The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New M43 GF1 - Possibly

pellicle

Hi

Why don't you just flip the screen on the G1 around and keep it open for her like on her p&s (if she doesn't like the articulating screen or the viewfinder)? Seems simple enough.
I see ... so you're trying to talk me out of getting more camera gear ;-)

Well, the reason is that I don't want to get it scratched. I don't have the camera in any sort of camera bag, so it is quite likely it will be rubbing up against something. I don't mind my camera looking buffed and worn but not the optical surfaces ... if the screen qualifies as that?

I could put a screen protector on it ... but then why not just flip it around?

;-)

anyway ... I don't genuinely think that's the only reason she prefers hers ... she doesn't want to have an "intimidating" camera. So I was thinking that an E-P1 would fit, then when this camera came up ... I'm delaying purchasing till I see this one in more details.

Also, I've had a gut-full of multiple batteries and chargers, so if the GF shares the battery / charger with the G1 then it'll be a point in its favour over the E-P1

C

CharlieH

I'm waiting for a new improved sensor... with better corner performance... and increase in native speed... anything more is just dreaming of putting lipstick on a pig...
True, also what we more worry about is that how will the new sensor change?
As we know, APS-C size sensor is already facing the bottle neck of the pixel increment to the physical limit of 15MP, so do the 4/3 sensor。Pushing to a higher level, said 20MP or 24MP should be too harsh to maintain the image quality.

Theoretically, 4/3 format has room to increase the sensor size from double to quadro (32 X 24mm... wow!), which reaches almost the same size of FF. But it also violates the lens compatibilities since the back flange distance should be change to fit in a bigger mirror. Then, a live view quadro size 48MP camera may achieve. Or even more crazy idea may come that a mirror-less M4/3 48MP camera in the future. But of course, quadro image processors may need to deal with such huge amount of data.
Just to throw out a vastly off topic, crazy prediction on the future of big sensors in small cameras with small lenses, my bet is that we will eventually have curved sensors. They can make flexible organic led screens now so it doesn't seem that far down the road to build photo sites on the inside of a spherical section. It seems, (I'm guessing really), that would vastly simplify lens design since the back focus would be the same distance to all points on the sensor instead of longer to the corners. Then it would seem to be trivial to map the curved image to a flat plane in processing.

After all, fish-eye lenses give curved images projected onto flat planes. Seems like a curved sensor would flatten them out automatically.

ch

m3photo

Re: Bluetooth

The bandwidth required for a video screen is far too high for bluetooth...
Thanks for the explanation, I didn't have a clue. Thick people like me just "invent" what they wish for without knowing the technical impediments - however, Ignorance is Bliss as they say. :)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hi

Well, the reason is that I don't want to get it scratched. I don't have the camera in any sort of camera bag, so it is quite likely it will be rubbing up against something. I don't mind my camera looking buffed and worn but not the optical surfaces ... if the screen qualifies as that?

;-)....snip....
And what will be the difference with the E-P1 or the GF1??? But, hey, who am I to stop your gear buying habit???... (me with 2x G1 and E-P1). :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well it is time for back to school announcements. My kid already started school. I may have to delay that Ep-1 purchase

kevinparis

for all you mac users ALT + m gives you µ

I am sure windows people can do the same... it probably involves 13 keystrokes, and a service pack :)

K

kweide

µµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµ

so easy : ALTGR+M

Klaus

nostatic

Well it is time for back to school announcements. My kid already started school. I may have to delay that Ep-1 purchase
You, sir, have some screwed up priorities. My son's pants still fit...they just are closer to shorts now (he's 12). And duct tape works wonders on shoes. :p

pellicle

And what will be the difference with the E-P1 or the GF1???
something which is perhaps only in my mind ... having had a broken screen on another camera its something I'm a bit 'iffy' about. We have a 'case' for the Canon, and I could imagine putting one on a GF assuming it only had the pancake. I can't imagine that would work well for the G1 ... I've tried a few cases they were either too small or it swam in them. My EOS 630 has some nice marks where it went for a slide down the road while it was round my neck when I came off my XT600 one year ...

But, hey, who am I to stop your gear buying habit???... (me with 2x G1 and E-P1). :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
well, I've been rationaizing .. sold the APS body DSLR, kept the 35mm film SLR, sold one of the 6x9 film cameras ...

