The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Long story don't laugh too hard but....

C

carcam

Terry and Brian- thanks for the info on the 14-140. Looks promising. Is the only way to get one, buying a GH-1?

Terry

Terry and Brian- thanks for the info on the 14-140. Looks promising. Is the only way to get one, buying a GH-1?
NO, you can buy it alone but you will have to look outside the US at this time. You can get it in Canada but with the exchange rate being so hideous it is pretty expensive and you are almost better off buying the camera kit and selling the body.

That being said....contact Bill Wilby

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7912

I'm not sure of the best Japanese or HK sellers.

Audii-Dudii

We should have teamed up on this purchase and split it, as I am interested in only the GH1 body! That said, if/when you decide to sell it, drop me an email and let's see if we can make both of us happy... :)

Terry

We should have teamed up on this purchase and split it, as I am interested in only the GH1 body! That said, if/when you decide to sell it, drop me an email and let's see if we can make both of us happy... :)
Will do. Not sure what will stay and what will go as I'm just dipping my toes in the water for video. So we will see how much I like shooting and more importantly editing it. Want to see what transpires with the GF1 as well so nothing coming or going from my bag before that announcement.

nostatic

Will do. Not sure what will stay and what will go as I'm just dipping my toes in the water for video. So we will see how much I like shooting and more importantly editing it. Want to see what transpires with the GF1 as well so nothing coming or going from my bag before that announcement.
I've found that video lives or dies in post. It really is a totally different way of seeing the world relative to stills as well. I know a few DPs who are great still photographers so there is cross-over, but don't underestimate how different the skillsets are. And if you don't like editing, then video will likely remain an annoying and sometimes useful curiosity. I love editing when I have time, but I also love mixing music as well. Something about construction that is quite fun. And with digital it is instant gratification...but if you're a perfectionist it can be quite annoying to tweak, render, tweak, render, etc...

Brian Mosley

One thing I've noticed about great video/film... is that many times the angles chosen are very good compositions from a still photography point of view. The action takes place and obviously you have all the dynamics of timing, movement etc - but the 'frame' chosen would often make a fantastic still frame image.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Kind Regards

Brian

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
One thing I've noticed about great video/film... is that many times the angles chosen are very good compositions from a still photography point of view. The action takes place and obviously you have all the dynamics of timing, movement etc - but the 'frame' chosen would often make a fantastic still frame image.

Kind Regards

Brian
It makes a lot of sense. I think the greatest films that have been made probably came from directors who had strong visual skills in still photography, especially in black and white.
It's interesting that David Hockney tried to do his photographic collages ("joiners") also in video, and it worked out quite well. He "framed" and assembled the still and moving pics exactly in the same way.

Keith

ecsh

I would really like to see some video with this, hand held. So far, all the video i have seen has had the camera mounted on a tripod, it seems. That would tell me whether or not i want to try this camera. Any idea when you may have time to try this, as i know there is a learning curve to each new camera.
Joe

nostatic

Kind Regards

Brian
Yes, but video is often all about movement, so it is a piece of the puzzle, but often gets lost in the shuffle.

I watched Casabalanca again last night. Great cinematography and lighting. A lot of the framing is "still-like", using much of the surrounding to frame the actors. That said, there also is quite a bit of camera movement. There are many ways to shoot and attack the problem. Some think of it as a series of static shots that are strung together. So you shoot a scene from a number of angles (each essentially a "still" shot) then cut them together to give flow. Others think of the camera as an observer that is moving, and in that case it doesn't really translate to "still" thinking as your framing is always changing (eg the opening tracking shot from "The Player"). I think the best actually are able to see a path and imagine the framing along it, so maybe they are just thinking really fast as still photographer, but I think it is a somewhat different set of muscles.

ecsh

Thanks Diane. Seems its pretty awkward when doing any type of panning beyond real slow. Otherwise, seems pretty good, especially the low light stuff.
Better than i had envisioned.
Joe