to the lens. :bugeyes:

Brian Mosley

Once you've rotated the focus ring past infinity (or the close focus distance) you're at a known focus point. Keep rotating the ring in the same direction until you have the previously marked hyperfocal scale infinity position lined up with some registration mark. Now you can set the focus distance fairly accurately. Try it with the hyperfocal scale printed on a piece of paper taped to the lens. :bugeyes:
Sounds like a great practical workaround... I'll give it a go, but doesn't the change in focus distance relate to the speed at which you rotate the fly-by-wire focus ring? in other words, rotate quickly and the change in focus will be greater over the same rotation than if you'd rotated slowly?

That's just the theory though, it will be easy to check.

Thanks for the great suggestion :thumbup:

Kind Regards

Brian

retow

What I have found is this...very similar but less steps and faster....

Lens Reset......no
Fn button to Screen off
Focus at AEL button....
17mm with Finder....

I focus the camera at a predetermined distance with the AEL button....the camera will stay there.....

I hit the Fn button to turn off the screen, (conserves power also)

The camera is now ready to work very fast and responsive....I also have the camera set to not Sleep...

If I need AF, I just hit the AEL button and it's right there in 1 step....
If I need screen info, I hit the Fn button and shes back on...

The camera will stay at the focused distance until you refocus with the AEL button...even days later....

Remember, we're on the 17mm thread. This will work with the zoomie but if you zoom, you have to refocus...the lens has focus shift...

I'm lovin the 17 w/finder....as fast as you hit the release...it's there.....and the battery last a long time....

We doin need no dang MF around here......
shooter
Great tip, thank you. Works like a superior Ricoh GRDIII snap mode, because of the AF distance being freely adjustable.

E

elf

Sounds like a great practical workaround... I'll give it a go, but doesn't the change in focus distance relate to the speed at which you rotate the fly-by-wire focus ring? in other words, rotate quickly and the change in focus will be greater over the same rotation than if you'd rotated slowly?

Kind Regards

Brian
You're right. It would take a bit of practice to be able to reliably focus on a particular spot. For a wide angle lens, I think it's doable because of the wide DOF. A telephoto would probably be harder to do.

M5-Guy

Kind Regards

Brian
Any testing results using this method to use Hyper-Focal scales taped to the lens barrel?
I'm guessing, that if you put it on Manual Focus and f/16, and focus at INF, the DOF will be like 4' to INF anyway. (over 50' away), at f/11 it will be 5' to INF focused at 50' or beyond.. used the DOF website for calculations.
Really. at f/16 as long as you focus on anything over 20' away or greater. you will have around 3.5 to INF in focus.

A cheat sheet for f/8, f/11 and f/16 may be a more useful tool.

EXAMPLE for f/8 for non INF type street use: focus at a known point at "2m" or 6', you will have 3.5' to 24' in focus.. Perfect for the street.
So, on the cheat scale.... f/8, @2m (6'), 3.5'-24'

I read this thread in advance of getting a 17mm for my G1. (Just delivered today w/o lens). Just looking at how others have used in MF mode.

BTW, I have it Back-Order from Adorama for $230.00 free ship a year after this thread started. the $50.00 instant rebate was in effect in June 2010 when I put my order in.

Lili

I adore this lens, it pretty much stays on my E-PL1 full-time

Love the draw of this sensor and lens....

Last edited:

biglouis

Does anyone own this lens and the Panny 20/1.7? Is there much benefit to owning both? I only ask because a 35fov is pretty much my standard lens on any other camera but I am surprised at how well I've adapted to the 20/1.7. I'm just wondering if I really would use both...

V

Vivek

Louis, I own both of them.

The 17/2.8, after a few days, I attached a Ricoh 0.75X converter to it and it has not come off yet.

The 20/1.7, I am still not comfortable with that FL for street. I do use it for IR (street) just because it focuses faster in IR and also is a better lens in IR.

In short, both the lenses as such are not that great.

One advantage (a great advantage) of the 17/2.8 is its close focus distance. ~10cm.

I did post on this earlier (there is a thread somewhere), I guess no one has figured it out yet.

DISCLAIMER (YOUR OWN RISK!)

Put the cam on AF mode and pull the front of the lens (preferably with a hood attached to grip it), the focus barrel will extend further than it does and will get stuck at ~10cm close focus. To reset, turn the camera off and back on to resume normal functions.

The Pana 20/1.7 did this to a lesser extent in the beginning but after doing a F/W update, it will not do it now. :(

M5-Guy

+ 1 for this lens... great for street

Great BW tones... nice close up too on #1..
Are those the "in camera" BW? or did you convert in post?

Still waiting for an email from Adorama for the 17mm lens back-order status :(
Wish I had an adapter for my "M" lenses. :(
I have an lens less G1 just waiting for a lens....

M5-Guy

M5-Guy

I guess anyone can post images of Oly 17 f/2.8

So, I just got mine from PopFlashPhoto
A few to share
Really liking this lens! :thumbs:
Mostly at ISO between ISO 250-500
These are fully developed to my liking...not "Out of Camera"

16:9 (WB was set wrong for this image... Did the best I could with JPG... Although I will shoot raw from now on, since the work flow is no different from developing a JPG)

16:9 Self Portrait

16:9

16:9