The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

Michiel Schierbeek

Re: thanks again everyone for the comments!

@street:

Oh I understand that, yes indeed. The imposition of a title does change the perception of an image.

As the author of a piece, one can either leave it untitled or title it. The problem is one of communication, in my opinion. If you leave a piece untitled, it still has a name ... "Untitled" ... which can either say to a viewer "I didn't know what to make of this, maybe you do" (kind of a weak message imo) or it can say, "The piece speaks for itself, you should be able to figure it out; if you can't, tough" which seems pretentious to me. Too strong a title pushes the viewer into too narrow a channel of perception. Too weak a title often reduces the viewer's interest in a piece. The most often heard question on showing a person a photograph that isn't intended to be totally literal is, "What is that a picture of?"

So there are hard and yet fuzzy lines in the pavement to step around.

I feel I have to title my work somehow, as a practical matter, for the simple purpose of having some handle for a person to refer to it by. I dislike the pretension implied in a title like "Untitled #2044a". I spend a lot of time thinking about the titles I apply so as not, in my opinion, to box in the viewer's perceptions too much while giving some suggestion of my intent in the authoring of a piece.

NO solution to titling is perfect, I've found, and it affect some people more and in different way than it does others. Many completely ignore the titles I put on the photos, others seem to become fixated on them and suggest changes, alternatives, elision ...

All points of view are worth listening to, however, so I thank you for bringing up this interesting topic.
Yes Hallo,
Giving titles are a part of my life too, but I don't think there always is a neccesaty to title Photographs, or artworks for that matter.
Sometimes they pop up in your mind instantly, sometimes you can't find anything you find appropiate, especially right after production.
Then a title can come in later.
When it's a part of a serie, you can just give the work a number.
How can you title the mood your in, or was.
Anyway I don't think a title qualifys a work as being more interesting, in many cases titles are so obvious, you would not need them.
I like your photograph, don't get me wrong, but a good work can speak for itself, I think.
In other cases they can help to give people a handle for association.
A good title (can) help(s).
Conclusion; :talk028:
Best regards, Michiel