The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help me choose the photos

Rawfa

Ok, so I'm trying to sell my guitar and a guy asked for some photos. I can tell he doesn't know a great deal about guitars and what I really want is for him to try it out because I know this guitar sounds good and feels good. So, I have a bunch of photos and I'm trying to figure out which ones to send him. Suggestions will be appreciated:

nostatic

If I was buying a guitar, I wouldn't want the art shots. But if you are going to use the headstock shot, wide down the rest of the dust.

Just the standard front/back and I'm always interested in the back of the neck. Use angles/art if you have a particularly good piece of wood for the top, otherwise I don't think it helps sell but ymmv.

kevinparis

rawfa

if i was buying a guitar I would want to see how 'used' it was. Close ups of the pick guard, the back of the body and the frets at the top and middle of the scales would see how well the guitar had been used/treated. I would actually show any scratches or marks... just so there is no dispute afterwards

K

PS nice guitar

V

Vivek

Take a look at some of the product shots in the FS section (especially the ones from the MF shooters). Light it up evenly and show everything in focus. Show close ups of the relevant sections (also sharp with no fuzzy areas).

Rawfa

I've never done anything remotely close to commercial shots, so these tips are very helpful (it's actually one of the reasons that lead me to get OUT of the film business).Thanks guys!

As works of art, I really like your guitar images. Trying to convince somebody that an object is in good shape is something else, however (as several posters have pointed out).

FWIW, when I put something up on a web auction (I do sometimes...), I always use a small-sensor camera to get maximum dof (you´ll have to dwn-res heavily, so resolution isn´t a problem). Also, I´ve learned the hard way the necessity of cleaning and dusting all surfaces scrupulously: every grain of dust and every fingerprint will show in all its glory...

Good, even lighting, but still with some sense of direction to get textures out properly. If there are scratches or blemishes, make them show clearly (without over-emphasizing them...); it´s far better that a buyer is aware of them from the start than if he finds them after delivery.... And, obviously, absolutely no clone stamping anywhere...

All that said, your guitar images almost make me want to take up playing....:salute: