The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Long story don't laugh too hard but....

Terry

A GH1 arrived today.
It has been in such short supply and on backorder for long enough. I decided to place an order with Panasonic.com figuring the final announcement about the GF1 would be out before a GH1 shipped as the site said back ordered until September. Well two days after ordering it shipped! So, now I have all three micro 4/3 bodies and all the m4/3 lenses and I am still interested in the GF1. I was originally getting the camera for the 14-140 lens figuring I would sell the body and keep the lens if I liked it but now since Iceland I've gotten intrigued with video but please don't let me fall down a rabbit hole of processing!

OK so, yes, I'm a bit crazy :D but I will have a gear sale once I figure out my favorite combo of cameras. (sure :rolleyes:)

Thought I would post a couple of quick shots of the G1 and GH1 with the respective kit lenses.

don't abuse me for the Oly body cap :eek:

The first lens is the 25 summilux

LisaR

Nice set up there!

How do you like the Summilux? I am looking for a good lowlight prime and finding I am limited for the wider lenses.

Terry

I haven't used the 25 lux as much as I should. It is the biggest of all the lenses. It is loud when it focuses that is for sure. I will do some testing with it this weekend.

Diane B

Thanks Terry. It was interesting to see the 14-140 in context of all the lenses--smaller than I expected. Looking at the top of the G1 and GH1 the only 2 differences I can see are the mics on the top of the GH1 and the shutter button seems different--as though it is set into a larger frame. Oh--and the mode dial seems to have a difference but I can't make out exactly what it is.

Have fun---looking forward to seeing what you think of the video--and anything else you discover.

Diane

Terry

Diane,
It is smaller than I expected as well. That's why I put all the lenses together for the pictures. Took them with the Pen. Damn that thing focuses slowly!

Tim

Terry, I'm curious if the felt weight of the GH1 body feels any heavier over the G1 or are they identical in weight, size and feel? Can you detect any differences in the EVFs?

Terry

No battery in it yet, decompressing after a long work week.
I can't tell on weight yet either since I have an RRS plate bolted to the bottom of the G1 so it feels heavier. The GH1 feels very light so I can't imagine it is any heavier. The 14-140 is definitely heavier than the 14-45 so kit to kit the GH1 is definitely heavier.

C

carcam

Terry- I'd love to hear your impression of the 14-140 on the Pen. Speed of focus, balance, IQ. Not a detailed lens test, just your gut feel which is good enough for me. The E-P1 is so much fun, my M8.2 is feeling a little left out lately (it certainly doesn't replace it, it's just a fun little camera for certain shots). Thanks Terry.

LisaR

I haven't used the 25 lux as much as I should. It is the biggest of all the lenses. It is loud when it focuses that is for sure. I will do some testing with it this weekend.

I look forward to the results. I have a Nikon 24 2.8 and 35 1.4 that I am going to test out first and I may pick up a 50 1.2 if I think I need it, I had one and loved it but sold it a few months ago.

Brian Mosley

Terry- I'd love to hear your impression of the 14-140 on the Pen. Speed of focus, balance, IQ. Not a detailed lens test, just your gut feel which is good enough for me. The E-P1 is so much fun, my M8.2 is feeling a little left out lately (it certainly doesn't replace it, it's just a fun little camera for certain shots). Thanks Terry.
Hi carcam, judging by this video, the Lumix 14-140 is the fastest focusing lens available for the E-P1.

E-P1 + Lumix 14-140mm focus speed video.

Cheers

Brian

Terry

Yes, it's amazing you managed to catch these stills with the slow AF :deadhorse:
Brian, when you use the Pen on its own you don't really think about speed (unless it doesn't lock but that is really in low light).

However, when you shoot the two cameras side by side the difference is pretty dramatic. I had just taken the lens off the GH1 for the pictures and picked up the Pen to do it. That's when you stop and say wow and that is what led me to go side by side with them and a stopwatch last night. So, the extra few seconds of time I that were wasted to focus are not going to make a big difference in my life, and I didn't miss the shot, it does make your hand instinctively reach for one camera over the other. All that being said, I do like the Pen and will probably really enjoy the GF1. Life is good and getting better for photographers.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Terry, thank you for the lens comparison shot. I'd vaguely wondered about getting the 25mm Summilux for my (recently acquired) G1 but had no idea that it was so huge. I'm currently using 40/1.4 and 38/1.8 Pen F lenses together with a 40/1.4 Nokton on the G1 and am very happy with the results. (The Pen F lenses are tiny and have gorgeous bokeh.)

Here's hoping the rumor about Leica doing a 30/1.4 Summilux for m4/3rds is true. I could do pretty much everything I needed with the 20/1.7, 30/1.4, and 45/2.8 Macro-Elmarit lenses on the G1 and/or GF1.

Terry

If you look at the combo, it is clear from a design esthetic that the E-P1 and the 14-140 weren't designed together. The lens looks a bit big for the camera but we've seen pictures of much bigger mismatches. I would agree that this lens camera combination is the fastest in terms of AF. With my left hand under the lens and the camera resting on my palm, I control everything with my right had. Not a one handed combo. I will post more as I use it.

For days when I am just going out and don't want to take a bunch of gear, any of the m4/3 bodies with the 14-140 and a fast pancake will cover a ton of situations. I know superzooms aren't great from an IQ standpoint but there are valid reasons why they are so popular. Now to actually download some stuff from the camera.

PeterA

Terry - face it - you have gearaholicness.

Things could be worse though...imagine 4 MFD systems and a couple of tech cameras thrown in for good measure - I stopped worrying about how many 35mm systems are sitting there a while back..

the only cure is a new hobby. Start fresh. :ROTFL::ROTFL:

R

Ranger 9

This whole thing kind of reminds me about something Patrick McManus wrote in a essay-ish sort of thing about "How to Get Started in Bass Fishing." After Step 1 (which was build an addition onto your house to make room for all your bass-fishing gear) came Step 2 (which I am paraphrasing from memory): "Go to your local tackle shop and buy everything in it. You're going to sooner or later, so you might as well get it out of the way now and save time."

cdnguyen

There also will be that 45 Leica macro lens + 20mm f1.7 to come with the GF-1. I can't wait . Hopefully there will be a Leica version for it as the Leica CL-D.