The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 iso 3200

Rawfa

I never, I mean NEVER shoot beyond iso 1600 unless it is absolutely 110% necessary. BUT I decided to test the E-P1's boundaries just for kicks:

Kit lens at 25mm and ISO 3200 (please, don't bare in mind my mugshot face):

Absolutely great! Lots of "film feeling", but mainly a very good portrait. Dramatic lighting well used, too.

From your description, I assume it´s a self-portrait. Did you use a mirror, or did you just shoot "blindly"? The excellent cropping looks far to good to have been made without seeing what you were doing.

Rawfa

Thanks! Yes, it is a self portrait. This was actually the best out of 3 blind shots. And BTW, I used the in camera B&W with the in camera RED filter. I then brought it into photoshop and increased the contrast and crushed the shadows. It is actually pretty amazing to see that if necessary you can take iso this high with the E-P1.

D

ddk

I'm a fan of high contrast, grainy shots and like your portrait Rafa! Try holding the eyes back a bit when compressing the blacks for more life.

tom in mpls

I'm a fan of high contrast, grainy shots and like your portrait Rafa! Try holding the eyes back a bit when compressing the blacks for more life.
David, for my ongoing education in post processing, can you further explain "holding...back" and "compressing the blacks"?

D

ddk

David, for my ongoing education in post processing, can you further explain "holding...back" and "compressing the blacks"?
Compressing the blacks is what Rafa has done, darkening the shadows and making them more black and loosing some detail as a consequence. In PS, one of the ways to do this is with levels adjustment, pulling the left triangle towards the center will accomplish this. One can also do a levels adjustment "layer", same control but on a new layer, hence the name, where one can control & apply the darkening process selectively with the layer mask, this way he could block the eyes from becoming so dark while the shadows would be as dark as he wants.

barjohn

I am amazed at how good the ISO 3200 files can be made to look. I turned off all noise reduction in camera. The following side by side images were taken a few seconds apart. The one on the left is at ISO 200 at 1/3 sec, f2.8 and 17mm. The one on the right was taken at ISO 3200 1/40 sec, f2.8-17mm. There is some camera blur in the first since these were both shot hand-held. Sitll, I think it is amazing how close they are. These were processed JPGs in BibblePro 5 Bete 2.2 using Noise Ninja on the ISO 3200 shot.

Last edited:

nostatic

Thanks! Yes, it is a self portrait. This was actually the best out of 3 blind shots. And BTW, I used the in camera B&W with the in camera RED filter. I then brought it into photoshop and increased the contrast and crushed the shadows. It is actually pretty amazing to see that if necessary you can take iso this high with the E-P1.
This is what I've been alluding to in other threads - I really like the look of the high iso images from the EP1. It is not "clean" but I find the noise quite pleasing for certain applications. Much better than the noise I get with a small sensor and even the APS-C sensor (depending on the details).