Guy Mancuso

You, sir, have some screwed up priorities. My son's pants still fit...they just are closer to shorts now (he's 12). And duct tape works wonders on shoes. :p
Well unfortunately the Phoenix school districts are totally screwed up. Starting kids back to school on August 6th with 113 degree temps is just sick thinking. Totally ruins our vacations every year

...my bet is that we will eventually have curved sensors.....
Just like the original 8x11 mm Minox (1936 for the "Ur-Minox"), where the narrow filmstrip was pressed into a distinct curve before exposure....

This, however (along with diffraction considerations, no doubt) dictated that the lens had to be used wide open (f/3.5) at all times, since the curvature of field would have changed when stopping down. Obviously, this would be a major problem for a camera with curved sensor as well.

And, we´d have to forget using legacy lenses with adapters....

nostatic

Well unfortunately the Phoenix school districts are totally screwed up. Starting kids back to school on August 6th with 113 degree temps is just sick thinking. Totally ruins our vacations every year
We were up in Big Bear for vacation last week and they had just started school. But at least there is was only up in the 80's. Thankfully my son doesn't start until after labor day.

I hear it's a dry heat though :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

You should follow Voltaire's advice -- when I have money, I buy cameras; if there's any left over, I buy food and clothes.

I will tell that one to the wife and see how far I get these days. LOL

Good theory but mine is buy and explain later. That saying in the Buy and Sell did not come from thin air. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Godfrey

... ot: minox hoo hah

... This, however (along with diffraction considerations, no doubt) dictated that the lens had to be used wide open (f/3.5) at all times, since the curvature of field would have changed when stopping down.
Actually, it was Walter Zapp's ambition to simplify use of the camera as much as possible that drove him to use a fixed aperture lens. His original format was even smaller than 8x11 mm to maximize depth of field, obviating the need to stop down, but he had a lot of problems getting a lens that would produce adequate quality results. The original f/3.5 Anastigmat lens was good for its day but nowhere near the quality of the post-war five- and then four-element Complans, designed by an ex-Leica engineer in Wetzlar after the Riga plant was long gone. He doubled the format size to 8x11 to accommodate the quality needs, which still allowed 6' to infinity focus simplicity at the hyperfocal setting.

The beauty of the Riga Minox for a user was that all you needed to do was set distance and shutter speed. Set to the 12' hyperfocal, that reduced to setting the shutter speed ... simplicity itself in the perception of the 1930s. :)

Reformulation of the Complan 15mm f/3.5 lens to the Minox 15mm f/3.5 lens in the early 1970s (somewhere during the production run of the Minox C model, IIRC) obviated the need for the curved pressure plate to achieve the same corner/edge resolution, and so that feature was dropped to save money.

Nice to know there's another Minox 8x11 enthusiast on the forum. I still have a brace of them, and was delighted to be a judge on the Minox Historical Society's 2008-2009 photo competition. Pop into Minox.org if you care to browse the competition picks.

Diane B

If you want another (and it sure sounds as though you do LOL), go for it. You can share--but--turning the LCD around doesn't qualify for why you SHOULDN'T do it that way--you just turn it out when using. But, if she likes a smaller, less 'in your face' then the Pen or GF-1 would be a great second choice.

Diane

Hi

;-)

anyway ... I don't genuinely think that's the only reason she prefers hers ... she doesn't want to have an "intimidating" camera. So I was thinking that an E-P1 would fit, then when this camera came up ... I'm delaying purchasing till I see this one in more details.

Also, I've had a gut-full of multiple batteries and chargers, so if the GF shares the battery / charger with the G1 then it'll be a point in its favour over the E-P1

Diane B

Wow, that's earlier than even here in NC. Ours start next week I think. It was a big change when they moved from after Labor Day to in mid August (think back to a time when it was a much more rural state with kids working in the fields with their families).

I hope Phoenix has AC in the classrooms--I think all our schools do except perhaps VERY old small schools and maybe even window ACs) or in the mts. Then--the kids are cooler than at home or outside except for sports.

Guy--you don't really need one anyhow LOL. And--if you give it time, more choices.

Diane

Guy Mancuso

I agree I am going to wait it out a little this Panny sounds interesting and a few others . My 19 year daughter has her eye on my G10 and I may just have to give that up to her. She likes to shoot and is pretty good too. Must be the genes. LOL

So if I do that I will need something, sounds like a good excuse to me. LOL

BTW I played with the EP-1 at B&H a few weeks ago . Really reminded me of the M8 without finder of course but I do still love that camera style. But the LCD was a little on the dark side and outside may cause some issues with the bright sun here. Maybe a Hoodman fold up hood would be a nice option on these types of camera's