The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

quick praise for the G1 and its exposure

pellicle

Hi

having been a film user for some decades I have been 'leery' of digital in its ability to do well on people portrait situations. I've been using (and writing about) digital cameras since about 2000 and I have owned quite a number of digital cameras (read: I'm not against the idea) since I started.

The G1 however is the first camera I've owned which has passed the print test where I just can't fault it and nothing gives it away as looking digital even with a JPG straight out of the camera.

At my god daughters christening a few weekends ago I took this image of the little girl:

and my wife took the media card out of the camera to the local department store and got some prints made for the grandparents (nothing big, about 5x7 size) and showed me them before posting them off.

Now I've done quite some testing and evaluation before I sold my 10D and other Canon gear but unexpectedly this print has really sold me on how well it really works. I just know that the print will do well at A4 size too.

So casting aside all my normal "criteria", for ordinary "mums and dads" I'm now sure that this little camera will do what anyone wants of it in terms of image quality.

I bet the E-P1 is just as good

JBurnett

Some of the "knocks" one consistently sees about 4/3 sensors is "easier to blow the highlights", "less dynamic range", and "less DR headroom". In practice, the G1 simply meters better than my Canon DSLR (admittedly, an old 300D), and with a live histogram in the viewfinder as a real-time guide, my exposures are consistently better right off the bat.

m3photo

Re: Practical G1

Some of the "knocks" one consistently sees about 4/3 sensors is "easier to blow the highlights", "less dynamic range", and "less DR headroom". In practice, the G1 simply meters better than my Canon DSLR (admittedly, an old 300D), and with a live histogram in the viewfinder as a real-time guide, my exposures are consistently better right off the bat.
Also it delivers the cleanest colour range of all the digital cameras I've had before.