The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Camera bag for 2 G1 bodies & kit lenses?

rrobinson54

I just sent my Panasonic G1 to Precision to get it IR converted. I would like to carry the IR converted G1 with my other G1 body, both kit lenses, and small flash in the smallest bag I can. Any recommendations on a good bag for carrying two bodies & kit lenses? I was thinking about the Domke 5xb, but it is probably too small to carry both bodies.

Suggestions??

Diane B

I have the 5xb and I think you are right. Its great for one body and several lenses but I don't think it can handle a second body. I also have the 6 (little bit bigger) which is probably larger than you want--is there one in between? I use the 6 to carry the G1 and lenses (one mounted) and other extras--its still very light but probably would be more room than you need for just 2 lenses and small flash. I have the 3x also (I think) and its really too deep for the G1s. Maybe you can find another Domke--I really like them because of the light weight and softer bodies
http://tiffen.com/results.html?search_type_no=430&tablename=domke&family=Domke Camera Bags&page_no=1

Right now I'm using the Terraclime 100 as a day to day bag--but again, don't think it can handle 2 bodies. Maybe Terry has a better idea since she has the G1 and E-P1.

Diane

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have the terraclime 100. It holds my two G1's with lenses on them. All the accessories fit in the pouches/zipped compartment. I have to wrap one G1 in the wrap, which I am not crazy about. If I carry one G1 and the E-P1, it works better. I keep the E-P1 in a padded zipper bag and the G1 bare. You just wouldn't want both G1's in there without some kind of protection on one of them.

rrobinson54

Diane:

I bought the Terraclime 100, based on the recommendation from you and others. I love the bag and will keep using it. But, when I get my IR converted G1 back, I will at times, want to carry both bodies, lenses, etc. and need a bigger and more padded bag. Does Crumpler or Lowepro have any smaller bags that are recommended for 2 bodies & lenses?

Thanks,

Rick

Terry

And now also the GH-1 :eek:

Let me play around in the bag closet for a little bit. GH1 just arrived today.

rrobinson54

Cindy -

I took your recommendation on getting an IR conversion done at Precision. I was lucky enough to locate a good used G1 at a great price. I always loved shooting IR, when I owned Canon and Nikon IR converted cameras. I think I will really like using the compact G1 for IR.

Rick

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy -

I took your recommendation on getting an IR conversion done at Precision. I was lucky enough to locate a good used G1 at a great price. I always loved shooting IR, when I owned Canon and Nikon IR converted cameras. I think I will really like using the compact G1 for IR.

Rick
Rick,
I'm loving it!! Let us know how you like yours. What lens did you send in?

kweide

Had the same prob with bags. My solution is this little friendly-looking leather bag. No one thinks of a camerabag or even an E-P1 inside :). Tested it on several trips. Yes it works good for me...

Ready for action

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Regular backpack. Toss them in.
But remember, by the time Vivek has disassembled his camera, removed a few essential pieces, put it back together, covered it with Magic Marker and tape, it looks like . . . . . anyway.
:wtf:

Keith

rrobinson54

Cindy - I sent in the 14-45mm lens for the IR conversion.

Someone must sell a compact bag for 2 G1 & 2 lenses. Lowepro? Crumpler? Domke?

V

Vivek

But remember, by the time Vivek has disassembled his camera, removed a few essential pieces, put it back together, covered it with Magic Marker and tape, it looks like . . . . . anyway.
:wtf:

Keith
Keith, The kind of things you make me look up.. I am sure they the right stuff for you. ;):D

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Keith, The kind of things you make me look up.. I am sure they the right stuff for you. ;):D

They are indeed - I've just received your recommended flash and it works like a charm - I am also just on the hairy edge of painting my Oly 17mm black.
But I refuse to wear a Hello Kitty camera bag. Unless I paint out HelloKitty with Magic Marker, now that's a thought - have you tried it? :bugeyes:

Thanks
Keith

Terry

Cindy - I sent in the 14-45mm lens for the IR conversion.

Someone must sell a compact bag for 2 G1 & 2 lenses. Lowepro? Crumpler? Domke?
I think it depends on how you want to carry the 2 G1's. The body is certainly small enough, but the shapes get a little more difficult to throw in a bag when you have two bodies with lenses attached (especially if one is the 45-200). For my M8's when you had two plus lenses a great bag was a Domke bag that was adapted here by Jack. In it you could get 2 M8s and about 8 lenses. Not sure if this style interests you (if so, I can give you all of the details on model and the middle slots.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1081&postcount=4

These days for general city stuff or when out driving, I prefer a less padded solution like the Terraclime or a non photo bag and to use little pouches for the lenses. The padded camera bags tend to look too much like a camera bag and have too much padding. Crumplers padding is great but is so thick you could probably drop and camera bag from a pretty big height and not have any issues. :D

Timbuk2 now has a retail store in San Francisco and I was going to head over there this afternoon and check out their different bags many of which you can customize. I do have one of their messenger bag and it does have some heavy velcro on it. I want to see if you can get a build to order without velcro (the great clothing destroyer).

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/home

Terry

Diane B

That's the problem with the Domke 5xb--with a little seamripper you can take off the Velcro--but there are no other fasteners, so there you are LOL.

With the Domke 6 http://tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=domke&itemnum=700-60D , there are 2 hooks, no velcro--and I put a 4 section domke insert in the middle leaving room for one body on one side, one on the other (and it has pocket on back where I put my filter folder and a zip pocket on front which takes quite a lot of accessories). If you put a 2 section insert in middle you could put one body each side with lens mounted and still have 2 more sections plus the pockets--or you can move insert (it velcros in wherever you want) to one side and have larger section for camera with larger lens and 4 more sections--and you can put the G1 in one of those sections with ease.

I suspect it will be my 'go to 'bag' when I get 2 bodies. Right now I use it with G1 and several lenses and EOS adaptor and EF tilt shift lens-- but last trip I carried it with G1 and a couple of lenses and the 5D on other side and stuck the 50 f/1.4 in one of the sections. Worked really well. Might be worth a look. I'm not sure why I bought a tan canvas, but have had it for ages and its my only non-black bag LOL. Its been washed, used a lot--and still just maintains quite nicely.

Just noticed when I posted the link that it has a zip pocket in the top--since I never use it, completely forgot LOL.

Diane

Last edited:

rrobinson54

The two bags that look good (at least on-line) are the Domke F6 and Lowepro Nova 200 AW. Unfortunately, we are not close to any camera stores to check the bags out in person.

Diane B

I have the Domke F6 and I think my Nova 4AW was replaced by the 200--look about the same. The difference for me is that the Domke is more flexible interior wise and its not so rigid--box like--but of course, not padded like the Nova. It is a more relaxed moldable to body than the Nova which isn't at all. I use both a 4 section insert and a 2 section insert (and have a 1 also) for the Domkes which gives me a lot of ability to suit the gear.

I would say its really a matter of taste--I have a number of Lowepro bags from my big Magnum AW down to the Terraclime 100. The rigid bags like the Magnum, Nova, even the backpacks--are very well padded, have lots of compartments and can be setup with dividers. The Domkes (I have 3, the F3x which is my favorite bag to work out of for the 5D--the F6 and the 5xb) tend to be my favorite bags since they are very light, pretty flexible (esp. the F6) and don't look as much like a camera bag--nor are as 'square' as the LPs. I don't have any of the satchel bags from Domke--they certainly look worth looking into.

Diane