The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Camera bag for 2 G1 bodies & kit lenses?

Godfrey

Only the bottom of this is padded but it does look interesting. Haven't bought that quite yet.

http://figitalrevolution.com/bare-bones-bag-camera-bag-leica-lomo-lca-zeiss-rangefinder/

Off to the closet
Very interesting, Terry! I really like the design a lot.

I hate the materials, however, and the notion of putting a big reflective patch AND velcro on the overflap makes me a little ill. I avoid anything that has reflective stuff on it; a pair of loop and hasp securing closers like the Terraclime has is much more appealing to me.

Perhaps I'll call him and see if he'll make me one in heavy canvas, lined with microfiber cloth, and leave off the Velcro.

Godfrey

The two bags that look good (at least on-line) are the Domke F6 and Lowepro Nova 200 AW. Unfortunately, we are not close to any camera stores to check the bags out in person.
The Domke F6 is what I used to carry my Hasselblad 500CM plus four backs, three lenses, and other accessories in. Two G1s and three lense? It's a HUGE bag for that. :)

I fit both the Panasonic L1 with the 35 Macro and the G1 with the 25mm into the Domke F5XB. With tons of room to spare. I'm sure two bodies and three lenses will fit.

Terry

these look rather nice..let me know how your trip to the San Francisco store goes, I like the looks of those as well.
I have an old Timbuk2 classic messenger (small). They are indestructible but the velcro is strong and annoying because it will mess up clothes so I don't use it much. If I were to get a new one I would custom order it and have them leave off the front velcro. They said it can be ordered that way.

You can get more in a Timbuk2 classic messenger than the Terraclime 100. The messenger is about 2" wider and about 2" deeper. There is NO! padding in a Timbuk2 (terraclime's is very thin but there). I just put 4 lenses (each in a neoprene pouch) in the bag (7-14, 14-45, 45-200 and 25 lux) and can fit the GH1 with 14-140 next to it all and a G1 with lens sitting on top in wrap. You could get in two more lens and flash and have both cameras sitting on top of the lenses with no problem. I don't mind camera on top of lenses because when shooing camera is out so you aren't juggling around in the bag.

So, I haven't ordered anything for the moment because I wasn't hugely inspired but you know me, always on the lookout for something new.

Terry

I hate the materials, however, and the notion of putting a big reflective patch AND velcro on the overflap makes me a little ill. I avoid anything that has reflective stuff on it; a pair of loop and hasp securing closers like the Terraclime has is much more appealing to me.

Perhaps I'll call him and see if he'll make me one in heavy canvas, lined with microfiber cloth, and leave off the Velcro.
Design is nice. Give a bit more options than the shootsac if you want to stow the camera away. I completely agree on materials and velcro. If you can convince him to experiment with different materials I would give it a try! You can tell him there would be more than one order.

kweide

I bought this leather bag in Rome, Italy.
The companies name is La Sella, its near the famous Fonatan di Trevi. Dont ask me the name of the bag. I dont know. I took it because its softness, its clear and straight desgin. It has only one compartment but my E-P1 fits well into it. Briefcase and keymap as well, yes a mobilephone holder is inside too. And it is sooooooft

The company
http://www.lasellaroma.it/index.htm

Get into contact with them and send them the photos of the bag. They will know ! Should i take some more shots from the bag ???

kweide

It has only one main compartment. On the back it has another zipper controlled opening. A CD easily fits into. Under the front flap another zipper for a deeeeep pocket. And in the main compartment it has a stiched pocket with an additional mobile phone holder...

The back

Under the frontflap

The inside pocket

Godfrey

Thanks! That really does look nice, great for a compact carry-the-camera-and-small-junk day bag. I'll send them a note ... :)

rrobinson54

What preferences do most people have in the color of their camera bags? I have always used basic black bags, but the Lowepro bags look nice in chestnut & red. Do they look more like camera bags when in colors? I think black is a good choice, but it might be time to go "crazy" and try something different?

Diane B

I only have 2 that are 'colored'--an old Tamrac dark green one and the tan F6 Domke. All my others are black. I was sorely tempted to get the Terraclime in a color, but the grass green interior helped it seem not just 'black'.

I agree--a color might be nice. Chestnut sounds nice--and would probably age nicely. Oh--I DO have a big red Delsey backpack--forgot that one. Since its a backpack that sits straight up on the ground (rather than lay out like a lot), when I used it it got set down a lot--and it showed dirt. Not a good choice for backpack I used hiking. But then--it didn't seem so 'outdoorsy' backpacky for urban shooting.

Maybe it is time to go different. Only thing is bags stick around a long time for me and I always wonder if I'll get tired of the color. OTOH--I'm not typical--in one of my most recent 'past' lives I was a textile designer/craftsperson and worked with color, dyeing, daily for years. I'm also married to a designer so we live color day in and day out. Maybe why I tend to go black.

Diane

LisaR

I have liked Crumpler bags because they are colorful and comfortable especially when I was carrying around a D700. With the G1 I can get aways with a less structured bag if need be, but still like my red and yellow 5 million dollar home alot. I have been tempted by the Shootsac's but have not see much feedback on them.

I also found these which lok nice but it does not give dimensions

http://www.firststreetleather.com/s...._leather_man_bag_camera_bag_cafe_dav453.html

btrancho

Only the bottom of this is padded but it does look interesting. Haven't bought that quite yet.

http://figitalrevolution.com/bare-bones-bag-camera-bag-leica-lomo-lca-zeiss-rangefinder/

Off to the closet
These are made for him by Courierware and are a stripped down version of their extra small Incognito bag ie - no interior padding, no buckles, etc. The Icognito also has a slightly different pocket design that you can see on the web site.

I use the Incognito as my day to day bag with the G1 but have modified the padding insert to be much smaller. You can order the Incognito with any color flap you choose to avoid the reflective nonsense of the Bare Bones bag. For me, its the ideal (for now :LOL: ) bag - doesn't look like a camera bag, very lightweight, comfortable wide strap. Highly recommended.

jsparks

The bare bones bags are made by Courierware (http://courierbags.com). They have a lot more choices for design, colors, velcro, etc. I don't know how different the bare bones bag is from the standard Courierware bag other than the funky reflective material.

I was looking at these for a while, but recently got a Domke 5xb instead. I wish the 5xb was just a little bigger. It holds what I want (G1, 14-45, 45-200 and with a tight fit a 3rd lens, but it is a little too small to easily work out of.

Terry

The bare bones bags are made by Courierware (http://courierbags.com). They have a lot more choices for design, colors, velcro, etc. I don't know how different the bare bones bag is from the standard Courierware bag other than the funky reflective material.
It seems like the BBB has a more interesting interior for me. It looks like a reverse shoot sack with pockets for each of the lenses to avoid the heavily padded insert. Have you compared the interiors?

jsparks

It seems like the BBB has a more interesting interior for me. It looks like a reverse shoot sack with pockets for each of the lenses to avoid the heavily padded insert. Have you compared the interiors?
I haven't compared the interiors except the limited photos on the web sites. The Courierware bags show the interiors inside out which makes the pockets look very flat. I don't know if they would be big enough to hold a lens. The camera bag insert looks too stiff and over padded to me.

The pockets on the BBB also look too small for a G1 with the kit lens mounted (maybe I'm wrong). I don't think I'd really like the BBB with 2 bodies unless one had a pancake lens mounted and would fit in one of the pockets.

JMaher

The BBB looks interesting and looks customized with the inside pockets. If anyone convinces him to make one without the velcro and with a canvas front flap I would also be interested. The reflective front just seems "wrong"

Jim