The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New M43 GF1 - Possibly

sinwen

I posted the following in the LUF:
Here is a quote from the Annual Report:

Product risks
There is considerable risk from the continuing acceleration of
product life cycles in the digital camera sector. The key digital
technologies and the timely market introduction of products
are essential for the Company’s corporate success and the
continuation of the Company as a going concern. Alliances
with reliable technology partners constitute a vital part of the
process both in the field of digital compact cameras and in
the field of digital system cameras.

As a result of the sales slump due to the global eco -
nomic crisis, as well as a result of delays in the development
and market introduction of products there are considerable
risks concerning the continuation of the Company as a going
concern as at the end of the fiscal year.

Accountants must address the risks of whether the company will continue as a "going concern." Leica has put forth several restructuring plans but the statement above means that their is very significant risk that it may not continue as a going concern. If you read the report you will see both sales and debt repayment risks that could put the company at risk.
That was shockingly obvious the company would be in trouble, fiddling around with a dubious M8, then a silly S2, instead of going to FF- R straight, pushing FT then MFT now.
Someone ever knew why they fired their boss last time ? Because he was right may be !:salute:
I don't need a rebadged camera for double the price, that's a kind of marketing which helps to get into the drain as well.

Pana in return does its best to fulfill its customers hopes & dreams. This GF1 is a long time dream for many. But if you add an EVF to it , you already have it with the GH1.
The idea here is maximum compactness, something "pocketable".
That's the reason why I think the new comer won't make much sens with an external EVF, but should come with a first rate 960000 screen ! Bellow that the aim would be half missed.
For the same reason, a serie of pancake lenses are a deep cry and the 17 is hardly wide enough ! 10 & 14mm are awaited !

My Nikon compact film camera had a lousy OFV which was not protruding, zooming with the lens. That was all what we had and it did the job. Why not working back on that to make it from lousy to good !

monza

The following is an important accountants statement:

As a result of the sales slump due to the global eco -
nomic crisis, as well as a result of delays in the development
and market introduction of products there are considerable
risks concerning the continuation of the Company as a going
concern as at the end of the fiscal year.
I haven't read the annual report. How much debt do they have? How much stock does Kaufmann own?

barjohn

Kaufman owns the majority of the shares. He lent the company €8,000,000 which he is deferring collection on if I read it correctly. Additionally Panasonic lent Leica €20,000,000 that comes due 9/2011 however the rate increases over time such that the current balance is €20,312,000. It is this latter debt that has the accountant worried.

R

Ranger 9

This GF1 is a long time dream for many. But if you add an EVF to it , you already have it with the GH1.
The idea here is maximum compactness, something "pocketable".
That's the reason why I think the new comer won't make much sens with an external EVF...
It makes sense to me. If you don't want an EVF (and look at the millions of compact-digicam users who seem perfectly happy without one) then you can leave it off and have maximum portability.

But if you do want an EVF (if you're going out in the sun, for example) then you can add one on. You don't need to buy two cameras to have your "versatile" camera and your "compact" camera.

monza

Interesting.

In that event it would appear that Panasonic would likely negotiate to take controlling interest in exchange for debt.

Kaufman owns the majority of the shares. He lent the company €8,000,000 which he is deferring collection on if I read it correctly. Additionally Panasonic lent Leica €20,000,000 that comes due 9/2011 however the rate increases over time such that the current balance is €20,312,000. It is this latter debt that has the accountant worried.

Terry

It makes sense to me. If you don't want an EVF (and look at the millions of compact-digicam users who seem perfectly happy without one) then you can leave it off and have maximum portability.

But if you do want an EVF (if you're going out in the sun, for example) then you can add one on. You don't need to buy two cameras to have your "versatile" camera and your "compact" camera.
I completely agree with everything except you don't need to buy two cameras. Every girl needs more than one camera!!!!!

sinwen

I fully agree with this, what "I think" they will do is most probably different from my own wishes. I just hope to be wrong.

Tim

I agree here too, OR, you can shove on a OVF.

The EVF is probably no higher or bigger than the faux pentaprism on the G1.

I wonder though if the OVF/EVFs would work better if clipped to the left side of the camera, then it would become more Leica RF like and leave the hot shoe free for other stuff - flash, bubble level.... coffee machine :LOL:

Godfrey

... The EVF is probably no higher or bigger than the faux pentaprism on the G1.

I wonder though if the OVF/EVFs would work better if clipped to the left side of the camera, then it would become more Leica RF like ...
The 'faux' pentaprism housing on the G1 is the flash housing, built over the EVF assembly. I don't know what's 'faux' about it other than people seem to respond to it as if it were a styling priority.

