The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Remote PC control for the E-P1?

gDallasK

Has anyone tried this with the E-P1?

http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp

It claims to work with "E-Series cameras" - but doesn't specify models. Or is there some other software that will work?

I've long been spoiled by Breeze Systems DSLR Remote Pro for my Canon DSLRs and would find it very handy to have similar control for the E-P1.

Godfrey

The E-P1 has no PC Control mode in the USB setup, according to the instruction manual.

Olympus Service responded to my query about tethered operation: their response indicated that the E-P1 does not support tethered operation at all, they don't even have service tools that can drive its controls.

"E-Series cameras" refers to the Olympus E-System FourThirds SLRs. The E-P1 is a new thing under the sun, it's part of the new Pen line of Micro Four Thirds cameras.

gDallasK

Thanks Godfrey - I must have dropped off to sleep when I got to that section of the manual. It's a pity, however, that the E-P1 doesn't include tethered operation. We can probably blame the marketing department's demand to dumb-down the E-P1 so that there would be headroom for a more advanced camera in due course.

Godfrey

Thanks Godfrey - I must have dropped off to sleep when I got to that section of the manual. It's a pity, however, that the E-P1 doesn't include tethered operation. We can probably blame the marketing department's demand to dumb-down the E-P1 so that there would be headroom for a more advanced camera in due course.
While those like us who are of a technical bent and also understand the potential in the E-P1's capabilities might descry this lack, the truth is that this particular product was intended for a broader audience most of whom would never utilize tethered operation. Every feature, every component costs money one way or another, and it is already a fairly expensive camera to build and test.

I feel micro-FourThirds has a lot of legs under it, I fully expect to see "pro" calibre models in the future, with features for pro users like tethered operation and such. This camera is just the beginning for Olympus ... it all has to start somewhere! :)