The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic - External flash & 3rd party battery suggestions?

rrobinson54

I just bought a used Panasonic G1 and would like to purchase a good external flash - one that is not too big or too expensive. The Oly. FL36 seems to be good choice. Any suggestions?

I would also like to buy a few extra non-oem batteries. Any good choices on where to get these?

Thanks!

simonclivehughes

The FL36 is good (I have the FL36R, but can't use the radio capability). If the G1 has the latest firmware, you will have to buy Panny batteries, at least until the 3rd party guys crack the chipping.

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers,

kweide

Simon,

how do you like Metz 48 AF1 ??? A very strong flash with 4 batteries/akkus and still compact. Check the price !

simonclivehughes

Kevin,

I'll be honest... I bought the FL36R when I first got the G1 and I've not used it once. I guess this means that I'm not likely to be looking for another flash! :)

Cheers,

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I just bought a used Panasonic G1 and would like to purchase a good external flash - one that is not too big or too expensive. The Oly. FL36 seems to be good choice. Any suggestions?

I would also like to buy a few extra non-oem batteries. Any good choices on where to get these?

Thanks!
Vivek recommended this flash which I ordered, but it seems that the listing has now ended. Perhaps it is available elsewhere

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380138694906

Keith

V

Vivek

Like Keith said, first check the firmware in your camera. See this thread:
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8193

The batteries recommended by "hot" work well for me. No issues so far.

The 3rd party flash works like a charm, especially for 25mm FL. I have now added a wide adapter (from an old Metz flash) for my wider lenses.

The swivel head with a home made reflector (a plastic card- the size of a standard bank card) works beautifully for portraits. The key is to use center weighted metering so that any adjustments to the flash value is meaningful.

V

Vivek

Are these 3rd party flashes decent? Do they offer TTL flash exposure?

The one Keith mentioned does and it can only do TTL and nothing else.

The big Olympus/Panasonic system flashes are more sophisticated in that they can adjust flash according to the focal length of the lens (comes in handy while using a zoom, for instance).

Unfortunately, there are no such options in small sizes. Electronic flashes should be be bigger/heavier than the camera itself (for me, at least). The one offered by Pansonic (for G1) does not have a zoom head nor can it be tilted. The Olympus (E-P1) flash is a mere decorative piece.

I do strongly favor a TTL extension chord as well. This offers even more flexibility.

Godfrey

I use the Olympus FL36 at present, with the Olympus TTL cord too. It works very nicely. It's not the most powerful flash around, and cycle times get a little slow once the batteries start to become exhausted. The Metz mentioned up thread is another good choice and fully integrates with the G1 too.

On batteries, so far I've bought one spare OEM Panasonic battery. I may not need another .. I'm getting upwards of 500-600 exposures per charge with these batteries and only rarely think I might need a third. Firmware v1.3 restricts you to OEM batteries and compatibles ... the folks at BestBatt.com have stated that they will or do have compatible batteries at a lower price.

The price is high but I've not had any problems with my Panasonic gear so eh? After the second 10,000 exposures, it's paid for itself anyway. ;-)

C

ChrisJ

I rang this company yesterday

http://www.batterycompany.co.uk/shop/panasonic-digital-camera-battery/b1346-inov8-dmw-blb13-panasonic-camera-battery|21331/

about G1 batteries and they told me of the problem, which was a good sign, a very well informed lady called Sarah rang the manufacturers in the UK (Inov8) and rang me back to say that they WILL hack the chip code (all their lithium batteries are properly chipped). She's going to ring back when they have a solution and I will report back here.

Chris