The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 MF w/50 Lux TIPS PLEASE

durrIII

OK, I just got my VM Adapter from Stephen and I'm ready to try my 50 Lux on the E-P1. I would love some advise on E-P1 settings, MF tips, etc. before I venture out with this setup. Thanks for any advise or tips. -Durr

durrIII

Thanks for the help. I guess I will just wing it and see how it goes. I will post what I find. -Durr

kevinparis

it's the best way to learn.... the only MF tip i can offers is when it looks sharpest on the screen it will be in focus

:)

K

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
OK, I just got my VM Adapter from Stephen and I'm ready to try my 50 Lux on the E-P1. I would love some advise on E-P1 settings, MF tips, etc. before I venture out with this setup. Thanks for any advise or tips. -Durr

There is a lot of information on the site about settings for manual focus - do a search and you will find it

stevem8

I shot with the 50 Lux wide open on the EP1 and posted about it in my review of the EP1 (site in my sig) Anyway, I found if shooting wide open, you will want to use the MF assist for precise focus. With an Oly lens its automatic, but with a Leica lens you have to manually engage that mode, then manually disengage it. Kind of a pain but worth it if you want a perfect in focus shot. Otherwise, if you shoot at F2-2.8 you can use the screen as it is. Here is one of a squirrel I just took at 1.4 with the 50 and the PEN.

Best advice, just practice! Good luck!

kevinparis

oh maybe one tip for dur.... set the IS for the focal length of the lens you are using.

with manual focus lenses there is no communication between the body and the lens

K

Stuart Richardson

Set it to 50. I will note though, that the 50mm lenses seem to be a rather bit softer in the corners than they are on film or the M8 -- they still have a lovely look though. Basically, the longer the M lens, the better it does on the EP-1. 75mm and up is great.