The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro for a beginner

Thanks for the tip on selecting correct diopter strength. The more I look at them the more appealing they become. At the risk of sounding stupid, how do I find out what distance my lens focuses down to?
If it has a conventional distance scale, just read it there. If it doesn´t, just set it to manual focus, turn the ring until you´re sure you´re at the near end, look in the VF or LCD and move the outfit back and forward until, say, a row of books looks sharp. Then measure the distance between the camera and the subject; that´s it (it doesn´t have to be super accurate for this purpose).

Can you combine an achromat with a tube?
Yes, you can. Only, the achromat doesn´t add very much magnification over a typical set of tubes, so it´s hardly worth the trouble...

I just came across teleconverters. Are these used for macro too or are they what they sound, converters for lenses to make them telescopic?
You get the same close focussing limit with double the focal lenghth (for a 2x converter), so you do get about double the magnification. If you use tubes as well, put them between the converter and the lens, not between the converter and the camera body. However, converters often degrade the image noticeably.

MRfanny

thats a nice pic michiel. had to double check 4cm on the ruler to realise how small it was. how close were you to the actual flower?

thanks again Per Ofverbeck for your advice. I came across a contax mutar I 2X teleconverter hence my query but if they do tend to degrade the image I may just play with a set of tubes first and possibly an achromat to get a better understanding of macro.

Thanks again everyone for your inputs. looking forward to posting some images up to learn more from you all.

cheers.

2X teleconverter hence my query but if they do tend to degrade the image I may just play with a set of tubes first and possibly an achromat to get a better understanding of macro.
Example with achromat on the G1 kit lens:

The next one with a macro lens + teleconverter. This combination corresponds to a 400mm macro lens on the G1 :

G1 - Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 2.8/100 + APO Extender-R 2x - ISO=100 - Raw Therapee + Gimp

.... I came across a contax mutar I 2X teleconverter hence my query but if they do tend to degrade the image I may just play with a set of tubes first and possibly an achromat to get a better understanding of macro.
Well, the Mutars are absolute top-of-the-line... There´s some degradation, and I still don´t think it´s as convenient as a good achromat, but if it´s cheap, maybe you´ll find use enough for it...

MRfanny

petermcwerner - Im not sure if it is the subject but that second pic with the macro and teleconverter is alot sharper. would that be because you were using a good macro lens vs stock lense? or achromat vs teleconverter?

Thanks for the Nikkor reference. That brings up another question 55mm vs 100mm ,short vs long, which would be a better investment? Would it depend on shooting style or subject?

Per Ofverbeck - I had a feeling they were better than the average teleconverter but wasn't 100% sure so didn't bid. ebay is such an evil place..ha

petermcwerner - Im not sure if it is the subject but that second pic with the macro and teleconverter is alot sharper. would that be because you were using a good macro lens vs stock lense? or achromat vs teleconverter?
Both factors: The kit lens does not have the same quality as a dedicated macro lens (and the Leica 100mm APO is about the best macro there is, including its teleconverter). I have seen better results than in the first picture with the kit lens and a Raynox macro adapter attached in front. You can find some examples by searching this forum. The two examples I posted stand for the cheapest and the most expensive solution.

Thanks for the Nikkor reference. That brings up another question 55mm vs 100mm ,short vs long, which would be a better investment? Would it depend on shooting style or subject?
As you suggest, it mainly depends on the subject and the magnification factor you want to achieve. Most macro lenses in 35mm-land are 90-105mm. The 55mm Nikkor would equal a 110mm on a 35mm FF camera and is a good compromise. The subject of the second picture was an ordinary daisy (approx. 8mm diameter) photographed from 2 meters distance.

Cheers
Peter

JerryMK

Hi, I am doing almost only macro with my G1. My setup consists of Jinfinance FD adapter with;
- Canon Fd50mm f/3.5 Macro
- Canon Fd100mm f4 Macro
- Canon 50mm extension tube
- Tokina ATX 90mm f/2.5 Macro
- Tokina ATX Macro extender
- Vivitar Series1 90mm f/2.5 Macro
- Novoflex Bellows

I have used Canon250d, Canon500d and Sigma Achromatics in the beginning but fixed Macro lenses do much better.

Some examples:

For more see my stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elchivato/show/

Regards,
Jerry

JBurnett

Hi, I am doing almost only macro with my G1. My setup consists of Jinfinance FD adapter with;
- Canon Fd50mm f/3.5 Macro
- Canon Fd100mm f4 Macro
- Canon 50mm extension tube
- Tokina ATX 90mm f/2.5 Macro
- Tokina ATX Macro extender
- Vivitar Series1 90mm f/2.5 Macro
- Novoflex Bellows
Some really nice shots, Jerry. It would be interesting to see how big some of these lenses are on the G1 -- do you have any shots of them mounted?

JerryMK

@jBurnet: they are not to big on the G1 I will post some photo's later on.

@Peter: you are right and I have them because I started out with the Canon 100mm and cannot say goodbye to it. And later added the Tokina 90mm because it is just the best macro lens out there and the bokeh rendering is superb. The Vivitar 90mm is my backup and is actually quit the same as the Tokina.

MRfanny

JerryMK - those pics are quite surreal which is the reason why I like macro, very very nice. I'd love to capture video/stills as good as that.