Parallax compensation is much easier to visualize if the viewfinder is in line with the lens axis. Note that accessory finders installed on a Leica M are on the lens axis ... since they don't have the mobile frameline mechanism of the built in rangefinder/viewfinder, it makes it easy to position a couple of small marks to indicate parallax compensation.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
The 'faux' pentaprism housing on the G1 is the flash housing, built over the EVF assembly. I don't know what's 'faux' about it other than people seem to respond to it as if it were a styling priority.
I too, have always been puzzled by people's reaction to the "bump" on the top of the G1. The EP-1 is not much smaller than the G1. Oly engineers overcame the problem of achieving a flat top by leaving out the flash and the EVF - when they put them in, the EP-1 will be bigger than the G1.

Form follows function.

Keith

Tim

I too, have always been puzzled by people's reaction to the "bump" on the top of the G1.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the G1, I don't mean it in a demeaning way, but how else do you describe it? It looks like a pentaprism housing - perhaps I picked up someone else's description. My point is that adding the removable EVF will not amount to more than the fixed G1 housing.

mawz

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the G1, I don't mean it in a demeaning way, but how else do you describe it? It looks like a pentaprism housing - perhaps I picked up someone else's description. My point is that adding the removable EVF will not amount to more than the fixed G1 housing.
The thing is it's not 'faux' in any way shape or form. The EVF assembly in the G1 is quite large and fills the hump the same way a prism would.

Godfrey

Exactly. It's properly referred to as 'the EVF housing' or 'the flash housing'. Referring to it as something related to a pentaprism is incorrect. 'Faux pentprism' is a label used by many who seek to disparage the G1's design.

Diane B

And--a bit off the form of the G1--I'm actually wondering if I may not buy a GH1 as my second m4/3rds body instead of the GF-1. Initially, I thought--just the camera for me for second body--and I may still go that way, but functionally, the G1 suits me exactly. I have to wonder, for my style of shooting, if I need a slimmer body--having to add (probably) an accessory EVF most of the time. I'm just not sure--after the bloom as left the roses, so to speak LOL. I was excited with the possibility as I was with the Pen--but considering it very carefully, I wonder if I would use it any differently than I do the G1--and if so, the G1 really suits me. I prefer the more rangefinder form but I use and like the grip, I like the tilt LCD sometimes, I know I like the EVF--so what's not to like about the G1/GH1 except its not as classic/retro looking. Godfrey has said many times--and I concur--its a tool, and the m4/3rds format works best FOR ME in the G1 form.

The one thing in its favor--for me--is that I could tuck the GF1 in a bag to carry along as a 'second' more easily. Good thing it appears I have time to think about this LOL.

Diane

scho

And--a bit off the form of the G1--I'm actually wondering if I may not buy a GH1 as my second m4/3rds body instead of the GF-1. Initially, I thought--just the camera for me for second body--and I may still go that way, but functionally, the G1 suits me exactly. I have to wonder, for my style of shooting, if I need a slimmer body--having to add (probably) an accessory EVF most of the time. I'm just not sure--after the bloom as left the roses, so to speak LOL. I was excited with the possibility as I was with the Pen--but considering it very carefully, I wonder if I would use it any differently than I do the G1--and if so, the G1 really suits me. I prefer the more rangefinder form but I use and like the grip, I like the tilt LCD sometimes, I know I like the EVF--so what's not to like about the G1/GH1 except its not as classic/retro looking. Godfrey has said many times--and I concur--its a tool, and the m4/3rds format works best FOR ME in the G1 form.

The one thing in its favor--for me--is that I could tuck the GF1 in a bag to carry along as a 'second' more easily. Good thing it appears I have time to think about this LOL.

Diane
Diane, I feel the same about the G1. It is really perfect for my needs and I have no complaints about design. The E-P1 is a pretty little camera, but in terms of performance and file quality (so far) I prefer the G1. I'm going to wait for LR support for the E-P1 and make a more rigorous comparison with the G1, but I have the feeling that the E-P1 is going to end up in my wife's purse. I'm also not crazy about clip on finders so if the GF1 specs are as they appear now I will probably pass on that one as well.

Carl

photoSmart42

I got really excited about the GF1 when I saw this thread, and I've been thinking of buying one to complement the G1 my wife and I use now, but I guess I'm having seconds thoughts. The plan was to sell the G1 and get a GH1 and a GF1. The GF1 would be intended as basically a point-and-shoot purse camera for my wife with the 20/1.7 lens on it (I'd been looking at the LX3, but the GF1 fits the bill and it has interchangeable lenses!), while we'd take the GH1 on more dedicated photo shoots and use it to take videos.

Now the more I think about it, the more I'm wondering about just getting the 20/1.7 lens and turning the G1 into the compact purse camera for the wife, while still getting the GH1 for everything else. I'm just not sure how much smaller and lighter the GF1 would be compared to the G1 when both have the pancake lens on them. It seems the only difference in the two bodies is the VF and the slightly thicker body on the G1 due to the flip screen. Would it really be THAT much bulkier than the GF1 to justify trying to sell the G1, and losing the VF and the flip screen? My wife likes taking photos using the viewfinder, so that alone may be enough to vote against the GF1 for us.